Simple Strats: Throwing Mid-Font

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Dec 16, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

saromon50, Xzablaz, TeaNinja and 7 others like this.
  2. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Interesting. This is helpful for me, as I tend to play high curve decks (mostly race/theme based with a few rare exceptions).

kalasle likes this.
  3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, this strategy post is a lot more relevant for people who play themes that go big or factions that go big, like IS. Sorry, UD players.

4. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Don't forget 2x marsh song + FS bonus = 1 font so you can safely sacrifice as FS.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm reluctant to factor in specific things like nora gen into font battles. On the contrary, I think that generating a lot of nora would mean that you want to contest more fonts, because nora generation is an incremental effect, which is better at low rather than high resource levels. Sure, you can give up mid while remaining even on generation with the opponent, but that doesn't mean you actually want to do that.

And I never count the FS bonus in as generation, nor the SP bonus. Other factions get roughly equivalent stat bonuses to their champions, so the per-turn efficiency of champs already includes that bonus. When I say "70n champ" I am assuming "70n champ + relevant bonus", and FS and SP bonus compensate for the lack of stat boosts. That's an additional reason why I think that FS, SP, and FW actually play better at low-resource than high-resource.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Currently thinking that the next one of these should be over something that helps players who run low-curve decks, or maybe something about how to handle super-champs. Topics appreciated. Any newer players out there have anything they want to talk about?

mw24, Fentum and guokamoli54 like this.
  7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Low curve advice is a good topic.

Topic suggestion: how to deal with massive def dwarves backed up by intoxicated and various snowballing effects.

Topic suggestion: how to best include and execute soft counters, versatile runes, utility champs, etc. Such that a deck isn't dominated by 'seemingly necessary' hard counters.

Topic suggestion: top three tricks and combos per faction that new players should watch out for, and how to deal / prepare for them.

mw24, saromon50 and 4NIK8 like this.
  8. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

coughCleansingEmeraldcough
    Sorry, just being nitpicky today. People must love all the crap I've been doing on the forums lately, I blame it on my cold. Stupid cold.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This seems like a pretty good one. Maybe this or super champs next.

Tweek516, mw24, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  10. saromon50

saromon50 I need me some PIE!

Kalasle, I just want to say that I am beyond impressed at the effort and dedication that went into this. I read the article "resource-level theory" and I would have bet money, and no small amount to be sure, that I was reading a scholarly, peer reviewed, published journal article. Exceptional work!

mw24 and kalasle like this.
  11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Thanks! Very glad to hear it. I enjoy doing it, and hope that other players find it helpful and engaging as well. Your feedback means a lot.

12. GoldTiger

Perhaps essential counters every BG should include. For example despite what the devs think not having an equipment counter can lose you the game, where as relic counters (such as erode which was recently nerfed despite not being worth a spot most of the time) aren't as necessary as some may think.

13. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Not having an equipment counter CAN. but it most often wont, Not having a detection unit CAN. but again wont.

Not having a unit who deals AOE damage CAN lose you the match. Being a basic hard counter does not mean you NEED to have it or you lose. I haven't ran a shatter champ purely for shatter in years and i get by just fine as many others do

Fentum and SPiEkY like this.
  14. GoldTiger

You also play FW so it's not as essential as in other BGs (im just saying). Doom is pretty much shatter. I also think detection is an essential component of most BGs, or at least ANY answer to it. You dont want your font getting capped by an altered lemur in any kind of game.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Things to keep in mind when constructing a BG. How will you win, do you have too many ranged, not enough damage, no AoE, no anti-summon? etc.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You're in luck -- the next post is about counters!

Lushiris, Fentum and SireofSuns like this.
  16. Fentum

This is EXACTLY why I suggested this topic. There are very contrasting views around, and an in depth Treatment by Kalasle would be excellent.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Unfortunately it's coming out a lot longer than the last one. I want these posts to be short-ish so that they aren't so daunting to read, which means that about 2500 words should probably be the cap. This one may be another day or two as I iron out these length problems.

18. Fentum

No problem. It will be well worth the wait. Keep up the great quality work!