Angels still worth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LordOtaku, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Qno2

Qno2 The King of Potatoes

FS one is not. Its a 90+ nora healer with some combat options. She used to be runnable over Boghopper Shaman because of cleanse but thats gone.

2. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

idk I think they are all slightly overcosted. Their utility and board presense remains very high, but I don't think that they are usuallly worth playing. One major thing about angels was how powerful they were as a first turn deploy, but now with some of them you can't even afford to play them first turn. Personally I think they could all use a 5 nora decrease across the board and they will all be competitive again. I get how the idea was to make them not an autoinclude in every BG now, but for the most part they aren't a good include in ANY BG. They were made to be good utility for the faction in general, but if they cost this much no one will want them in any deck in that faction.

3. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

@BurnPyro , sounds like he just broke up with you using a text message.

4. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

KF and IS angel are still ridiculously runnable. UD? Not so much. SP? Not even a bit runnable.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Let me just post for everyone here and we can wrap this up: the one I use is UP, the one those other gaiz use is OP.

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

UD isn't bad, she's a demon with Escalation and Intensify for 92 nora. She could probably lose about 4 or 5 norans, but she's still solid.

7. allyorbase

While this is usually the case with every single thread ever, I think some of the angels are twice as runnable as the others. The SP angel is clearly overcosted to compensate for the faction bonus. It has no unique base abilities in comparison to the other Angels, one of its upgrade lines is as boring as possible (M-bomb 1/2/3), its HP is 43 compared to the other angels' typical 45-50 HP, it has no defensive abilities (unlike all the other angels), and yet it is 98 nora if you take Aerial Supremacy and Magical Bomb 3 as upgrades.

Pretty hard to argue that a flying Pull engine who dies if you look at her cross-eyed is worth 98 nora -- especially if you're a FK player running an 8-SPD angel with Blessed, Abash, and a spot-cleanse for 87 nora. If Angel of Chaos has to be 98 nora to offset the faction bonus, then why can't the Angel of Restoration have 6 base SPD?

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Trying to change the champs so they look almost like they did pre revamp completely defeats the purpose on this whole thing.
    Let it sink in, guys, maybe they will find room in bgs once the dust settles.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

For that matter, why does angel of war have stab? She is 101 already, do we want to pay 103 to lose warrior foe just so she can make a physical attack instead of a magical attack?

allyorbase likes this.
  10. allyorbase

The SL and SP Angels really don't make any sense. They're not "bad," they're just too expensive. Both need a cost decrease, and both need some consideration for their upgrade choices' costs.

11. PurpleTop

I've been thinking it over for the SP angel.... what I think would be a push in the right direction would simply be: Distract to base. Then put something in place of the distract upgrade..... maybe some defensive ability. I was thinking either Tough 1 or +2 defense..... No base cost change.

reall there are a lot of options that could fill that spot in the upgrades, but I think that distract to base with no cost change would be a good start. I haven't really looked too much into the other angels in this way but i think that similar changes could be done to most of them.

allyorbase likes this.
  12. allyorbase

The protectorate angels are all very, very good (ST is the "least" amazing of them), in particular, because all of them have solid defensive abilities (Abash, Charm+Crystallize, Enlightened+Regen3, and Trail: Hollowed+Righteous Shield). On the wrath side, the defense is a little more back-loaded or situational: Lifedrinker, Warrior Foe+4 DEF after Intensify, and Bleed).

That leaves the Angel of Chaos as being not only the angel with the lowest base HP, but also the only one without a single defensive ability -- while still being as expensive or more so than the other angels. Moving Distract to base without a cost change and giving Evasive 1 or 2 as an upgrade choice in its place would be a start.

13. PurpleTop

If you look at all the angels, the change for all of them follows the same basic format. They all have a basic attack, flight, and intensify. Then all of them kept one of their defining abilities on base. Pull for angel of chaos, Battle leader for Angel of war, etc (except angel of pain who kept two, which is fair considering the role). Then they made Stab and Arial Supremacy, as well as one less-defining ability available as an upgrade. I like how they did this; it keeps it consistant. But with this in mind, I still think that they are for the most part overcosted. If they were to be fixed, however, I would like to see this general format kept across the board. It gives significance to the angels being iconic utility runes for the faction. So with that being said, really I think that the best way to address the problem would be nothing more than a striaght nora decrease to most if not all of the angels. I liked the principle of their change, i just think it was carried out a bit extreme

allyorbase likes this.
  14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I think Stab made sense as an upgrade for champs with a higher range. Perhaps give Angel of War range 2-4 or something.

15. allyorbase

The biggest problem with the SP Angel, in particular, though, is not that she has no defensive abilities or that she's expensive, but that she has only 43 HP and 1 DEF. All said and counted, she's just way too squishy to justify running over a Vicious Harpoon equip. Sure, that takes up a rune slot, but it's cheap and I can spot-deploy it, and there are plenty of great champs to put it on which -- when combined with the cost of Harpoon -- wind up being only a tad more expensive and "better" overall.

16. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

NEVER trade runes like that into Poxbox. People talk about sharks ripping people off.... Poxbox has one of the most ridiculous trade values on the majority of high end runes that it puts them on a much higher level of sharking than anyone.

17. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

I like angels and ranged champs atm in general. Because have low dmg. Or at least should have low dmg

18. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

As a guy who owns them all, meh.

On the topic of stab mentioned above, I just don't know why, when they changed Paingel to attack: physical, does she still have stab...
    SP angel I actually thing is really good for the range, and abilities, it's just the price that needs toning down (But I think a patch is coming for higher-costed champs in general -- But I really don't see how it would be cheaper than Angel of Death who know has LoL attacks)
    Like, I miss having both Deflect + Trail on IS angel, but other than that I'd still run her (assuming sweeping nora decreases pending) -- Sad thing is my favorite IS theme and largely why I wanted these is Paladins...and that's been butchered, but that's a separate thread.

People have said several times over: Battle Leader is overcosted. To be fair, the highest survivability potential belongs to Warangel (Mostly due to faction but still).
    FS Angel is still amazing for the heal, but she does compete with a bog that can do very similarly, I think she needs something to set her apart.

I don't get why KF angel got the benefit of the range decrease, I think they should all get the same treatment in favor of better costs. It seems like 3-4 could be the started for all but UD and SL.

I wonder if Intensify cost was decided in consideration of mechanics like Decay or perma inhibit?

Imperatrix likes this.
  19. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Paladins QQ :(

20. LordOtaku

LordOtaku The King of Potatoes

So far I think ST angel is solid. I won a game after perseverance activaded and on the next turn it healed to full HP with intensify. But I still think iconic runes like the angels can be stronger but with a cheap counter part for non paying players.