A legendary discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tfguy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Tfguy

Tfguy Devotee of the Blood Owl

As the title suggests I'd like to talk about Legendaries here. Their new impact on the game and if it is necessary to tone them down a notch.

My own opinion on this is that Legendaries are now even harder to aquire than they were before. That is no problem for older players like myself, because most of us already own quite a bunch of them, but when I think about new players this becomes a problem.

The main problem I see is the power level that most of these runes have. They are, like I mentioned in the thread about the former 150k runes, "must have" runes that come with abilities which give the player who owns them a strategical advantage.

Not only does this create a lack of diversity in the decks that people play, but it is also quite hard for new players to compete, because Legendaries are going to stomp them. This ultimately leads to frustration when you are starting this game and it will not help the player base to increase and give this game a healthy base to stand on (and I assume that is what we all want here).

My suggestion to tackle this problem will not be liked by everybody and it will likely mean I will shoot myself in my own foot, but I would go ahead and tone down all legendary runes to a level where it is nice to look at them when you have them. They should be a sign that you played this game for a long time and so were able to aquire these hard to get runes, but their impact on the game itself should be otherwise minimal.

New players should not fear these runes, nor should they feel a desperate need to aquire them in order to compete, then I guess the game can create the base to be around for quite a few more years.

Zenity likes this.
  2. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

Play UD, you don't need any legendaries for a sweet sweet deck. :)

3. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

You are ridiculously wrong with each statement.

However most noobs indeed think this way, and something should be done to prevent it. Personally I think it should be a starter bonus with untradeable runes or milestone boxes.

4. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

Play FS you only need 2 exos for a competetive deck.

LEG runes are not absolutely required to play a BG. They just make things easier.

5. Tfguy

Care to explain that any further? I'd like to know how I am ridiculously wrong with each of my statements here, especially since you are giving me some credit with the rest of your post.

6. Tfguy

I'm playing UD and I beg to differ with that statement. Especially in UD there are lots of Legendaries that give you a nice advantage in the game.

Bloodguard, Vothsair Reaver and Void Spider would be good examples here to prove my point. They bring way too much to the table for their specific themes as that you could possibly ignore them when you have them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  7. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

The overall problem with your entire post is that you're packing together a bunch of champions, disregarding the huge power disparity among many of them, or their usefulness on their respective themes. If you were talking how critical is the lonx chieftain for any lonx bg, I could agree to some points. When you claim *all* legs are a problem, you're including stuff like the ancient slag, or imp alchemist, which are not exactly the core of their respective themes.

That also ignores the fact certain runes are available through the different cheap bgs (like hyaenid executioner, or that shardseer ambassador), which defeats the availability problem as for those specific champs goes.

If there is a specific problem with a specific legendary, said champion should be addressed specifically, but coming with generic "all X is bad" arguments is just void rhetoric.

8. Tfguy

Granted, not all of the legendary runes are problematic, but I already said something about that in my opening post in that I mentioned that most of these runes are quite powerful.

It is also my overall observation that lately decks became more and more similar at least when you wanted to play competetively. There are those runes that are always needed and that includes all factions. Only in the lower ranks one could see more diversity in the decks.

Anyway, thanks for your input. My main concern is not the availability of legendary runes, that in my opinion is just fine. They should be hard to get. The main concern I have is that I would like to see it more that this game is fun for everyone, starters and veterans, and for that I am also willing to sacrifice the power of my own legendary runes.

9. egami

egami Devotee of the Blood Owl

With the redo, Legendaries are a huge gatekeeper for players now. Since you can craft nearly everything else, you now have a potential hostage situation for trading to obtain these runes. At the same time, so many great options for faction play rely on not one but multiples of these runes. In fact, I'd say the majority of great BGs I started exploring included a number of Leg. runes I don't have and am loathe to explore acquiring right now. My guess is that growth and player investment will be ******** until this part of the economy is addressed. Easiest way is to introduce some craftable versions of the runes obviously. I thought this was the plan but I clearly misunderstood.

10. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Here you go:

Legs are easier to acquire now. Any noob can get any leg with relatively low amount of gold, and noobs are more likely to trade them for several cheaper runes or equal rune of their main faction rather than keeping.

Legs don't have any special powerlevel, except they are rarely terribad. Most op runes currently are c/uc/r and occasional exos.

Legs don't reduce diversity, they improve it just like runes of any other rarity - I run dozens of different decks, and legs are as crucial as commons.

You suggestion is terrible, cause nerfing legs would reduce diversity unless devs spend shitload of time cloning them into lower rarities.

Now I agree that noobs are going to blame rarity for everything — it's easier than learning to play. That's why I've been warning owls since the first announcement that we are not going to get any considerable playerbase growth unless noobs are able to run at least 1 bg full of coraghs and lamias and stuff right away. They can understand that rarity means exactly rarity only after losing to commons with most rare stuff.

11. Tfguy

I really wonder if you and I played the same game lately if you really want to deny that BGs have become more similar because of certain runes. But, I agree with you that a good player can win with everything, even just commons and doesn't really need legendaries. But we're not all in the same league as Tiny or Ryv or others who play close to their level.