Announcement: Attack Crusade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am going on a crusade to fix attacks that don't count as attacks (for example, Starlight and Pounce does not respect Blinded, Telekentic Thrust can be used by Incorporeal champions, etc.).

Please list any and all instances you know of where this is happening.

What will happen is some of these will be redesigned/coded so they count as attacks properly, others will simply have their descriptions changed so that they no longer claim to be attacks.

Known:

Shrive - Bypasses Blinded and other on attack triggers, check conditional for Dispel
    Stone Barrage - Can be used by Incorporeal champions
    Censure - Bypasses Blinded and other on attack triggers
    Starlight - Bypasses Blinded and other on attack triggers
    Telekinetic Thrust - Can be used by Incorporeal champions
    Pounce - Bypasses Blinded and other on attack triggers
    X Nova - Counts as an attack for some purposes, but can be used by Incorporeal champions
    Flamethrower and other line attacks - Behavior is different if the a unit is on the tile you target

Fixed for Next Patch:

Pounce
    This champion is relocated to the closest non-damaging space to target enemy unit within 5 spaces and deals Physical damage at +2 DMG against the target if able.
    Note: Making this an attack is still being investigated. In the meantime, it will have its description edited so that it no longer says it is an attack.

Frigid Lance (formerly Freezing Strike)
    This champion makes a Frost attack at RNG 2-5. If the target is occupying Ice, Snow or is <condition value=frozen>Frozen</condition> and is successfully damaged, the target also becomes <condition value=chilled>Chilled</condition> for 3 turns and <condition value=inhibited>Inhibited</condition> for 3 turns.
    Note: Now properly counts as an attack and uses the Burning Sandspout template.

Censure
    This champion makes a Loss of Life attack at RNG 2-5. If the target is occupying Dead Magic Zone or is <condition alue=cursed>Cursed</condition> and is successfully damaged, the target also it takes an additional 3 Psychic damage and loses all AP.
    Note: Now properly counts as an attack and uses the Burning Sandspout template.

Starlight
    This champion makes a Magical attack at RNG 2-5. If the target is successfully damaged, it also takes an additional 2 damage for each champion with Race: Fairy or <ability value=544>Attack: Magical</ability> within 5 spaces of this champion (the additional damage ignores DEF).
    Note: Now properly counts as an attack. The additional damage is dealt separately as a package.

Telekenetic Thrust
    Note: No longer usable while Incorporeal.

Stone Barrage
    Note: No longer usable while Incorporeal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    mortal ix, super71, Kampel and 7 others like this.
  2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I saw Attack Crusade and thought it sounded like an awesome feature...

mortal ix, super71, Dagda and 8 others like this.
  3. Sokolov

I am mostly concerned with single target things because those are more easily fixed.

I'd say we can count those (such as Flamethrower), at least for the purposes of this exercise, but it's really quite a mess, the underlying reasons for it are complex but it amounts to the fact that the core concept of attacks in Pox is single target based on the unit's DMG. Anything that does something wonky (like Starlight or Flamethrower) is "flagged" as ATTACK_ABILITY, but that's not consistent in how it is dealt with various parts of the game.

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

New ability for the inquisition?

5. Sokolov

So Flamethrower is an example where it is on the attack chain and is technically an attack on that level but bypasses Blinded because it doesn't directly target anything. I think most players are ok with that understanding.

But something like Censure or Starlight doesn't make any sense from this perspective.

Novas should probably work like Flamethrower in this respect, though that is quite a bit of a nerf if it goes on the attack chain. But in either case, it is usable by Incorporeal and is less of an attack than Flamethrower so there's still problems to resolve even if it doesn't end up going on the attack chain.

6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

And flamethrower has more problems, if you target a champ with it instead of picking an empty slot in the effect line it used to trigger counter attack ranged and bypass combat awareness, if not, it acted like a bomb's AoE.
    Havent tested this lately tho

7. Sokolov

Yea, that makes sense. Since the champion was clicked on, it was considered "targeted" by the ability, which is considered an attack.

8. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Bomb works like that too, you cant bomb a zone if the target square has a champ with impenetrable, for example. Bombs and alikes shouldnt count as "targetting".
    I think Artillery Strike has the same issue

9. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Well it isnt exactly this case, but I bet Shrive should be looked into, it's pretty weird.

10. Sokolov

It counts.

11. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I think stone barrage can be used while incorporeal.

12. Sokolov

Indeed. I forgot about that one even tho someone mentioned it to me right before I did this thread.

13. Sokolov

It's actually in the same class as Censure/Starlight. It is an attack for certain purposes, but will bypass Blinded, etc.

14. Sokolov

Glancing at the code, it appears to Dispel before it does damage, but it's possible something else is going on as well. I'll make a note to check that.

15. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Are 0 damage attacks "unsuccessful"? A common occurrence is it never dispelling a 'bubble' or having a 0 damage attack against a buffed SL champ. These attacks never dispel from my experience.

16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Wait is Telekinetic Thrust an attack? I thought you had consolidated it into an ability.

Also, what about Impact Strike/Euan's Hammer? I know they used to bypass some interactions, not sure which anymore though.

17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

What about blood rage, it doesnt become more expensive but it furthers the attack chain when used

Kampel and darklord48 like this.
  18. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

FFS i thought this was a "feature"

Beserk attack, power attack go through split.

Loss of Life SHOULD go through all (including elusive imo).

Curse IS an attack and shouldn't be (it does...5 damage lmfao).

Battle leader works with aoe.

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Berserk attack is meant to, split only triggers on basic

No it shouldn't it does go through everything else that doesnt cause a miss

It should be

It's meant to

Tweek516 likes this.
  20. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Well, it's really just a wording thing (this counts a a basic attack) would change it. TBH, I think clauses like berserk not triggering split are a problem. It causes split to be too strong unless countered properly. I'd rather see less counters in general, so I can expect relatively the same thing every time I deploy a rune, and have a more deep design based gameplay.