Running an exploiting deck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boozha, May 10, 2014.

1. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Nice! Very clever!

Rockhopper, davre, SPiEkY and 6 others like this.
  2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Is that him? o_O

Really? D=

As a side note (though, given the title of the conversation and the first thirteen or so posts…) - I feel this conversation would have been much more productive without the mention of the player or a request of a warning ban. There could have just been a conversation about the actual combination, though how I interpreted this thread is a conversation against a certain player instead.

If you actually want to report a player for something you feel is ban worthy that their account should be stripped from them... submit a ticket or contact Senshu directly.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  3. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

Jesus, so for this 'exploit' he needed A. An utterdark spectre, B. A champ with brand C. Attack with brand champ D. Cast domination and spam destealth. I'm sat here thinking how on earth can anyone possibly lose to that setup?

4. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Surprise.

A) Get the champ branded first. NCC or Priestess are pretty decent on their own and don't look suspicious. You play Spectre at some point and then get the kill whenever you feel like it.

B) Play Spectre first, use Burning Crusade + Domi to get the kill.

It's not hard to see how you might lose a champ or two to it.

PS: Brand is an ability, Mark of the Cross is the on-hit application.

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

So, KnightOmen, sorry for being somewhat rude. I should have put up with it a bit better, but I'm allergic to exploiters, especially when they don't chat with me ...

Btw, for possession he used Crown of Corruption, Stitched Mesmer and the like. CoC is perfect for that deck. It is a potent combo and once he had set it up I quickly lost territory, but was able to recover when I shot down his priestesses and then spectres. His final mistake was to transfigure with no fonts ... Or to not run Reapers blade, as he could have ended the game at one point when I had to run up to his shrine with my avatar to beat a mesmer to death.

6. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

"ban"

Lol. Just lol.

7. Boozha

Why, exactly? Exploits are usually banned in other games, so what makes you feel Pox is an exception? Not that I'd support one anymore, but it wouldn't be anything but normal.

8. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

because it's not an exploit

Rockhopper and TheNidhogg like this.
  9. Boozha

Debatable ... By all definitions I know it is. Destealth is not supposed to have such interaction. What it certainly isn't is a bug, so its not a bug exploit at any rate.

10. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I truly hope he was combo-ing crown of corruption with a blast champ so he could possess multiple champions at the same time with this combo.

Ballballer and TheNidhogg like this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I thought it was a universal rule on the internet, jokes

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh so we're using this excuse again

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Calling anyone out for something that could be perceived offensive, dunno

But apparently it's allowed now, or greens don't care.

14. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

It's more that they do not work on the weekends.

15. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I think the problem with this is that Destealth can be used even while the requisite condition of being stealthed is not met. Meaning, you can basically spam it without it actually doing anything. The ability has a 1 turn CD, but it's not put on CD because the ability cannot technically be used unless you're stealthed. Thus, the user can simply button mash for free kills. An exploit, I believe this is. Not WAI.

16. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Only fix needed is to put the ability on cd after use.. Problem solved.

17. Boozha

I think destealth is simply CD 0, JazzMan. In that case it only needs CD 1 as fix, otherwise, as you said, it should rquire stealthed.

18. Alfiriel

Alfiriel New Member

If destealth had a cd you could not use it again if you get stealthed again by a different ability in the same turn, basically cancelling your engagement.

I do not see any reason to do that to remove a pretty nora intense kill combo that is about the same as we usually see from Ipox... calling for a warning or ban for something you tolerate from another player, just because you talk more frequently .... just makes your whole post completly worthless.

People that treat the same "exploit" differently depending on who does it out of personal feelings towards the player, should crawl under the rock they came from. Either a rule is for everyone or no one....

19. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Boozha, near the end i lost some nora cuz i had to play restore life to try and get my spectre back. Something happened and one of my Spectres was no longer in the game after he died. So it put me pretty behind, since as i mentioned the Insubstaniate ability isnt working as worded.

Also, i find it odd that earlier in this thread you said i was rude to you (wasn't polite) in the game, but just now you admitted that i didnt talk to you at all.

20. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

For the serious players at pox (as opposed to social and casual players), I usually break them down into three groups.
    1. Efficiency - will play whatever faction, combo and battlegroups give them the highest probability of a win and will prosecute it as effectively as possible. A handful have the intelligence to identify these trends; the rest are the pox version of script kiddies.
    2. Loyalists - For economic or sentimental reasons, these players opt to limit their play to specific factions or playing styles and try to do "the best they can" within the artificial limitations they establish.
    3. Rodins - I say it like Ronin and it's a nod at Rodin's The Thinker. There are a handful of people who really think outside the box and/or can simply see connections between runes that the rest of us would struggle mightily to appreciate. They see an ability like Creativity and instantly make connections on how to essentially turn that into a juggernaut of death.

Personally, I sometimes get annoyed with the efficiency people because...well...they're efficient. It's boring. I could play that way but I might as well just dump a few more hours into work instead. I am ultra-competitive in work and in sports but I opt for a very flippant and irrational version in my online persona here which includes gameplay. On the other hand, I really appreciate the Rodins although I feel sorry for them as well. You essentially demonstrate to the world that you are really bright and then you must get punished by having your creation gimped because it really does make the game suffer. I remember how sad Truce was when they essentially gimped every way to shrine rush. As smart as I am (and I am smart in my own way), I have always had to pound through things to find weird connections (I think I spent about a week trying to figure out how to defeat HawkFain's unkillable shrine challenge) whereas Truce or some of the others from the past could have done it in the time it takes to reach into your pocket to fish out change for the soda machine.

My guess is that KnightOmen stumbled onto the underlying mechanics of this one; even then, he or she still had to do some tweaking to give it teeth. And, after the fact, it's easy to say it was nothing and that anybody could do it. However, it does upset the applecart and should get addressed if it starts disturbing gameplay. Remember that hashinshin, who was a hack and an annoying one at that, essentially rose to the top of the ranks exploiting a slag issue that everybody else had enough self respect not to use. Play enough games against good people and you get better and he eventually became much better as a player (still annoying though). The devs let that issue sit around for three months I think and it wasn't good for the game.

However, that doesn't mean you lynch the Rodins of the world. If you think it's easy, go create some exploit BGs. They're tough when you have to be the idea person rather than the sideline critic.