Add ethereal pool to ban list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ulfheobar, May 27, 2017.

1. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

I played vs BIGGA340's ethereal pool deck and did not find it too difficult to beat. However, I routinely lose to worms and skele spam. Should those decks too be banned for PS4 release as non-newbie-friendly? There are so many gimmicks an experienced player could use vs novices that you would have to ban a truckload of runes.

2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Try Vduub's fw/ud split. If he gets the right draw you will lose.

3. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

If it's because of a lag and disconnection problem with that deck, then it's a different issue.

Somebody just suggested to ban worms for PS4 release in another thread. My point is that new players will lose to old players no matter what (unless they got lucky and the old player lost internet connection), so banning this rune or that rune won't make much difference.

4. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

This is true in part. Try to understand that there are splits created that have a very small chance for counter play. I believe these type of bg are unfun and promote no skill draw win style. These splits must be disabled they ruin competitive play. First it was Aspect of Violence splits, then it was KF/SL infestor variations which were almost unbeatable. Other gems were temple of brutality abuse splits with barbs, and don't forget pre nerf natures balance ipox splits KF/ST. One of my favorite abuse splits to watch was when IS had the old Last stand spell and made crazy silly splits. It is nice to be positive but try to empathize with other people who draw no counters to some of these ridiculous bg. After you understand that put yourself in the shoes of some kid who just logged on to check this out and loses game after game to this. If I had to play against this bullsht when I first started not sure if I would be as excited about the game as I am.

5. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

upload_2017-5-28_18-28-14.png

I'm sure that if I were to play this a lot of players would still beat me. The only problem here is that these kind of decks are borderline bullying to newer players, but really the learning curve to get around Pool, Helm and Raze is not that difficult.

6. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

The darkness banish delay lorekeeper pool BG is pure cancer.

7. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Ethereal pool is annoying as hell. It turns games into Russian roulette.

8. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

oh sure ban / rework ethereal pool AND timeslip and leave NOTHING to finish solo games fast.

not a good idea, but i suspect the devs will love this since they dont like players making too much gold, theres even a max gold a day cap last i heard.

how about just fix the bugs?

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Can you elaborate on how it works?

10. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

It seems to basically revolve around highrolling. The mechanic I despised the most was the possession/scornful thing with the lorekeepers and pool. I'm not sure if runs spires but it was this slagfest where I was getting darkness/banished and delayed while scornful chipped away at my shrine. I won anyway but it was hella annoying. You basically need sac/tributelike runes to counter it.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ah, I get how that works now. Sounds kinda gimmicky, especially if you're beating it on first encounter.

12. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I got a big map where I could spread out my early 60 nora drops since I knew he'd be relying on spell presence and he messed up by sending a stitched concealer next to one of my varu howlers. It also kinda helps that I know how trick decks like that work. Finally, I saved bank to pop the pool. I was fairly lucky all in all.

13. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

the darkness /slave elf-dwarf build is very solid and can be considered a prison deck (look at my guild's first page for a decklist)
    . sure prison decks arent the best to play vs when you are learning the game, but to say that every strategy different than the most used one has to be banned is bad for the game too. Its a bg compleltely beatable, and it forces the opponent to change way of thinking and adapt his decks'strategy.
    As macca said, i wouldnt (and im not doing, even if i would like to) play this while im at low elo becasue i dont want to scare new players, but if i knew i would play only vs 1500+ rank players, i would have no problem playin it.

Fentum likes this.
  14. Zidiana

Zidiana The King of Potatoes

At least with skellies or worms you can see what's happening. It's surely a real pain starting out to be looking to battle on the field then suddenly your shrine blows for "no reason"

15. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

not to be rude, but if you play vs pool and don't notice why your shrine is dyhng, you are a really new player or not a skillful one.

16. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

The main problem here, splits, as someone stated in another thread please make a lobby for full faction players. I don't wanna play against cheese bgs anymore than a new person does.

17. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

What he's saying if you chose to read it instead of being snarky and trying to throw a jab, you'd realize not everyone wants to play against cheese and every now and then would like to just play a normal game. I honestly usually play one game, see some nonsense and quit again for a while.

My first game the other day was bazaar and then a split involving st and sp I believe, you know what I did ? I quit for a few days.

Splits are terrible for the game, it's a free for all with thousands of variables in a buggy environment. Imagine playing this as a new player, with pool sitting behind the shrine barely visible, with no chat for an explanation and your Bane Shift just explodes. Yeah so many people would come back after that.

As for your smart reply, start being part of the solution in this community instead of Part of the problem. It's actually been quite peaceful the last few days and I've had good discussions with most people lately, and I've noticed it's because a lot of the bad apples aren't around much anymore.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

keep on pushing that agenda

19. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

unfair decks are good for the game imo

MaruXV likes this.
  20. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

banned runes are still playable in pve