CIA says Russia influenced US election to help Trump win

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Obviously, hence the
    Trump has never displayed these traits before.. a worrying trend.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so you just made the same post twice but added a line?

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

so you just made the same post twice but added a line?

is that even allowed?

Tweek516, Dagda, SPiEkY and 2 others like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Unless they changed the rules without my knowing, in which case I will be forced to riot and call them out publicly, such a thing surely must be allowed.

Geressen likes this.
  5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

As fun (and easy) as it is to bash Trump... there's some interesting claims in the updated NBC story.

Mainly that the anonymous source NBC claimed confirmed the celebration intercepts (and again added that they are open to interpretation) has claimed that the US has identified specific Russian actors that handed over the documents to Wikileaks.

This to me is much more important news, as cyber intrusions or attempts thereof in and of themselves, while bad, aren't really "new" compared to previous election cycles.

If true, it also essentially damages Assange's credibility, given that he has repeatedly stated that the leak sources aren't Russian... and that's more he's said about any of his sources pretty much ever (though I suppose it could be argued he's just trying to protect the source... but saying nothing would still have been better).

If the report is going declassified and public next week, I'm curious to see it.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Haven't read it yet, but so far all reports point to a distinct lack of any actual evidence.

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Well, the declassified report specifically states that it doesn't include supporting documentation, so hard to judge I guess.

9. Sokolov

Excuse the source, but this was the cleanest/easiest way to share:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensing...ties-to-russia?utm_term=.wmy2l86yk#.gfBx0Bl6a

There are scans of additional documents... with some... interesting stuff, if true.

~

As a hypothetical, what would happen if it turned out Trump did collude with Russia? Is that Treason? What happens if it is? Does Pence take office or do we end up with an emergency re-election? I don't actually know how this would work.

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It makes it rather pointless, to be honest; outside of publicly declaring allegation... but that's sort of out of the bag since Obama went with sanctions and kicking out a couple dozen diplomats.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm sure it would depend on a couple factors here.

1. The nature and extent of the hypothetical collusion. If all he's done is received support financial and political support, while it would be a crime (goes against law to accept foreign financing for political campaigns, though no laws I know of against political support), it would not be Treason. On the other hand if he's colluding with Russia, for example trying to pull out of NATO which could open up Russia's options for aggression in various parts of the world, that would obviously be manipulating things for the sake of a foreign power... and could be argued as Treason.

2. At what time it comes to light. It could make a much bigger difference if it's before he's sworn in compared to after he's sworn in. As well as, obviously, if it's after his term(s) have expired, or he is otherwise been removed from office. I think if before, Obama at least would push for a special election, pending other details (see point 4), though I can't say whether or not it would be successful with a Republican majority Congress. Though it's possible he'd declare a new State of Emergency and use the special powers from that to bypass Congress on the matter. If in office, it's much more likely that regular impeachment processes would start, and likely no special election would be held.

3. The political climate at the time. While it probably shouldn't be a factor, there's certainly likely to be a large difference if blow-back against Trump's policies and actions are in effect for example, or if people are really happy with them.

4. Whether or not Pence is determined to be part of it, or which, if any, other members of the administration or campaign staff are likewise so determined to be part of the conspiracy.

On the other hand, the Wikileaks documents from the DNC and Podesta's email (whom apparently had the password of "password" essentially) have effectively been deemed verified, and include allegedly giving the okay regarding taking financial support from foreign agents: https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/11915

So it's entirely possible it just gets ignored or shoved aside by people in power at the time, in a similar manner to how these sorts of revelations have (thus far) been shoved aside; though I'm sure this would depend on the extent and nature of collusion (some things are much more difficult to ignore).

At the moment, there is more evidence pointing to the published Birth Certificate of Barack Obama being a forgery than any of this being true. Seriously, Arpaio got two independent forensics teams and both came to that conclusion, including one allegedly trying to clear suspicion as a supporter of Obama, finding I think it was 9 points of fraud or something. And yes, that's a recent development, they've been working on that for 8 years and are still going at it. I'm still not sure I'd trust it to be true.

I don't rule out the possibility completely of course. On either front for that matter.

According to the article, the FBI was already given the documents the article references months ago, and, so far, have found no evidence to corroborate their claims (indeed issuing an official statement that they found none a week or something prior to the official election date).

I don't rule out the possibility that they are lying about that of course, but I find it hard to believe that the FBI would be so compromised by Russian interests as to turn a blind eye to that kind of thing. But who knows.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

The Wall Street Journal claims to have identified the person behind the documents that Buzzfeed is linked to. A Mr. Steele whom is the co-director of Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd., a private intelligence firm operated, according to WSJ by former MI-6 agents Steele and Burrows (who in turn co-own the company through another company).

Burrows did not confirm or deny it was their material. Steele was unreachable, his neighbors say will be away for a few days. Steele has allegedly used an intermediary to decline previous interviews in weeks prior, the intermediary saying that the material was "too hot."

Allegedly it was Steele that had come up with plans to get the documents to the FBI and other US law enforcement, though I'm personally not sure if any details about such plans were mentioned or not, why they couldn't use a fax or standard courier, etc.

*shrug*

Seems like Orbis will either do quite well in the near future or quite poorly.

Geressen likes this.
  12. Sokolov

No matter your political leaning, you've got to admit, this election cycle has given us a lot of interesting material to discuss.

Tweek516, SPiEkY, darklord48 and 3 others like this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

If I was US president, and Russia told me they had footage of Donald trump and some prostitutes engaged in piss-sex I would have to do whatever they asked to save us all from having to see that horror for I fear such things coming to light would make the manufacturers of bleach too powerfull.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Speaking of which, this is an interesting question I don't think anyone asked in this thread yet:

The main accusation that the US Intelligence community is leveling at Russia is trying to undermine the US election by putting out the (so far all verified) emails of Podesta and the DNC which don't always show them in a favorable light.

Does this mean we should consider the release of the Trump "kitty"-grabing "locker room talk" tape an attempt to undermine the US election?

Now, obviously one source was allegedly obtained illegally, and the other (as far as I know) was not. But is that enough to make a difference? Or is it that it is an alleged foreign source versus an alleged domestic source? Both? Neither?

15. Sokolov

I mean, stuff comes out about both sides - so that's not an issue to me - it's just how stuff works.

But in this case, it is alleged that Russia/Putin (whom Trump has been friendly towards) might have been interfering - and that's a bit different. The HOW is less important than the WHO/WHY in this instance.

And ultimately, the biggest question is... What, if anything, does Trump now owe Russia? And what power does Putin have over Trump?

It's the same concern that people had about Clinton - where her foundation receives donations from foreign governments. It could amount to nothing, or it could mean she owes them favors.

Geressen likes this.
  16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I had that for a week once, was put in a hospital with light dehydration and also my breath stank of acetone ( because of starvation, not blood sugar imbalance) they gave me an IV with saline(which is fancy for water with enough salts in it to match bodily fluids) mixed with whatever is the opposite of laxatives. was fully recovered in the morning.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So it's the difference, at least for you, between foreign and domestic?

Geressen likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you do know that all of you are foreign right?

19. Sokolov

More like the potential leverage by an entity who might not have the US' best interest in mind. I mean, the whole dark money stuff is similar.

It's worse than it's foreign, but it's not specifically that - though the fact that it is a foreign GOVERNMENT certain is part of the evaluation. At least, if the Koch Brothers did it, for example, we can more reasonable assume it's the usual stuff, but here the ramifications are much less clear.

20. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

The Assange clone will be done to in a month or two and he will make a public appearance to verify Russian leaks.

SireofSuns and BurnPyro like this.