So... Ravenspeaker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devrn, Jul 31, 2014.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I still don't know what you consider meta. I'm not a top tier player and I don't watch the meta.

2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Chickenwing is pgud now.

3. devrn

devrn I need me some PIE!

krikkwing alpha for magic attack.

4. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Cool, do you have 2 for trade?

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Cannons though.

6. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

I just want him to be able to trigger death nova on my broodlings again. :(

7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I agree with darklord.

Also @BurnPyro , stop making meta bgs
    Themes4life

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

But meta is a theme

please

darklord48 likes this.
  9. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

You have the "I want that superhero with ALL the superpowers" syndrome. stawhp

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

We just need to consider more than meta. Balance does need to be done based on the top, but themes other than meta should be somewhat balanced at lower levels.

11. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

So I looked through all the champions that we have to see if there were anything that we could add Attack: Magic to that would make sense. Here's what I got so far, and it's stretching it:

Ravenspeaker (ravens are magic already)
    Broodguardians (magic gun?)
    Augmenter (uses magic to strengthen himself)
    Broodqueen (no reason not to)
    Doomsayer (dooming sounds lich-y magicky)
    Dunes Manticore (mysterious, interesting interaction with petrifying gaze)
    Mantid Tracker (may see more play with Attack: Magic + stealthed + Elusive)

Out of all these, only the first two are usable ranged. Yeah I think Ravenspeaker is the way to go :p

12. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

BurnPyro likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Augmenter, morph, and shifter could all have magic attacks. Shifter could be made ranged. I don't know if they are meta, just that they could be changed.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I missed doomsayer too. That's just looking at draksar.

16. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I intended to post this in a separate thread (and still intend to), but: it would be great if Skeezick Wylder became a rune/one of the runes with that role. I'd bring it down to low 70s, with ranged Magic Damage and Imbue Stun, but without forcing any kind of racial/theme ability on him. Those would be truly optional upgrades. It would provide some nice magic dmg & ranged option and more importantly, a more widespread access to board control in the faction. I've heard the complaint that SL lacks spell based forms of board control and the champions are kind of limited too. Wylder would not be a board control spell (obv), but Imbue Stun is quite flexible in its use in game, because it can be placed on whatever champion the situation requires. Though again, I believe this would only make sense with him being a low 70s cost champion with no mandatory racial/theme abilities.

In case lore is somehow a concern for this, I'll mention that "Wylder" gives me the impression of a champion that isn't really attached to any particular army. Also, Skeezicks are a crazy, diverse and rebellious bunch.

17. devrn

devrn I need me some PIE!

Shifter with range? Lol, ok! Where do I sign.

18. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

There are two reasons why I am reluctant to give the Ravenspeaker attack: magical

1. Lesser Reason -- ""Attack: Magical""
    In pox there are all kinds of attacks. Lots of the psychical attacks have alternate names and animations. None of the alternate damage type attacks do (white lie, i'll clarify in a sec). An "Attack: Raven" that did magical damage would break the mold a bit -- because it would be an alternate damage type attack with an alternate animation.

Now granted I could simply call it "Attack: Raven (magical)" or just call it "Attack: Magical", but the custom visual effect does not match the magical attack. With the few custom alternate damage type attacks (like "Mouth Lightning"), the effects are very similar to the attack so you can tell whats going on.

2. "Meta"
    I would contest that the ravenspeaker is only "close to playable". He is seeing a lot of play, fills a cool role, does fun stuff, has neat combos. To the extent that I do think he needs Attack: Magical to make him attractive. There are 18 other SL champions with Attack: Magical that can fill that gap. This need is literally how other champions become "meta"!

Moving Forward
    Now could there be more SL champions with attack: magical? Yes, actually. I would trust that you will see more to come, either in patches or expansions.

As a note, Valdac has a bunch of new capabilities. Not only is he an Attack: Magical unit, he gives other champions Attack: Magical when he dies.

Nautilak and PurpleTop like this.
  19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would do similar to elven druid and go range 3-5

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If a subpar champ has to be included because I'd lose matchups purely because I don't have magic damage, that champ does not become 'meta'. Meta would imply that the champ is that good that it could be splashed. It's not that good, it's just that needed that I have to splash it. I just include it so that KF or FW players don't get a free win when they que up against me.