Anyone tried slowing it down?

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by GoldTiger, Nov 1, 2016.

1. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

With scorched dwarfs and mindslicer obelisk? Seem pretty good on paper (to me), has anyone tried them out and known for sure its obsolete to dropping them completely for more rush, or could explain to me why its so? Not many other factions compete at such a pace that you don't have time to play them so why not sacrifice half a turn for late game security, or is this just my OP FS faction bonus ignorance kicking in?

SireofSuns likes this.
  2. RasielCZ

RasielCZ I need me some PIE!

Dwarfs take a long time to pay off, but obelisk is excelent if you are low on range.

Edit: dwarf could actually be a great counter to all the crap that puts negative abilites on the next champ you play.
    If you want a slow deck go for neafari syphons for nora gen, I like using them with DE summoner imps, but there are multile options that work well with them.

TeaNinja likes this.
  3. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

6-7 turns is a decent build up time granted but after that you really are swimming in nora. And I've never seen anyone run any range other than grimlic and maybe harbingers although they are running out of fashion in the UD rush meta ATM.

It would be a different playstyle sure but I'm not adamant it would be a losing one.

4. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

With Scorched Dwarf, run him with Pariah and Mason 2. Math hammer says it won't change the time it takes for him to pay for himself. He's a great include in a "turtle" UD bg, and rather needed too.
    Put two of them in the back with Orb of Protection if you aren't running much fire damage. And then of course you can use Mindslicer Obelisk to add to the range hate.

I'm currently building a UD bg around this kind of idea, sadly I need more shards to get a lot of the runes (Exos and Legs) I want for it, and I don't want to use my gold until after the Playstation release/patch (better prices for packs).

5. sWeNibor

sWeNibor I need me some PIE!

When i ran, Schorched dwarfs 2x auto i think is mindslicer bomerang, you get easier higher dmg proc on that so you can still get high kill potential with it. Considering you get more chanps to bounce it on :)

6. RasielCZ

dwarf is terrible now at 40+ nora, but nefari syphons are pretty good, i use them with grim, max and grundlewulf alpha for easy syphon targets due to regen and it works really well

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. SireofSuns

Nefari Siphons take 10 turns to start paying off, while Scorched Dwarf takes 7 even at 40 nora (base is 38, but Mason 2 doesn't add any time to pay off and is helpful for repairing Orb of Protection and your Shrine if you're using Price of Victory).
    I'd play Nefair Siphon in some decks over Scorched Dwarf (Sacrifice, Pain 'n Gain, Fire Amp without Fire Immunity/Eater), but Scorched Dwarf is far better for turtling.

8. RasielCZ

Syphons costs 65 and give you 15 nora a pop, on turn 7 it has cost 5 nora, on turn 9 you are +15 nora, dwarf at 38 nora bulid nets you 4 nora on turn 7
    I'd argue manson is irrelevanmt even if you run orb and/or price of victory, also pariah makes aiming boomerangs a nightmare, but that is mostly a playstyle thing.
    Syphons also are lower tempo hit as they are actually reasonable champs to cap fonts and help fighting.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. SireofSuns

Well, it's dumb to run Dwarf at 38, 40 is more efficient in only the very slightly longer run. Mason 2 isn't irrelevant, especially if you have to of him out.
    Yes, Mindslicer Boomerang with Scorched Dwarf doesn't work well, but there are plenty of other things to use instead, and it's still possible to use him with Mindslicer Boomerang (if he's the last champ hit, you just look for the closest enemy to him for targeting, which will make it more defensive, which is alright for a slow-build-up bg).
    Yes, Syphons are a low tempo hit earlier on than Dwarf, but a slow deck doesn't care as much anyway about tempo hits.

Again, I'd Siphon over Dwarf for a lot of UD decks, but I'd use Dwarf for the non-rush decks. It really boils down to playstyle: Rushing? Use Siphon. Not Rushing? Use Dwarf.

Or, you could use both and get even more nora. Though I'm not sure that'd be efficient enough to warrant it...

10. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

How about just using sacrifice to generate spike Nora?

11. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Too conventional, we need to get more complex

Qucas and Fentum like this.
  12. SireofSuns

Precisely. This isn't really about making a winning combo or an efficient bg. It's about being as overly complex as firk and maybe pulling off something strange for a win. (I'm being mildly sarcastic).

But yeah, UD may be hard to play sometimes because of its fragile play-style, but it is fairly straightforward to play. So creating more complex ones for it is fun.
    Honestly this feels like some of the old FW threads. The FW forum is kinda dead at the moment, it's waiting for Reanimate to kick into effect.

Qucas, SPiEkY and Fentum like this.
  13. Fentum

Ok so my favourite completely overlooked combo, in that I have NEVER seen ANYONE run this rune, never mind this combo, in ten years is this....

UD FW

Vothsair Ireguard.
    Tempest Crown
    Elsari Bazaar ( that thing is crazy good and no one runs it)
    FW DMZ in fonts and via various champs.

Equals an arrow eating, furious, majestic, shielded, pawn, iron willed, net +2ap per turn monster.

Add boundless enthusiasm for flavour.

Elsari bazaar is very underrated and off the radar

14. Fentum

If you want to run a slow UD deck then try full goblins. The can do rather well once several are out.

Get a king down for the extra abilities early.
    Deploy an early crop sick to really upset a font contest.
    Stick an annoying Spellkaiser in an opponent's font.
    Reduce Nora by getting a brute out with call to arms.
    All the time stealing abilities.

Much slower that usual Big Bang UD but quite satisfying as a bunch of crazy Gobbos takes stuff down in a medium term plan. Drain Vitality is 2x here.

TeaNinja likes this.
  15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

youre late to the party mate FW started running bazaar about 6 months ago

Fentum likes this.
  16. SireofSuns

I'd like it more if it was Exertion 3 instead of Shrine Exertion. Or if Shrine Exertion's shrine damage went down. By like half.

17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Why it enables you to use tome of hate and get 2 global lol per turn

18. SireofSuns

I suppose. 10 damage to your shrine just seems like a lot for 3 ap.

19. Fentum

I find that the shrine damage is usually, in fact almost always, irrelevant. I'm running a split with UD and I don't bother with the tome. Once the Ireguard gets the shrine exertion, it's usually game on.

20. Fentum

Good stuff. I've simply never seen it used in ten years, but I only play casually.