CIA says Russia influenced US election to help Trump win

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Just to clarify something here. All intelligence agencies agree Russia is responsible. The FBI just wasn't willing to jump on the train with the CIA at first that they(Russia) did it specifically to help Trump. The initial belief that it was just to weaken American trust in our democratic elections. The FBI verdict as of now is, a little bit of both.

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Well, for starters, I clipped his post on purpose, since I was just addressing that one part, but:

I have no strong opinion on tax cuts/economics, as taxes are a more complicated topic than I understand, and even many economists show little understanding for economics, so me having an opinion would just be foolish, though, of course, I like paying less in taxes.
    I was born after the Cold War, so, to me, Russia was never really "the bad guy", and, in fact, I've been wishing we got along with them for ages.
    Not sure what his last point is referring to (FBI, CIA, maybe, though I wouldn't consider them the same as the military).

DarkJello likes this.
  3. KingJad

All Military Intelligence falls under DNI (Director of National Intelligence) and those 16 agencies that were mentioned earlier that all agreed Russia was responsible are all Intelligence agencies including those that fall under DNI such as Marine Corps Intelligence Activity, Office of Naval Intelligence, Intelligence and Security Command(Army) and the Coast Guard Intelligence.
    Edit: Air force Intelligence as well forgot about them.
    https://www.dni.gov/index.php/intelligence-community/members-of-the-ic
    Another one: Probably worth noting DNI did not exist prior to 9-11 so for those of you "How can we trust intelligence when they got Saddam wrong" Each intelligence agency pretty much kept to themselves before.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Fair enough. Though, to be honest, I still think of Intelligence Agencies in general (I know kill me for the generalization) as kind of "different" from the Troops, if you get me. It's probably not the right way to look at it, but it feels like there's at least a level of separation there.

5. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Not a conservative or a long time republican, but after watching Obama for 8 years I figured it was time to switch it up. I've never voted because I like one side or the other, I've voted who I thought better represents me. If you don't want world war 3 then Obama shouldn't say anything about retaliating and just do it, now we have a Russian envoy dead and everyone knows where Putin will point his finger.

Stop believing the mainstream media for ****s sake, their has been no proof at all yet.

The level of hypocrisy and Bane Shift that flows from your liberal mouth is astounding @Sokolov you don't like trump simply because he's standing up to China just come out and say it man, stop hiding behind all that other Bane Shift.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I'd personally go the other direction.

US Culture has generally praised the military, and while it's still obviously dangerous, I feel like they generally get the recognition and support they deserve from the general public.

But those who work in the CIA and other areas of intelligence... are often not seen as positively, even though I feel in mnay ways they are doing as dangerous if not MORE dangerous job, often alone, deep in enemy territory. And if something happens to them, their families may not be told for a long time, if ever, what exactly happened. It seems like a thankless job to some extent, even tho in many ways they are also fighting for the country.

I know that's not really what you were saying - they aren't "troops" for sure, but I feel in general, they should be recognized as having fought for the country in the same way as troops are celebrated.

DarkJello likes this.
  7. KingJad

I get that entirely! just worth noting that all Military intelligence receive the same training as everyone in their respective branch, except for Infantry of course. Other than that same physical fitness standards and bi-annual training... marksman quals and all that. Soldier, Sailor, Marine first.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

All of this is true, but they also do a lot of things that we (the general public) don't really like (stuff like the NSA collecting shitloads of data on people), so they're kind of seen as a bit shadier than other government groups, rightfully or not.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. Sokolov

So does the Military, IMO, but it doesn't mean the men and women who serve themselves are culpable. That's part of the difference to me, it seems people can separate the military personnel from the things they were ordered to do and still support the Troops even if they disagree with how they are used, but the same benefit doesn't seem to extend to those in Intelligence.

10. Sokolov

Also, the DoD is in charge of the NSA, not ODNI.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Well, part of that has to do with the fact that it's oftentimes the Intelligence Agencies that are giving those orders.

12. super71

Bottom line Obama got elected the conservatives accepted it and moved the hell on. Democrats and liberals however have complained, cried, burned and pillaged yet conservatives are the bad guys?

It's actually astounding to me how liberals can be so blind at all the wrong they have also done. Next time don't pick a criminal to run for president, sit back now and shut the hell up.

Sorry not everyone is accepting the Russians did it with no actual evidence and just hear say from the FBI who is in clintons back pocket and the CIA who is easily the sketchiest department in our government.

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

up until spy movies (probably comics first honestly, or radio shows or someshit) started getting popular, america's intelligence agencies (i think it was just one at the time, but we'll keep the plural) were looked at as cowardly, unmanly, and unamerican by most of the country

james bond was a cia plant is what i'm saying

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Sokolov

There's a good NPR segment on this... let me see if I can dig it up.

15. Sokolov

By the way, who here knows what the "Voice of America" is?

16. KingJad

LOL

BurnPyro, Dagda and SPiEkY like this.
  17. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, let's not act like the Deep South didn't display its ugly side in 2008/2012...

18. Sokolov

He really shouldn't generalize conservatives like that ;)

BurnPyro and KingJad like this.
  19. super71

Maybe I missed the riots of the republicans ?
    Their are multiple ways to use the word conservatives if that's what you find so funn ?

20. Sokolov

LOL.

I am from Hong Kong, my grandparents fled China and went to India, before going to Hong Kong.

Most of us from Hong Kong dislike or even despise China, and for good reason.

Geressen and SPiEkY like this.