Agirgis1's Guide to UD Meta BGs

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Agirgis1, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Agirgis1’s Guide to UD Meta BGs

upload_2014-3-24_21-24-52.png

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

This guide includes some opinions which are influenced by Gillo

I will be attempting to help everyone understand how to build better UD Meta battle-groups and educate many of you on the various rune options the faction has to offer, I will not be giving you a simple format to run because top class BGs are about creativity, synergy, and more importantly personal preference. I will simple help you be more educated with whichever BG route you decide to take.

Part 1: Best current Champions for most BGs (Won’t cover runes that are good but are not core in this guide)

-Minotaur Sentry

upload_2014-3-24_21-26-7.png

· Detection, Evasive 3, 45 hp, 60 Nora and Deploy Door if u decided to run a few minos in your bg (Upgrades: Throw axe + block) One of most efficient runes in current UD meta.

- Bok Raider

upload_2014-3-24_21-26-23.png

· 2 Ranged attacks, Initiative 2, 75 Nora (Upgrades: Initiative2 and Flamestrike 3 for more range and dmg) simply great rune x2 for almost any UD Meta BG.

- D.E Summoner

upload_2014-3-24_21-27-10.png

· Invigorate 2, summon imp, 70 Nora (Upgrades: Tormented, and either +2 dmg or Summon Imp 2 depends on you) Very support rune, I wouldn’t run it in every BG but it’s definitely a good option in quiet a few.

- Goblin Archer
    upload_2014-3-24_21-27-19.png

· 57 Nora for range and good dmg , this is also a better option than gloom bringer in almost every BG (gloom is better in blood arguably) (Upgrade: +2 dmg and Encouraged)

- Hek. Bloodguard
    upload_2014-3-24_21-27-55.png

· Pet with knockback, Blood dispersal, Drive, Bloodtracker for catching stealthed units out of position (Upgrades: Bloodtracker and +1 speed) X2 in every UD Meta bg and or theme bg because this rune is arguably the greatest UD rune at the moment.

- Hook Fiend
    upload_2014-3-24_21-28-5.png

· 72 Nora , Battle Drum for power turns , and 2 pulls + a aura … I will say I heavily dislike the 5 speed , but he brings enough to the table to cover it ( Upgrades : both pulls)

- Demonic Wag

upload_2014-3-24_21-28-46.png

· Its initial form is just annoying as hell for the enemy , and when they kill it , it spawns a Impervious Gahlroon , Synergies well with maddening echoes and masochism ( Upgrades : Deafening aura and antagonize to make sure they can’t ignore it )

- Minotaur Battlemage
    upload_2014-3-24_21-28-56.png

· Empower, Majestic 1-2, 2-4 ranged attack , perseverance , deflect .. What a great rune (Upgrades: Majestic 1-2 , perseverance) Synergies well with mino sentries if you decide to run them in your meta.

- Minotaur Flamecrusher
    upload_2014-3-24_21-29-45.png

· Absorb , Crushing blow , and unstoppable very solid rune

(Upgrades: Impenetrable and pummel, you can consider protective if you run mino bg but this is set up for meta)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

- Nef. Griefbearer

upload_2014-3-24_21-38-17.png

· Detect, Dispel, Relieve, Sever summons, drudgery all packed in to one small 1-3 range 71 champion, very solid detect option over mino sentry... both efficient runes , id say run grief if you aren’t going to run many minos in your meta BG

(Upgrades: Sever summons and drudgery)

- Pit Dragon
    upload_2014-3-24_21-39-36.png

· Colossal with Roar of the fallen and resist magic , synergies well with a demon shield to build one hell of a tank with massive damage output , and when they kill it… -5 dmg for 3 turns to capitalize (Upgrades : Roar of the fallen and Resist magic 2…. Can switch out resist for exert but I think main set up is best for role I described)

- Scorched Dwarf

upload_2014-3-24_21-40-29.png
    · Mason 1 and Nora miner 1, upgrade to Nora miner 2 and mason 2, great rune deserving x1 in every bg… X2 in a few (I have tried x2 in meta it works fine but currently I’m favoring x1)

- D.E Priestess
    upload_2014-3-24_21-40-41.png
    · Relocate demon, shatter, and decent dmg (Upgrade: shatter and multi-attack, some players do prefer poison over multi-attack so ill let u decide for yourself...) This rune used to be x2 in every UD meta now it’s worth a x2 spot in a demon meta.. but if you are running mino based meta bg (UD meta bg that includes many minos) , it isn’t that effective.

- Goblin Spellkaiser

upload_2014-3-24_21-41-12.png

· Good rune with some dmg, and utility... I would list its abilities but everything it has is list able ( Upgrades : you can pick any combination of Hex , flamethrower , relocate foe depending on the style of your bg and role you want it to perform) I wouldn’t say its auto include but it’s definitely a good enough rune to make the this core list

Part 2: Spells
    - Demolish: Not a bad rune at all, don’t need to run it but its decent to have

- Fading recollection: I actually don’t like this rune as its 55 Nora and situational... most times people will use fade out of laziness, Run it if you want but cast it wisely it can win you games

- Fiery Ambush: Great spell, good for finishing off/holding down champions, if you kill a champion with it, you will capture font same turn so very good

- Fire Blast: pretty basic dmg spell

- Maddening echoes: this is a personal favorite and synergies with quite a few runes, you want to throw in runes you want to die like demonic wag or mino battlemage (Perseverance) to increase the damage of the spell, coming in at 28 damage to 5 targets, you want to always run 2 if you will run it at all for a game changing cast.

- Mandate of sheoul: Very solid spell if you run beaters such as demonveins , and it gives hunter hero so good for surprise 1 turn kills

- Price of victory: Great spell comes in handy to have , and dwarf miner can mason the shrine back to health after using it

- PureFire : a dispel and a cleanse , auto x1 to have in most BGs

- Retribution: Great spell for surprise kills and plays

- Sacrifice: Punishing anyone for leaving your units at low hp since forever… great spell

- Shatter: Same status as demolish but higher priority , Solid spell to have

- Superiority: This is worth a mention because of the massive range it has, 13 dmg within 6 spaces is some huge range

There are some more good spells but they aren’t for every bg

Part 3: Relics

- Head of osarius: great for finishing off targets and anti perseverance

- Orb of protection: very solid relic

- Mark of sheoul: all Banners are worth a slot

Part 4: Equips
    - Demon shield: great rune that helps deal with enemy ranged forces

- Tinderbox: Very solid EQ, has Aura and some nice healing potential if you have fire dmg

There are more good relics and Equips that I don’t see as core runes.

Edit: Added purefire to Spells list

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    uaChakra, Axeraiser and TeaNinja like this.
  3. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I Have left 2 post slots open , If anyone wants me to further detail this guide please let me know.....and let me know in what way you want me to expand it , Also give me your feedback :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Work in progress

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I would like if you could make a budget, a CURE only and a full meta bg and explain the synergies and how is the bg supposed to play, also, general advice on BG building like not too include too many 2x2 runes or things like that.

6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

7. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Don't forget that Mandate is also spot healing.

8. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

mandate is good... but its not core rune... probably best if u run demonvein with it , which also isnt core

9. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I would say that it's an auto-include 1x for me but that's just personal taste mayhaps, doesn't change the fact that it can function as spot healing in a faction that fundamentally lacks spot healing. Additionally Phase Spider is a good include in any meta UD bg, he's an amazing font contester.

10. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

I would also add that Wag has synergy with masochism. Some opponents will just ignore it. Maso doesn't give them that option.

Agirgis1 likes this.
  11. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

What's your take on Depths Doombringer? I am a huge fan of it, but I was just curious what the UD Community thinks of it. Tinderbox on it along with Searing Aura and Fire Feed makes it a pretty sturdy champ for its price. I've also considered putting Flame Siphon on it instead of Ethereal to reduce cost (casting Flame Siphon on Wag etc.)

Also, how about the Altered Lemure? Nice for Maddening Echoes, Healing.. oh, and dying

12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I think Doom is very solid... take ethernal and fire siphon as upgrades :)

Altered is decent.... im not a fan of it because i like all my runes to be quick in to battle and have a massive impact, which this simply doesn't offer....... but i see it working in slower BGs