A Marketplace Concern and Feedback (Set Distribution and Price)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ohmin, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

This is more of a concern for the future, but I have already seem comments/complaints about the subject, if not necessarily directly related.

As I understand it, the current plan is to have the "extended" set encompass 6 sets. Essentially the last 6 expansion sets prior to the most recently released expansion. This will be cycled through as more and more sets are added, such that it will always encompass 6 sets. "Extended" and "core" C/U/R/E cards will be available via the Runeforge as far as singles go. All of this in fine in and of itself. The problem comes with LEGs (as it usually does). LEGs are not part of the Forge system, and therefore MUST be obtained either through trading or through randomly getting them (currently 5% chance) in packs.

If any of that is incorrect, please let me know and I'll correct myself.

I don't inherently have a problem with LEGs not being craftable. The issue I have is with the size of the card-pool. DOG have stated that they do plan to continue LEG releases, though they have not given any details about when, how often, and how many. However, ultimately, it is very much a fact that the Extended set packs will have a relatively large pool of LEGs to randomly go through, at 5% a pack to get one of 66 different Legendaries (including newly catagorized 150k's, etc.)

While it sounded like DOG doesn't plan to release quite as many LEGs going forward (again, there are no actual details, I'm just going off of the tone of their posts here, etc.) those 66 LEGs will still cycle into the ever-growing pool of the Core Set (which also has Angels and other important "LEG" cards as well). It's not like they'll disappear.

To get a specific LEG in the Extended Set, you have a 1/1320 chance per pack. Note that that is chance, it's not like you're guarunteed to get a single copy of the LEG you want even if you buy 1320 packs (and you might, if you're particularly lucky[?], get 1320 copies of it, but by then I think you'd be annoyed that you didn't get that luck on your lottery ticket).
    In other words, it's fairly difficult to get specific LEG cards currently, and this will get worse if and when more sets are added, particularly in the Core set.

Since not all LEGs are equal, and there is no rune-forge to flatten their price relative to each other (some LEGs are easily 1/10th or less the value of other LEGs on various trade markets), it's not even a fair channce that you'll be able to easily trade for the actual LEG(s) you want with the ones you get.

For those buying new sets, the card pool is smaller, so the chance to get what you want is higher, and thus less of an issue, but for F2P players, or those that simply get in later than that expansions singular availability period, there is the above problem, and it is one that will get worse when more sets are added, rather than better. Given the importance of LEGs in many decks, this can be a very real issue, where availability dictates the metagame rather than balance or player ingenuity.

Also, while I said before that the Runeforge helps make the C/U/R/E situation easier, it does mean that people who own most of what they want from the current Extended/Core sets will have to generally buy 3-5 times as many Extended set packs as they would have had to buy of the new expansion directlywhen it gets cycled into the Extended set.

Which brings me to my final bit of feedback. $4.50 is a bit steep per pack. Even $4.05 (price per pack for a box) is a bit on the expensive side. Obviously, you guys need to do what you need to do in order for your business to be successful, but as a consumer I do think that SOE had a fairer price (I know right?) with $3.00 per pack (not counting their semi-regular sales on both SC and Pox-packs in general), even considering it did not include the possibility of LEGs (which were much too expensive IMO, though ironically now less expensive than it takes to get them now if that's the only thing you care about).

I don't have your numbers, or SOE's numbers, or anything like that, so I can't say what is right for you or this game. All I can say is that as a consumer,there are much more competitive pricing on other F2P card games. I do know and expect prices to be a bit higher due to the fact that you have to pay for sprites as well as card art/coding, but to me, at this time, it feels a little too high.

EDIT: Striked portion is obsolete, based on older information. Thanks for the correction Kvothe.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and in advance for any clarifications/corrections to my understanding of how things will and do work out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. Kvothe

Kvothe New Member

I think right now Core set contains the first 6 sets. Then extended is all the other sets excluding the latest one (bonds of war atm).
    But yes it is near impossible to pull that one legendary you want from the gold packs. But maybe thats what makes them 'legendary.' But whether its a good leg or a bad leg, that 5% chance makes my pack opening experiences just that much more exciting.
    And right now it's $1.95 for a pack...

3. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I just looked up some stats for Hearthstone, apparently they've got about 20% chance for an Epic in each pack and 5% chance for a Legendary. Their packs are half the size and price of a Pox Nora pack though, so double the chance for the same money: 40% chance for an Epic, 10% chance for a Legendary.

In addition, there is a small chance that any card you get is a fancy shiny "golden" version, for that extra kick.

I feel that those numbers could work well for Pox Nora too, and I'd love to be able to collect "special" versions of any card just for fun.

4. Mdude186

Mdude186 Member

I think this sentence holds a lot of weight. I'd comment more, but my brain is fried at the moment from college stuffz.

5. stfn

stfn Member

TLDR: "I don't even know what's going on."

You're welcome forum. Saved you 15 minutes.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Quite possible, but as I recall they did say that they would "slide" or cycle older packs into "classic" eventually. Though, if they don't, that just makes it that much worse.

Sure, to an extent. I just dislike overly limiting availability, which having too large a pool for such a small % chance does.

Well what do you know. Awesome. It was 4.50 last I checked before writing the original post (for new expac). This is a much better price and I'm happy to see it.

Yes, but do you have anything useful to say? No? Okay then.

7. stfn

stfn Member

http://i.imgur.com/l01T3kD.jpg

Saving the forum 15 minutes of their life from reading an irrelevant post is contribution. If someone gave me the same TLDR, I would be thankful.

If you actually spent some time reading the forum or even fact-checking you would know there are at least 3 other discussions on the first two pages that directly correlate with your thread.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

If you want to protest "irrelevance" than at least post something relevant when you do so, rather than merely insulting people. And also quite frankly most of this is for DOG. It's feedback. I'm happy to discuss it with other players, but if they don't wish to spend the time to read it that's their choice, it's not the intended demographic.

However, saying things like "I don't know anything" or that it is a waste of time (or that it takes 15 minutes to read even) is misleading on your part, and, other than the price which had changed very recently and without any noticeable announcements (on the client at least), completely incorrect.

Your being too lazy to read, does not make my post less relevant or unworthy of reading.

I felt like most of them were dancing around the point, or missing it for some indirect issue. While I had not done a thorough check of existing threads in the day before posting this, it's not like my current post would have changed much as far as the more important aspects (set distribution as concerns Expert/Core sets) had I posted it in another thread.

TLDR (by request): If you're going to say someone's post is worthless, say WHY at the very least, instead of being an insulting jerk, and make sure you're correct on that why.

9. stfn

stfn Member

The 15-page thread covered everything you noted in your thread. I didn't read your post but I skimmed it.

DOG read that thread and made appropriate changes in less than a week after it caught traction. The forum is getting cluttered with random posts which may bury the few gems available. Discouraging posts made on a whim can potentially improve the forum by pointing out certain flaws or offend the weak-willed into avoiding the forum entirely. To be honest, the forum may be better off without the people who make random threads. Not trying to group you in that category considering this was a well thought out thread and I agree with all of your thoughts on increasing LEG availability as well as the decreased costs from $4 a pack/$40 a box. However, trying to weed out the vermin.

In addition, adding to threads with similar content will increase activity. Which will in turn increase page views and opinions. That will then catch the eye of DOG instead of being one of hundreds of people screaming at DOG.