12 games in and still kickin!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xezno, May 20, 2016.

1. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Well coming back has been a major learning curve as expected. I suck but I just need more time and focus. The game is still awesome. Just a few quick things.

Pros:
    - Loss counter gone? I at least can't find one anywhere. This is AWESOME! Now when I lose I am like, eh whatever.
    - LOTS of rewards! Wow, I was getting random rewards and I was like WHAAaa...! Then I realized if I scroll down on that intro page there are all types of rewards for playing. I LOVE IT!
    - Grank has scrapper!?! OH yeah!
    - This guidebook @kalasle created is EPIC! It needs to be accessible in game.
    - Race is in alphabetical order in the rune manager! About time! Still not this way on checklist however.

Cons:
    - I had to rely on the forums to tell me how much nora I was generating. This needs to be in game.
    - I can look back but I am sure 7-8 of my 12 matches where against zombie decks and I hate facing FW as it is. Seriously can there be a feature that blocks you from facing a FF FW deck more than once a day.
    - Global damage is still a thing. Personal preference but I hate this mechanic. Global damage should be restricted to VERY specific items and by that I mean like a chopblock deck. Even then it drives me nuts. At least up arctic wails relic dmg to kill these relics in one hit. Seriously global damage needs hard counters.

That is all so far. I can say a big part of why I came back is that I see @Sokolov posting how pox will live on and he seems like a genuine person plus this isnt owned by some mega corporation. I still have not found another game like this.

On a side note specific to Savage Tundra. What does it have to prevent on death effects from occuring? Something to counter stuff like Coragh's Double Trouble. Also is there anything anti-summon that doesnt require me throwing a Jakei into my Lonx deck? zombies......eh

Pattn199, Lushiris, newsbuff and 2 others like this.
  2. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

I believe zero champs in ST can prevent death effects. Clone busters are to the Jakei. Oh there is a ferren that does it as well the ferren cloud wisp (But she is super Squishy). If you get your Ice Amp up you can a destroy relics with arctic wail in one hit, or you just have to use frost bite right after.

xezno likes this.
  3. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

If you put in that FW restriction you would be sitting in que waiting for a match all day :/

Having also just returned after a few years, I'm having the same thoughts as last time; this game is really cool, there's 8 factions with a ton of different races, strategies, themes and play styles, but none of it matters, because you will face the same FW deck with the same 6 relics every single game.

Same as last time. I lose most games, which is fine. I got steamroller by a KF guy using a weird throw a bunch of auras on one guy and charge in strategy, wasn't even mad. actually like the game more after, it was neat and different and I could have avoided it if I payed more attention to his dudes abilities.

I think this game has a lot of potential and the developers seem super involved with the community, which is great.

I think the cancer that is FW is the reason for this games small player base.

Qucas, xezno and Lushiris like this.
  4. xezno

Seems like a not so random, random question. Your implication seems to be that I have only ever played 12 games period so my pool of games is to few to be a fair judge of my own personal hate of a faction. However I may be missing your point entirely. If you are just looking for a number, lets say 27, but if you are in fact implying more, then I feel judged. How dare you judge me :p

Seriously though, facing FF FW always makes me want to just surrender before the game starts except I know with such a small player pool, I will be matched right back up with them.

5. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

Create a deck with counters if you see them that often. Seism does wonders if they don't have masons spire. Draksar regen deals with global dmg pretty good too.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Seism is not a good counter to pretty much anything in FW. If you hate relics, run Unstable Powersource.

7. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Lonx are supposed to outdamage such BGs, at least in theory. Gnark's Swarm also helps. About Arctic Wail, given it costs 25 nora I don't think it should get more damage, because with 35% Frost Amp you can destroy any 20 HP relic(you pretty much deny your enemy's ability to use relics), and even if you don't run frost Amp you can cast it so often that it still may pay off. Sadly it prevents you from running relics other than a Warbanner and relics immune to its damage(like Ice Shard, Endless Iceberg), so it might not be a good idea in some themes.

Also to @Compost , about FW, I really don't have much to say because I don't want to just give a shallow opinion, but I do agree with what both you said, at least partially as it would require a wall of text to specify every single rune and mechanic I find troublesome in FW and the runes that seem broken but are actually fine. Several of its runes deal in absolute values, so you can't simply change such values like you do in other factions, you have to rework some mechanics(I think we can all agree that the "increase nora cost" treatment for FW isn't really super effective), and that's not desirable at all as it takes a lot of work from the devs and normally only generates more issues and complaints. It's a tricky faction that requires champions to be efficient to have its subpar bonus work well, which kind of justifies it having the most powerful non-champion runes in the game. It's a tough discussion.

Just a final disclaimer: I do hate FW, but it's a lore hate, I just don't like Undead. As a Poxnora Faction I want it to be healthily playable(as healthy as Undead can be lol) like any other faction.

Netherzen and TeaScholar like this.
  8. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

He's been around for a while. He's just back after a break.

9. xezno

Everyone who plays FW seems to run Mason's Spire x2. Also doesnt regen hurt itself when facing FW because of Decay and such.....

Well I assumed incorrectly so I will say, I apologize! I personally hate facing FF FW because unless you deck is setup to face that one faction, it is either a REALLY slow and LONG game or you just die and are left thinking what just happened? With 7 other factions, I dont want to build a deck just to face one and at that I am just hoping for the best.

I dont have enough play time to learn all the factions and really I dont have the time to fully learn one. I am trying just to stick to Lonx for simplicity sake. I run Arctic Wail just for facing FW as it stands and I am going to have to put a second one in my deck I believe :(

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, if you want to beat FW as Lonx... don't rush. A bunch of people think "oh, FW is lategame, better rush them down," when that is actually a terrible idea unless you execute on it with great precision. Playing Lonx, though, you have bigger numbers and better synergy, so just stay defensive, get out Mass Heal Missionaries, and then drive through all their champs.

xezno likes this.
  11. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

The only non thematic thing I run in Lonx is Crystal Phoenix because it's ridiculous.

You could attempt 73? Nora Missionaries (I don't fancy them) with healing on both paths to help with the damage dealt overtime. Things like the Ailur concord might add extra weight for your opponent to deal with and put a halt to potential one rounding plans unless they really know what they're doing (which is not always the case).

Else, a well timed Arctic Wail (which has uses outside of facing FW, given the -2 def business, you know, Marauders and Bane Shift), Swap with Ranged units or fast self relocating champions such as Hunters or Ambushers can help you deal with far away relics or shift focus allowing you to move in.

As for Coragh or Champs spawning upon death effects, since Lonx Adept is ridiculous right now I recommend running two of them and finishing the champion with auras so the zombies don't get a turn. Lonx have plenty of one rounding potential (which might come cheap, really cheap, like really) and any of the assets the faction has might prove useful given the circumstances in the match. I'd personally go for the more aggressive route since I chose not to run Missionaries but it doesn't mean I can't sit back if needed since it will always come down to the map and relic placement.

Pattn199, Qucas, Willow and 1 other person like this.
  12. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

Yea that's basically the issue I have with it, it's not so much the numbers but every mechanic is just frustrating to deal with because they're so passive. Like they just put down 5 or 6 relics next to their shrine that passively screw you just for existing, or things like witches permanently cursing everyone for no good reason at all. Takes no thought or decision making to perma curse your enemy, it just happens because all your dudes are witches, and all witches just fart dead magic zones everywhere so you cant even throw your own factions bullshit against them.

Regardless of strength though, it's just a shame that it's so common, because there's so many races and themes available but you see the same thing every game. I don't know if everyone just likes undead stuff or they're really just way better than other factions., because I don't get matched up against other factions enough to tell. I decided to go with barbarians because I choose based soley on theme, I remember IS being strong from last time I played but then it was only dwarves, and I have yet to play against IS since I came back so I don't even know.

13. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Bae,

Welcome back.

Yours truly, mom.

xezno likes this.
  14. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Why does everyone hate me?

Sincerely the only FW player left.

15. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I don't hate you.
    *Edit
    Wait yes I do...

16. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

17. themacca

r u back?

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You said you quit

stay the skeez away

19. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Threads like this make me feel happy for playing FW and doing my part in being the asscancer of pox.

Pattn199 likes this.
  20. themacca

I said i'd be back at midterm :( it's not my fault they announced the midterm as soon as i quit because they can't stand the thought of losing me.