AP Gen'd from Nora Cost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mercer Skye, Jul 27, 2014.

?

AP gen generated from nora cost a good idea?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  3. Possibly, but needs more tuning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

I think 2 weeks is enough time to re-propose an idea for discussion. If not, I apologize deeply, but I figured a senseless bump would have been in poor taste. Boring platitudes out of the way;

What if, and obviously it wouldn't happen any time soon, but what if the AP a unit gained a turn was tied not into the speed stat, but into how much the unit cost?

Speed would then become a much less volatile stat weighing some units down with higher than needed costs, and more expensive units wouldn't necessarily be obliterated by cheaper ones.

So the proposed idea;

Speed becomes nothing more than how far a unit can move per turn.

AP is generated on a unit each turn based on cost. Cost of Unit / X = AP generated.

Potential Pros;
    • Arguably reduced learning 'bump' on how AP storage/accrual work
    • Opens design space for units with less than 5 spd (Think true siege engines)
    • Opens the 'cost margins' of where a unit just isn't viable compared to two or more lower cost units
    • Would create a better balance between the two most powerful resources to generate as they'd be tied together
    • Would potentially reduce the amount of 'drawwin' situations without necessarily neutering more rush oriented units
    Potential Cons;
    • Would probably have to retool abilities and effects that manipulate AP gen or raw speed
    • FW would likely now have to make a choice between quicker CDs or more AP (but screw FW anyway, amirite?) But more seriously, we'd end up with another 'cost break point' on which players would consider setting champs to in order to gain additional AP. Kind of opposite of reducing the learning 'bump' regarding AP storage and accrual.
    • Would still need a method of registering stored AP, though the AP indicator on a champ's stat sheet could be modified into a fraction. As in X/MaxAP.
    • KF's Faction Bonus might very well become terrible and even worse than terrible in splits
    This is a potentially huge change, and very likely one that would change the face of Pox forever. Arguably, this is a topic that should be addressed much later after the champ revamp and subsequent non-champ revamps have panned out and stabilized, but in the midst of champ re-tooling, I still think it's better to propose while the focus is still on champions.

As always, thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for reading.

TLDR -> I think it's worth looking into tying AP generation to Nora Cost, and making the Speed stat a movement rating and nothing more.