An Interesting mention to Pox on Reddit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkpally5, Jan 6, 2015.

1. darkpally5

darkpally5 I need me some PIE!

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

What's more amazing is Revs spot on advice.

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

also interesting, a bunch of the same artists that got pulled in for pox were also used on hearthstone

BurnPyro and Woffleet like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Nice find, if that is Rev indeed, probs to him. Always loved the guy.

Sound familiar, expansion before all else, into doom scenario? SoonTM reigns supreme.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's not really a surprise, they are all freelance artists who prefer to work on a contract basis rather than be tied to a specific company.

And yes, I can confirm that is the real Revenancer.

DarkJello likes this.
  6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

yeah, no it's not surprising- it just was interesting to me. they have a much larger artist-base though it looks like

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think the main difference is that while PoxNora was certainly successful enough to get noticed by SOE, it's nowhere close to the level that Hearthstone is at.

What I am getting at is that ROI calculations on "quality of life" kind of improvements is usually bad in a low population game. I am not sure what things Hearthstone is not fixing that the player is referring to, but their return on such changes vastly outweigh that of any such updates Pox would get. Even content has this problem: A piece of art costs the same whether you are selling it to 500 players or 5 million (assuming it's the same artist/requirements, etc.).

That said, SOE was still willing to throw a lot of money at Pox early on (even though the results were not what they hoped, as Rev indicated). It subsequent made it difficult to get approval for much else, and so onto the content treadmill we go.

If Pox was a smaller game in a larger studio, it might have been able to do more, but Pox was the flagship title of SOE Tucson, which meant it had to sustain itself, plus the Facebook/Flash developers.

Anyway, there's lot of stuff like that, and it's usually not anyone's "fault" is what I am trying to get at. Most people involved wants to do what's best, but they just have differing opinions and criteria for what that means.

8. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Contract work is where the money is.

Good read tho. I would like to know who wrote the OPost on that reddit page, if anyone has a clue. Twas refreshing to "hear" rev's voice :)

9. OchiK

OchiK The King of Potatoes

I forget what I was googling but this post showed up at the top 7 hours after it was posted, Google is creepy sometimes.

Lushiris likes this.
  10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

What I found most interesting about that post and replies was that everyone seemed to agree that the business model is unsustainable unless you have rotations, but no one considers changing the business model. will set rotations work for poxnora? I don't think so considering how theme driven the gameplay is now. poxnora is more of a turn based strategy game than it is a tcg. pox is a niche game that appeals to the strategy gamer. those who just want tcg fun can get their fix better in other places. so pox should build on its strengths. if it is a tbs game, then it should have a business model that has been shown to work for tbs games.

it lost its playerbase because it insisted on being a tcg. tcg = powercreep. goodbye sgtrategy gamers. there weren't enough tcg players interested enough to keep the game alive before, and there aren't going to be enough now. focus on the strategy gamers and they may get a following again. I cant promise that of course. but we already know focusing on the tcg side of things hasn't worked.

11. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

We should thank him we get a free publicity because of him

12. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

It won't help tho

SPiEkY and ptjimbo like this.
  13. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Good read

14. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

It references it as an old game that at best is on life support/coasting or at least that's what I got from perusing it.

Some interesting talk about power creep.

One thing I don't think it takes into consideration though is that pox has the willingness to modify current/past runes on a semi regular (theoretically) basis to refresh the meta.

There could be a chance of dividing some things into semi standard formats but not with the current population.

PurpleTop likes this.
  15. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Its funny how history repeats itself...

darkpally5 likes this.
  16. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

So now you will not let pox die?

Again.