Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PoxBot, May 3, 2021.

1. PoxBot

PoxBot I need me some PIE!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Bushido likes this.
  2. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

Intensify has negative synergy with final word. It's really funny that the FW angel is the only angel that is "technically" close to fairly costed, since you can't use both intensity and final word efficently (I'd say resist magical as well)

Fw angel sucks in general. But Beth said it was strong and that FW players think it's really strong or w.e

3. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Sucks AoD and AoW are kind of bad

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

this is quite simplistic, the cost calculation formula is too basic to account for the interactions between abilities and stats. Pummel costs the same in a 5 speed 10 damage champion than in a 7 speed 14 damage one, even if the costing formula was perfect, the 7 speed champion will get more of pummel. So in this case a modifier may be used to make both champions valid. Another point is that as ability costs are fixed, modifiers should be used to account for badly costed abilities. check quagmirrian for example, even if it's a new redesign, it requires a small modifier because revere abilities all cost 10 nora even if they have wildly varying effects.

Bushido likes this.
  5. Bushido

Technically it still could work if stat points costs were based on rates; for example, 6 to 7 speed costs (total cost less speed) * (1/ speed*something else)

But generally I never was a fan of the formulaic costs of runes myself for the reason you stated.

6. Bushido

I think he means aspect of war? Not angel

7. Bushido

I'll give you an easy one; pummel with a 1hp unit, shadow spawn, and 20 damage vs a (equivalent cost in hp), 1 damage unit with shadow spawn.

8. Bushido

A formulaic approach to ability balance should be use variable rates not fixed costs I would imagine.

9. GabrielQ

It seems that you are a bit on the defensive when it's not my intention to attack you. My point is that with current cost formula and fixed ability costs, you'll still have differences of power on the champions just that they will come purely from the design. In this point I am not saying that any particular nora cost modifier is justified or not, I am just saying that they are not inherently bad. in the case of quagmirrian, I will have to disagree on your analysis. Conditional abilities are not supposed to "even out" the cost, they are supposed to turn in a profit, like camaraderie for example. and in the program I use I see the modifier to be -3 nora. and why is not revere in a upgrade? well, because it's not priced competitively enough to share a spot with other similar costing abilities (invigorate 2 is only 2 more nora, for example).
    If you make a unit with a nice, clean design for a particular set of stats on the cheap side, it will most likely come out as overly efficient using the formula. In a case like this, I believe is more beneficial to have a nora cost modifier than to sandbag the unit for example. But if you want, break down the cost modifiers of favored nomad, bok raider or yeti conqueror.

10. Bushido

I was using shadow spawn intentionally as well to illustrate the point; shadowspawn's flat cost on shank is a good example; it's much more powerful than shadowspawn on any other unit, because of the synergy with killing stroke. For example, if you compare with a regular shadow spawn unit, the unit can deal up to ~1 double tap of damage with shadow spawn, and shank will always remove a unit.

So if you don't know where shank is (top or bot) you have a much more powerful threat simply because of shadow spawns flat nora modifier.

If you had a 30 damage, 1 hp pummel shadow spawn, itd be much better than a 1 damage high hp shadow spawn. That's because shadowspawn inherently works better with high risk high reward champions, and a flat cost will never be fair without manual mods.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  11. Bushido

Idk tbh, guess he did mean angel of war, which is a good unit. Angel of death isnt in the same plane of existence as any the other angels lol.

Actually it's a much bigger deal tho. Tbh fw has got the short end of the stick on almost every patch. They have had 3 major and successful buffs, flesh weaver , morgana, and nether wraith. But they have had the most nerfs by far, and by and large the most unsuccessful buffs; witches are still insanely weak, the alt damage types actually hurt them, the equips and spells buffs did nothing (oblivion hex would be nice if ff fw had better debuffs; serkan touch for 30 vs murkwater weakness, dreamblossom, humble, inhibit, etc). Obelus for 55 nora and two rune slots.... no thx

Really wish that witches and some of the changes I wanted went through but w.e. point is now literally everyone plays sl when in reality draksar were already competitive pre buffs (certainly a Firk ton more than WITCHES).

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  12. Bushido

Yeah exactly on that. Honestly it would take too long for me to cite the specifics, I agree across the board. And honestly until Beth is fired and there's a new lead dev, any sort of real improvement isn't going to be implemented (truthfully). For every 1 good decision there's 10 bad ones, and so many things just get ignored. Beating a dead horse at this point, but I'd say Beth is too emotional a judge to be a good dev (or too stupid).

13. GabrielQ

Neither you nor me have the exact nora modifier values, because the formula is approximated by the people that make the programs. But let's say that 1 is within the expected error, I noticed the other mistake because it was too much.

14. GabrielQ

bok raider is actually more, because 2x2 are priced differently. but yeah, that's the point,

15. Bushido

I don't doubt that, but at the end of the day, Beth has the last say and responsibility.

16. Bushido

Ud get the +4 bonus from 1-3. It's actually THAT busted(well, at least that's what bonus description reads)

17. Bushido

+4 damage + range modifier is huge, aoe modifier is even crazier. Abilities like preparation and fire bomb are huge too.

Even + 1 or 2 damage at range 4-5 can make a big difference. Using stitched librarian with +1 damage feels like a big difference since he gets 10 damage which can kill relics in two hits.

Tbh, the more I play UD the more I think they might be one of the strongest factions, despite having very little healing. Probably going to give that title to fs or sl for now tho.

18. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Poxbox if I'm understanding you correctly. You're saying Manual cost are not needed because there are enough ways to tweak a champ such that overly or underly efficent builds don't exist.

19. Bushido

ur assuming that ppl can measure objectively op. which is a big assumption, 99% of the player base including beth cant math.

For example, if i said swap 3 and heal mass 2+ are objectively OP, i'd have over 50% of player base disagreeing.

20. GabrielQ

Well, you'd be wrong, it is known that certain abilities outclass others in their category: still life in a upgrade path with other stealth abilities is almost always the sure choice, swap is a very cheap and powerful ability, encouraged, adaptive, pounce are all abilities that are always picked if there's the possibility. I don't particularly think that heal mass enters that category tho.

With respect to the changes you proposed, DMr, I think that bok raider shows that you cannot keep the design clean and the rune balanced. RNG 1-3, and init 2 are huge offensive boons and you also had to increase the base DMG. I think you can see that that rune would be a problem.