All aboard the Nid train! First impressions (not a whine thread)

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by WraithxxV, Jun 28, 2014.

1. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Just some quick comments about how Nid bgs stand up after the revamp based on playing (probably not enough) and just gut reaction.
    P.S. I like what they did with Nids.

Hyaenid Bulwark - A really tanky tank that can do some damage with a djinn nearby, Bulwark seems somewhat unimpressive for 80+ nora when other runes have similar stats for 60-70. I think recovering Aid Defense could really help him, it was one of my favorite things about Bulwark.

Breaker- Good stats, but has never impressed me and still doesn't. Runnable, but doesn't really offer anything new.

Executioner- Looks quite good, but I have never run him out of principle, and will continue not to do so as getting them is a hassle.

Feshwrangler- Very unimpressive wall of meat with 5 speed. Wasn't very good pre-revamp, so nothing new here...moving on!

Headshrinker- Good range for the new meta and decent damage/hp make this guy worth his highish price tag. I strongly recommend dropping to Jolt 1 for a flat 80 points. Spirit Channeling on him is still great, although no more energy thief meens no more feeding it AP. Shrink went from strong to just crazy, it can really shut down a champ.

Instigator- They put the win back in Winstigator. No more impatient makes him no longer a dead draw early, and upgrading to Init 2 is pretty crazy. Always was a good rune, but I think his changes plus the new mass cheap units meta sends him through the roof.

Mundunugu- New range really sucks but Stall feels better now that stats are lower. Cheap and still good.

Pack Leader- Ow...just ow. Bland as heck with good stats. He's probably runnable but no longer offers anything over killing power so I dropped him from the bg.

Spearman- Spearman just never falls out of flavor. I love being able to go Scour over Poison (for constructs and undead). 2x include in Nids, as usual.

Spiritspeaker- As great as always, the big guy is an amazing tank just because he has to be ground down rather than one rounded. Essentialy lost nothing in the revamp.

Stalker- In a pretty strange place post-revamp. Price went rather high and his stats are average at best for a melee unit, but if he can get in and assassinate someone with his surge he can really turn the tide. Finesse piece, use with caution.

Witchdoctor- No opinion. I have never run these guys, and don't actually own any, so I can't say much other than that Cleanse could be useful.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Gnomes likes this.
  2. Qucas

Qucas Guest

What does your deck look like?

3. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

If dogpile works it will be a nice bg

4. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

5. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Cool, thank you. Really wish dogpile was working atm.

6. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

So do I, really weakens them a lot to not have it. I think once it works, they will be meta viable as they seem just under the curve right now.

7. Qucas

Qucas Guest

What upgrades do you use?

8. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Well, after trying them out some more, Nids are really under the curve, I think I'll wait till things get recosted to make mid-range units (like Nids) better before emitting further judgement.
    Which units?

9. Qucas

Qucas Guest

The Djinns

10. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Dao: Reflexes 2/Battlemaster 3, Ifrit: Surge Hyaenid, Aura 1, Marid: Jolt 1, Distract.
    None of them seem worth their cost though :(

11. Qucas

Qucas Guest

So I had the same upgrades. Yeah, they seem kinda high, even after the new costing went through. Not sure if they changed in price at all.

12. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

They all actually got slightly more expensive or the same. Maybe the meta will shift now though, that could help.

Edit: I take that back, Feshwrangler looks really sweet now.

Edit 2: Executioner is so cheap now that I actually will have to get one...dang...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  13. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

I support this train

WraithxxV likes this.
  14. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Ok, Feshwrangler and Executioner are very nice, the Nid train seems to be going somewhere :D. This is what I'm trying right now.

Dogpile really needs a fix though, it's totally broken now (doesn't even add the debuff).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  15. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Did you make any changes to your bg?

16. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Not as of what I linked in my previous post. Seems quite decent, but not on the level of the KF bgs that are so common right now.

17. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Dao became almost purely defensive in the revamp. The base DMG is sickeningly low for his cost, he lost his Glorious Leap, and he lost Initiative. I get that he's supposed to be a walking defender/buffer, but even when maxed out at 85 nora, he isn't all that impressive -- and definitely not worth 85 nora.

18. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Yeah, that's why I dropped one, he's not really worth it except the games you have enough Nids out that battlemaster can be great.