Another One Bites the Dust

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Reports indicate Turkey shot down a Russian jet today.

Discuss.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

It is kind of good for the US's geopolitical interests because Turkey had been getting slightly cozier with Russia. That is almost certainly at an end. It is bad because this also might start a war with Russia, and as a member of NATO we are obliged to help defend Turkey if it is attacked.

Net result: I don't know. I guess we will see how the Russians react. I am guessing it won't actually lead to war though.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. doubtofbuddha

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

russia violates airspaces all the time, even the unresponsiveness is par the course. I don't think they expected the turks to actually bring it to the logical conclusion of unresponsive fighter-bomber warplanes near a warzone.

probably wont escalate beyond a minor political slapfight.

pretty much they are supporting diffirent factions in the civil war quagmire that is syria and now turkey protecting its borders made 2 russians dead because they bailed out of their fiery deathcrash machine and landed in the middle of some anti-assad non-Isis rebels that they had been bombing.

this gives some overview over who backs and fights whom in this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/w...verlapping-agendas-and-competing-visions.html

the question is how will these alliegiances change following recent events.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    DarkJello likes this.
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Anyone have insight on the political climate inside Russia?

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Ragic and DarkJello like this.
  7. Ragic

whats that second pic?

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. Ragic

Oh and epic rap battles is a great example of why I troll these forums. Awesome.

Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

anyways kinda like how China seems reasonable next to North korea. Russia seems reasonable because you got Belarus with their dictator and his son, Bond vilian in training; 'the boy with the golden gun'
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Reality is borth China and Russia are opressive and crappy places for freedom.

11. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

Weird thing is Turkey and France are members of NATO. Turkey supports ISIS. ISIS attacks Paris.... and yet both Turkey and France remain in that same alliance...Some NATO...

And why be obliged to defend a country that is pro-ISIS and be hostile towards one that is anti-ISIS. To this day, Turkey still has not cut off ISIS' supply lines but is considered an "ally" of France. NATO has very little credibility.

12. doubtofbuddha

Turkey supports ISIS? Really? What planet are you from?

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

turkey supports rebel factions that oppose Assad, Assad is allied to russia, rusia has been bombing mostly the anti-assad rebel held areas ( as opposed to bombing only ISIS held areas like the US.

there are also some conspiracy theorists who think Turkey is supplying ISIS so ISIS kills kurds, because turks and kurds don't like eachother, while ISIS is actually more likely getting funding trough places like Saudi arabia, wich is allied to the US.

Of course Assad and Russia say all rebels = ISIS because the other rebels are a threat to Assad and thus russia's influence in the area.

some of the anti assad rebels are of a group/tribe/area where they are considered "brother turks" to turkey wich makes turkey support them, again does not jive with the russians 'keep assad in power' view of the area.

DarkJello likes this.
  14. DarkJello

I understood that Turkey "begrudgingly" has been bombing ISIS in recent months. Not sure where I read that.

I think we can all agree that the situation yonder is getting both murky and confuzzling.

15. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

Yes. Turkey supports ISIS. I am currently in Lebanon, just a couple of hours away from both Syria and Turkey. I am not pulling this out of my ass.

16. DarkJello

Most interesting! In Lebanon for vakay, work, or residency??

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

how does turkey support Isis?, give us details please?

18. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

I currently work and reside here.

DarkJello likes this.
  19. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

you are insane, it wont start a war with russia fool. i cant believe u even suggested that. and nato only works if your country is important enough to the united states to defend.(western europe/north america) any other nato country the US wouldnt go to war for. (against a country like russia any). being in nato is just a deterrent for most of its members.

you really need to ready a book or something... wtf...

turkey cant go to war with russia just in case you didnt know. turkey would last like a freaking week.

20. doubtofbuddha

I said "It will not actually lead to war."

Did you even read what I wrote?

And historically wars have started for far more stupid reasons. Have you even heard of World War 1?

It would set a hugely bad precedent if a member country invoked the NATO defense pact clause and the US did not respond. It would show it to be a sham and probably cause the entire organization to collapse.

Anima26 and DarkJello like this.