Another Renovator Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dantezz, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

I have had a few days to play with and against the renovators and I have read a few threads. I agree with many players that the Renovator is too powerful for its cost. Of course the drawbacks are that is has low defense and has no support abilities, but the high damage potential and midrange advantages seem to far outweigh the disadvantages. However I do love the idea of doing high damage to units that have tons of abilities as it adds a very unique strategy when designing a deck, that being making the most of fewer abilities so you are not one rounded by a renovator. My main issue is the Renovator seems to do high damage to most champs because most champs have more than one or two abilities. Here are my suggestions:

1) Change the Renovate ability to do 1% more damage per ability. For example, if you have 1 ability you do 1% more damage. 2 abilities you do 4% more damage (2% for the first ability plus 2% for the second ability). At 5 abilities you will do 25% more damage (5%+5%+5%+5%+5%=25%). At 10 abilities you will do double damage. The advantage is you keep the power to do more damage to units with more abilities but don't destroy your more common runes. The big disadvantage may be hard to calculate quickly and frustrate some players.

2) Change the Renovate ability to rank 1, 2, and 3. So is a champ has 1-3 abilities you do 1% more damage (1% per ability). At 4 to 7 abilities you do 5% more damage per ability. And at 8 0r more abilities you do 10% more damage per ability. Again the sliding scale really hurts champs with high numbers of abilities but will not overwhelm most champs. It also may be hard to calculate quickly.

3) Credit to nitebane21 as I read this in another thread... Change the Renovate ability to +1 damage per ability. For example, 3 abilities will do +3 damage total while 8 abilities will do +8 damage total. This would be easy to calculate during a match.

I would like to discuss these suggestions and hear any other suggestions to bring the Renovator in line without losing the very unique flavor it brings to the game.

Also, please feel free to troll if I am beating a dead horse.

2. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Where do you think the cutoff should be for an "acceptable" number of abilities? I think right now almost every rune is a superchamp...

I'm curious what DOGs plans are for the actual renovation.

3. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

Well... this ability opening way to do very ridiculously amount of dmg. with taint/rage band in sl or zealotry in sp... or even rage band and zealotry in sl/sp beast deck. :)

4. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

2 things.

1. It doesn't have 8 speed. Can not stress this enough.

2. Grimlic exists. If you can kill Grimlic you can kill an owl.

5. Xinde

Xinde Devotee of the Blood Owl

Flat damage change would be the best. Also, the changing percentages? Really unnecessarily complex much?

6. Gwyndionnz

Gwyndionnz I need me some PIE!

Change it to only the passive or only activated abilities?

7. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

1 dmg per ability, max + 5 dmg and reduce champ nora cost. Should be fine

8. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

Would you play an owl with 2-5 ranged 11-16 dmg, 6 speed, and nothing else to it? Thought so. There are better runes in every faction than this proposal.

9. crisian

crisian Member

leave the little guy alone! he's cool and everybody has one, so if he's so op just run him in your own bg's and pwn everybody. geez, why do people have to cry about everything on here. 83 nora is not exactly cheap and he does nothing other than make a mid ranged physical attack and people are still having heart failure because he makes a powerful attack.

again, and i can not stress this enough, if he's so op just run him!!

10. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

So because everyone has access to an overpowered rune that makes it ok ? Nice logic, your post just reads 'I'm crutching on this champ for easy wins plz dot nerf!'

11. crisian

crisian Member

he is not all that op. he has a powerful attack at 6 sped and 1 def for 83 nora...lulz, my common crusaders easily reach that damage for the same 83 nora, but also get mad defense, auto heal 8 hp each turn, have conqueror and battle leader. tell me, how much nerf should he get?

and please don't be so dramatic, he is by no means an auto game winner in fact i am seeing surprisingly few of them in play so i am not sure why some people are acting like such skirts over him.

12. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Take the 2 damage upgrades, with a banner it now has 15 base damage. In UD it will have 17. In ST,IS or SL with access to boost beast it also has 17. At 17 base damage this champ can pretty much 2 shot any champ in the game at range 5. How is this balanced exactly ? It would take crusaders like 10 turns of being engaged to a champ at melee to reach that damage. Trying to compare a melee champ to a range champ is ridiculous as range is inherently stronger.

I wouldn't know how to nerf him without ruining his flavour and I don't particularly care, I just don't like seeing people defend blatantly OP runes/abilities.

13. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I admit this may be the only rune in the game which I actually want to be OP as heck, to serve as a constant reminder how much "renovating" still needs to be done. :)

That said, of course he should not be OP against champs with about 0 to 4 special abilities, so his base damage would have to be adjusted if that is a problem.

14. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Forget power, the real problem is people having trash alts for nefarious reasons anyway...rewarded with tons of renovators to gouge people with on trader. Should be non-tradeable.../thread

15. kinembe

kinembe The King of Potatoes

lol @ the /thread like all was just said and you now declare the thread finished as your word is final. sorry, it's just funny.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The basic underlying intention of the rune is simply in disagreement with the result of its design. You cannot completely qualify a super champ from the number of abilities it has. (Refer to my "number of base abilities a super champ does not make" comment in the preview thread)

Also, this further punishes champions who have negative abilities.

Either its decided its just not for super champs and meant to be a random and gets toned down a bit. And I personally don't care much how it's toned down as I think it will largely spell the end of this rune.

-or-

It gets redesigned to actually counter super champs. And honestly I don't think a damaging ability is ever going to be a viable way to counter super champs.

-or-

It gets redesigned altogether.

Keep in mind that the only thing going for this champs is its dmg output and flying, so if you crush it, it's going to need a cost reduction.

Also, since it does absolutely nothing else it's going to be incredibly boring and used only where beast decks need phys ranged.

Dantezz likes this.
  17. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Some people either weren't around for or don't remember Harbingers and/or old "emboldened". Power is only secondary to the bad ramifications that follow these . Yes my word is final still :p

18. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Your crusade need to angage a champion, and he has no fly.
    the renovators is a 3-5 range unit with the power to deal a lot of dmg, and he has fly a great advantage in many maps

It's a cool rune, for the artwork, and i like the advice to split the rank of renovator ability, i think that two should be optimal for the calculation in prmis, rank 1 : 5%, for ranged champs, rank 2 : 10%

19. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

Why does it have to be changed at all?

20. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

I think the design is creative and refreshing.

Granted, they can get ~17 damage, however Renovate triggers after defense, and that's important to keep in mind. Unless you blatantly allow someone to get two hits in with Reno, it is easy to avoid and deal with. Last I checked most decks had a variety of anti-range champs whether it be Evasive 3, Elusive, or Dodge.