Aqua Nerf Discussion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ohmin, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Aquatic
    This champion has Amphibious. While occupying Water, this champion gets +1 SPD and has Mobility. When moving to a location that is not at least half water, there is an additional 1 AP cost unless it is Flying. At the beginning of your turn, if this champion is not occupying Water, it loses 5 HP.

(Emphasis added.)

The Flight wording was there before the nerf of course, and all my tests were pre-nerf.

I have personally tested Quagmirrian with Grant: Flight, and it properly removes the movement penalty when moving a Razorfin into non-Water tiles. Likewise, Shock Pomfret (also fully Aquatic) has no problems regarding movement (it has Flying naturally) other than of course the SPD difference it can get from Bolting around the place constantly.

For 1x1 units, Grant Flight and Marsh Lessons are the only way to alleviate the Aquatic movement penalties. Well, and Fading Recollections I suppose.

He used to be 57 with Sunder, the 62 is with the newly risen cost of Aquatic, and if you really just wanted the damage you could have stuck with Cripple to be 52 (now 57). The point being however, that it costs 10-20 less than a Pirahnid (pending builds), so the squishiness is justified, just not in the face of all the other effort required to give it a chance to reach a reasonable target. Plus it lost a lot of damage with -2 from Aquatic.

2. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

It's a good nerf. Those units were too strong.

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Honestly if they would have just removed the speed bonus which to me was the only issue aquatics would have been in a good place. Maybe taken the pirahnids down to berserker 2 so they don't all have 8 or more speed and they would have been fine imo.

Speed on aquatics is still the issue, k'thir is getting nerfed because they have to much speed why would we keep the aquatic bonus to give the speed bonus? I'm still looking at bloodfiends with 9 speed and other pirahnids with 8.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Niurs

Niurs New Member

I dont know how you are testing, but its wrong. Quagmirrian's Grant Flight gives Levitating to the target, and while the unit visually flying over the ground and if you move your cursor over normal terrain it shows that this movement will cost 1 AP, but if you move the unit will lose 2AP. Test it again. Shock Promfet have Flight not Levitating.

Piranhids have 15-20 hp more than Razorfin Slider, many of them have multiattack, berserker, life siphon, surge etc and they are not aquatic so they can happily move up to the target to eat. Guess why almost noone use Razorfin Slider and why everyone think Piranhids are strong. +5 nora cost and removing dam/def bonus for aquatics is crazy.

I will use Evolve if i want to remove aquatic movement penalities and not Fading Recollections, thank you. It was a great idea tho :)

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

*shrug*

I'll test again later when I have time then. Though I doubt there will be a difference.

EDIT: Had the time. Indeed, Grant Flight is giving Levitating (which doesn't work for Aqua). Hmm, Really weird though, I distinctly recall it actually giving Flying (not Levitating) when I tested it last week. Meh. No matter. Incidentally, Grant: Flight should work, according to it's wording (as it specifically says Flying, not Levitating). Levitate is it's own distinct ability (still granted by Arcane book equip thingy), even if most of it was renamed pre-revamp.

Precisely my point.

I like to offer new and fun options, besides, someone out there is undoubtedly still trying to run an FS/UD Aquatics split, inspired by Overlord and the old Ctharia. :p

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Speed is still the issue here @Sokolov the extra damage and def wasn't a problem. Either get rid of the berserker abilities or give them def and damage back and they lose speed. Were nerfing k'thir for speed yet you have pirahnids running around with 18 damage 9 speed and life siphon.