Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 5

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, May 20, 2014.

1. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

nope... it would be interesting if you could tho.

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, you can't - it's either DEFAULT or the other ones as you level up.
    However, I disagree 110% with the premise of being able to not use upgrades. I have a feeling that would lead to a game where you are in a race to outdeploy your opponent, and to me that makes the game no fun at all. One has to be able to use spells/relics/equips as well, those are part of the game.
    Running the "most efficient build" leads to a Moga bg type of play, which personally isnt my style.

sassquatch likes this.
  3. sassquatch

@Pedeguerra
    after seeing this druid preview, the theme/racial im most interested in seeing is the treefolk. they over-synergize every other theme.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, Trees are a very cohesive and powerful theme, I have no idea why it isn't played more often. Maybe it's because they require some build up, and people are mostly into rush and those sorts of things.

5. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Any question over balance can be answered with "everything is supposedly getting changed so you cannot tell its actual power level", so I do not see much point in arguing over whether the Silverclan is OP or not.

I do think we could have a debate over the value of fixed ability price vs. fluid price though. Fixed price has the benefit of being much more straight forward without much ambiguity. However, it has problems in that it is hard for it to take into account supplementary value: Arrow Eater + Majestic gives more value together than the sum of their individual parts.

Fluid costing (what feels "right" for a champion as it were) can overcome this relatively easy, but then you are subjected to subjective costs for the most part. I think this leads much easier into powercreep and it is what we saw when Corpse took over IMO.

One way to overcome this would be to have the fixed pricing but then attach a premium onto either abilities or the base price of the unit for the opportunity get getting supplementary value. I.e. 2 champs with 40HP/1DEF/10DMG/6SPD should cost the same, but because champ A has access to Majestic + Arrow Eater, while the other - champ B - only has Arrow Eater, champ A has a higher base cost.

This could be furthered to give faction identity: i.e. IS champs pay more on their base value if they have the option of greater mobility, FS pay more on their base value if they have the opportunity for greater endurance etc.

DarkJello and Pedeguerra like this.
  6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

You know, just comparing the already revamped champs, silverclan engineer does look kinda nuts. But balance patches will coem later, so I'll hold any complaints until about a week after the revamp hit

7. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

jpeg.jpg
    Fixed it for you.

8. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

That's exactly how things were working under octopi management, before the first revamp and way before that developer came around. However, I do think the revamp was for the most part a good thing, until that developer threw everything through the window and start pricing champions with a couple dice and (diet) coke, so hopefully this second revamp will try to bring back the positive aspects of that era (guidelines for pricing and more flexibility on building a champion), while keeping the good things from the later stage, like simplicity on the stats. Anyone remembers the atk vs def thing? or how many AP would gain a champion at the beginning of its turn back on the 11spd era?.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  9. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

11 SPD gave 7 AP = [(Speed/2) + 1]

And before that attack worked towards accuracy. Attacks could miss etc. Then it was changed to Atk - Def = % damage increase/decrease. I think it was 5% per point? Really not sure :/

10. Farce

Farce Member

Not to start Bane Shift about this but can you give me one good reason i'd run this new Abomination, it costs a lot and has no defensive abilities.

It ends up slower (and more vulnerable since no regen) than it is now and no one runs it as is.

Either the new meta is going to be heavily slanted towards high-cost low-defense units or I just don't see how he is going to make any kind of deck.

Also you need to consider the impact of swiss-support units. 50n for Shatter, Pers counter (aura) and Invig on 6 speed is too much.

11. Farce

Farce Member

Also noticing that it seems like Boon is counting as one of the 5 abilities. Please tell me this isn't the case or we're going to have to start lobbying for boon to just be removed again.

Edit: Definitely seems like costs are off too, Take Root is worth MUCH more than 1n and Pulverize being 3n a rank means Power Attack should be 4-5n? a rank, are all attack abilities going to be heavily costed?

12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's not a hard 5 abilities, dude. 5 is just the average.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

please DO NOT make Nature's Blessing, factions like KF will be porwer up with this, think in a colosal boa with Nature's Blessing and treefolk blessing, and KF already have the best cleanse options

14. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Take Root, I think, is 5 nora. The DEFAULT ability on that upgrade path costs 4 Nora and then, to upgrade Take Root, it costs an additional +1 Nora.

15. Farce

Farce Member

Definitely not the case, I don't even know how you could come to that conclusion from what this shows but according to you going from Pulv2 to Pulv1 is +3nora

16. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Yeah, I think going from Pul. 1 to Pul. 2 is +3 Nora. I think that is too expensive, but I think that is what the preview is showing. If you took his most expensive upgrades, Abomination would be 84 Nora.

17. Farce

Farce Member

Yes. That is the case, however if a default of +4 to +1 is "This costs +5" then the pulv 2 default of +6 to pulv 1s +3 means that you're saying Pulv 1 costs 3n more than Pulv 2.

18. sassquatch

you are misscalculating.... use the starting nora value when you change the upgrades. default is domain veg at +4 nora. if you want take root subtract the 4 and then add 1 nora, making it 3 nora cheaper. while boost treefolk would then be 2 nora more expensive.

19. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

no, they are all based on the base cost. If not, almost every other upgrade makes no sense as there are no -costs.

I think take root is simply undercosted for what it does, plus they may not realise it has Uproot now.

I also think Grant: Electricity Aura is undercosted as it is basically a very easily controlled aura ability that can be placed on pretty much anyone given the daft range :p

Tarathil likes this.
  20. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

we get it bro.