Altar of Votaev - FF death benefit.

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Hekau718, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Hekau718

Hekau718 I need me some PIE!

HI.

Can you utilize these altars in a death benefit battlegroup? Basically stuff with vengeful, soul siphon, and lots of durable/cheap demons (e.g Warrogg and the likes)...I wanted to try one, but I'm poor. So I'm asking if this can even work.

Post a bg if you can.
    Feedback appreciated!

2. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

I have it 1x in my meta bg for lategame ensurance, and to make sure my most important champs are back asap in generally long games (like deep elf priestess).
    I've seen some decks use 2x and then you should look into a more FW playstyle, cheap efficient units and nora gen (scorched dwarfs, flame siphon). I started my BG like that but shifted away from it as it didn't quite work most of the time. I haven't tried a full on death benefit BG in FF UD, but it might be possible

3. narvoxx

Some champs that I would consider in a full-on votaev bg:
    Imp Trickster (with split), his clones are 'real' for all purposes but nora cost on board (and doesn't go to the runedock ofc)
    Soulbleeder or Soulthirster
    Bok Gatekeeper (mostly because of efficiency with soulshift)
    Imp familiar maybe?
    Maxxaerek can be hard to use but is great in long games
    If you go the maxx route, deep elf priestess and nefari informant are pretty good
    Rather than vengeful, raze may also be interesting on the twins as a win condition.

What you can also do is include some one-of champs that are really good against specific stuff, like a magic immune champ. Through altar you can then deploy the one-of champs that are really good against what your opponent is doing more often

4. Hekau718

Thank you for your feedback!
    How would Altar compare to FW's faction bonus? My initial intent was building a bg that mimics FW's death benefit. Churning out cheap, efficient champions while feeding Vengeful.

5. narvoxx

The vengeful thing in FW works because of
    1) the units that have it: serkan, any champ with vendetta (usually also ranged, like lich king). UD has 2 melee champs (redcap twins and sheoul disciple) and one melee with a 3CD ranged attack (bok warden).
    2) the units that feed it: broken bones, bone trap (which spawns broken bones), skeletal berserker (which is 28 nora), graveyard skellies. UD has imp trickster and imp familiar, which are both 70+, and the cheapest demons (assuming you want a full demon bg when playing altars) are 58ish nora deep elves.

So I think it's not worth building around vengeful in this way in UD

FW Comparison:
    Lets you play grimlic and he dies, he's down for 20 turns. If you have two altars out you'd need to lose only 5 champs for him to be ready again (-1 champ for every 4 rounds that pass). So realisticly grimlic will be up again after 4-5 rounds if you lose 1 champ per round. In FF FW, grimlic would be ready again after 8 rounds, so 2 altars is better than FF FW bonus imo.
    Note that having imp tricksters die shortly after (with say 2 splits) speeds up the process a lot.

The problem with Altars is also that they cost nora. Dropping 50 nora on altars can lose you the game before you start seeing any real benefit.

So the better way to build a BG like this (imo) is to go more highlander-style BG with champs that screw over certain BG setups, and then indentifying which champ is best against your opponent, and then endless spamming that champ. Sadly I don't think UD really has a wide enough spread of champs like that. (some things that come to mind would be though 2 colossal fire giant, thirst for battle korona, pincusion/vothsair reaver, grimlic, resistance physical 3 warogg, immunity psychic bok enforcer).
    It's also kinda hard to play this type of BG going for lategame.

Maybe this is for another time if some better fitting runes come out.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention again, raze on redcap twins could also make this type of BG work

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. Hekau718

Thanks again for feedback.
    I guess Altar of Votaev is not really worth building a deck around, but certainly seems like a fine addition to a battlegroup. I'll most likely use it in my battlegroup (which I'm yet to make).

7. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

8. Hekau718

I believe you need to be a demon to feed Altar of Votaev. Altered Lemure's an imp but, Gahrooling looks great in a bg focused around the altar.

9. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

but gahlroon is so pricey :<

10. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

also, When a non-Summoned, non-Illusion champion that you own dies, the cooldown on your Demon champions is reduced by 2.

so running lem isn't bad if you want to sac him and get demons out quicker

11. Hekau718

I thought when a demon dies, cd's are reduced..my bad!

12. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

meh, I had to look it up myself lol

13. narvoxx

I've been playing around with this some more, made an FW/UD bg focussed on wearing down the enemy shrine but only tested it vs AI. Apperently demons that die while you have altars out will count towards reducing their own cooldown! that puts redcap twins on CD 5 right after they die (in split with FW and 2 altars out) meaning you only need 1 more creature to die and a round to pass before you can play them again! I'll probablby try this in ranked later