DOTA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dovahkhiin, Jun 8, 2014.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

But dota is so damn clunky and ugly to play though

2. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

Just a matter of getting used to.

3. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Why should I compromise and settle for something so damn clunky and ugly? Might as well play something else. There's no incentive to play something so damn clunky and ugly. Simply put, games that make you want to play them are better and DotA doesn't do that (for me) :p

4. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

How is dota more ugly than LoL exactly?
    About the clunkyness, when I transitioned from HoN to dota 2 I recall people saying that it takes about 200games to get used to the "chunkiness" (which is slightly longer cast animations, turn rate, and attack animations for the most part).

5. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

The more you play Dota the more you want to play it.

While the more you play Lol the less you want to play it.

Atleast that's how it was for me.

6. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Smite quickly growing in numbers lol its not exactly the same as all the other Hi-Rez games and its orginal. Heros of the storm is the same thing as Dota they would even go as far as to add ANOTHER pudge in the game but that's what people want.

7. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I have no idea how anyone can think dota is ugly. It's like playing a watercolour painting.

Turn speed and cast animation are admittedly 'strange' if you are a LoL only player, but they are really important to how the game works. It's key to make melee carries viable... Or hey, we could just slap short cd dashes on everyone (and massively limit design space for interesting champions) cos the game doesn't work well without it.

Honestly the only reason I prefer dota atm (and i don't always, sometimes I feel LoL more) is because the heroes are SO much more interesting. Practically everything has game breaking mechanics and does something unique ...

LoL goes for balance through homogeneity, dota goes for balance through imbalance. I prefer the latter approach to hero design ...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  8. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

DotA player reporting in! Been there since the first map on Warcraft 3 in 2005! Chewed through all other DotA-like maps and games but came back to DotA through DotA 2. I've played LoL for 4 years and was one of the closed beta people with huuuuge access to private Riot forums and tools and I simply realised they're going downhill as a company, so I went back to roots.

If anyone wishes to play with me, feel free to add me, nick's the same there. :p

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I was bored during LCS (yea Firk me, regulate is going to feel smug now) and i watched some dota2. (fnatic vs mouz, dreamhack I think) and even though i didn't understand two shits of half the game and it looked ugly as heck, at least there was action going down. I'm just so bummed out that I'd have to spend weeks to just get down the basics and everything.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh right, I remember that guy.

It's been like a year since I played though

11. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

Lol, Dota is ugly compared to a game that runs on Adobe Air?

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yes.

By a large margin. We're talking topmodel vs second rank stripper.

13. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

Son, what kind of computer do you play on?

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Irrelevant because watching pro games has nothing to do with my own computer

15. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

Not when we're talking about how pretty it is

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

How is it relevant how my pc performs (giggle) when I'm comparing the games by streams I've watched. Unless the dreamhack stream from last night decided to stream the game on lowest settings.

The quality of the stream is set, the power of my own pc is completely irrelevant to how good the graphics and whatnot are

17. Dovahkhiin

Dovahkhiin Member

Well, if we're discussing streams then no, it doesn't, if that's the case then I suppose its all down to preference. Personally, I find that league is a tad too vibrant for my tastes and everything kind of blends together in terms of particle effects etc. Basically, I retract my statement and its down to personal preference.

Still mad League doesn't have any proper graphics options though, but that hardly factors in to the argument.

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

things and stuff

I mean, everything is personal preference in the way that you could find someone who likes a ford fiesta more than an aston martin vanquish. Though I feel like it's fair to say that objectively if you haven't played either game league is easier on the eyes.

19. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

T14?

20. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Well, it is 2014 =P, '14.

Still having TI4 on ESPN is... interesting =P