Bad Worms

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by kalasle, Feb 14, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Apparently anything is viable so long as it has UTOH, Doom, and some loss-of-life combo. Here's a BG I've been using that is worms, but even worse than normal. It has been some how winning. When I say somehow, I mean somehow; other guild members and myself have seen this thing in action, have seen it beat up on IS and UD, and still are unable to figure out why or how. It seems to work though. If anyone's looking for an avenue into worms that costs next to nothing besides some already auto Exos, I think this would be a place to start.

https://poxbase.com/deck/c6C74c7-C7=CdYc75CdTCfKckyCdWsps4Nsgshsns60s72r2XrTr2Pr1r8e14e1m

Some of the includes might look wildly out of place, but most things are in there for a reason: synergy, draw power, or gimps.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    TeaScholar, Tweek516 and Netherzen like this.
  2. Reddust

Reddust The King of Potatoes

I like how the elsari mason have become 2x autoinclude in most of your bgs. Seriously tho, i have to try it, he sounds good and he might fit in a casual meta deck.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I've ended up parsing him down to 1x in Worms because of how irrelevant he is after T1/2, but definitely give him a whirl in any FW BG you play, at least 1x. 12 AP turn 2 is unprecedented off the play, and breaks some maps wide open - especially when you can deploy another champ as well.

4. Reddust

Reddust The King of Potatoes

i'll definitely give it a try. the problem is that currently there are not spots left in my bg and my romantic side won't let go of my beloved lost queen.

btw this the meta deck that has given me some joys in the limited league, i don't know what to ditch for the mason (if i really want to add it, cause the mason advocates for a rushy playstyle i'm not really part of)
    https://poxbase.com/deck/C4Tcg3clvC6qC4mc93c9fcdYCw4c67ckyc9dCu c4nS3gs4Nsgsns5ds4fr1IrTr1r8

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Been looking for some time to start playing worms,but never managed to even think of something viable,how competitive would you say they are?

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I haven't run them up against any top tier stuff yet, but eh, maybe tier 1.5? They are at least a tier 2 deck, so should get you a solid place in exo league. @XFurionsX has apparently moved to limited with them, although I think his approach is a bit different. Those are conservative estimates. They have a hell of a time on certain maps and against certain BGs, but I do get the feeling that a finely tuned list could be fully competitive, tier 1 material.

Edit: I've updated the OP with my tweaked list. There are still more things I want to try out - I've never used a Worm Lord - and elements of this BG with which I need to be more proficient, but it's fun as hell.

7. Netherzen

Thanks for the input.I hope he will share his bg/opinion on this.Since you got a large deployment zone,what about running short lived deathcaster or skeleton beserker?

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Nah, I don't think they benefit enough to be worth it. The only 2 non-worms I'm running right now are 1x Mason and 1x Bile, and I wouldn't go much over 3 non-worms. Bile zombie becomes an AoE ~3 bomb of 26+2+1 damage and Blind for 44 nora. That's a silly value, but it should set the tone for further includes. Mason is a 1x as an early draw because I don't actually have more worms, and because early speed wins a lot of games with these guys.

Netherzen likes this.
  9. Netherzen

I do understand why bile zombie,seen him in action before,its pretty cool when he explodes in someone face with two aoes.I would run one deathcaster because death pact and death nova are pretty solid for a champion whos globe can be picked up so he ends up costing less then essence drain.What about boneshredder?Is he to expensive to run considering you need to deploy champions constantly?His ability to deploy a bone trap seems like good ability to delay the enemy and if i am not mistaken,isnt the broken bones spawned a real champion so you can grab his globe with dusk?

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Maybe a 1x SL Deathcaster would be worth a shot, I'm just skeptical of it compared to ED. ED/Blade is a core combo to making this deck work, and much of that comes from its near-instant quality. I'll shuffle around for space and see how it works.

Never even thought about Boneshredder, forgot she was a Necrosis champ. I'll get a couple and give her a whirl. Not sure what upgrades to take - Zeal I guess?

11. Netherzen

Zeal is the only choice which is not bad.Extra speed from zeal,1-2 range and some durability means it might be not be bad for r.blade.

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Meh, I doubt Blade is going to be going on anything other than Dusk Creeper. Guy's too good.

13. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

https://poxbase.com/deck/C6CdVC74CdYCh CfKCkycdUCdWs6Zs3gs4NShsns5arTr1r8e1m
    I really enjoy playing with them, the bile zombie was yobanchi's idea, try to strategic place your UT and ToH, (this has cost me some games) and don't forget to scry (thanks kalasle for always remind me this), because your shrine is the only racial advantage that you have and transfigure is not an option.

Phantasmal creepers are fun to use with portal, i would like to see them with attack magical 2-4 and lose curse, when theyare ethereal just stay close to a champ, next turn curse and portal and repeat, they are good font defenders/harassers.

Blood fiend and rotmaw creepers are your meat on the board, bloodfiend i run him with exertion 3 so you can deploy it and attack as you dpeloy it, i use it with life syphon, and rotmaw creeper with shatter and rabid 3, when deployment zone is large you can place it next to a unit that you dont wat it to move.

i can write more about any worm/necrosis unit, i left 2 spaces blank, you can add anything youwant, thats personal, a 2nd reapers blade, mobi, soulreave it is up to you.

Just ask an specific question and ill respond.

Reddust and Netherzen like this.
  14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Fun fact: apparently transfiguration resets your Necrosis, but it's actually possible to gain a deployment zone after transfiguring. Not recommended, but important to note.

TeaScholar and yobanchi like this.
  15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I should probably rename this thread to "Good Worms," because these guys are probably top tier after the Necrosis changes. Had a couple more impressive games.

Netherzen likes this.
  16. Netherzen

Is it possible to play the budget version without legs/lims?Will it make it less viable?
    Do you find yourself in early game with nothing good to deploy,ie bile zombie and martyr?
    Festering wounds?When to cast it,why cast it?Explain the idea behind using that.
    Whats the general playstyle like?What do you have to achieve in early game and what do you avoid at all cost?
    Any tricks or cool strategies i should know about?

I love the fact that to play fw properly you have to invent/adopt a new playstyle for every bg.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I can't speak to @XFurionsX more extensive experience with that particular BG, but I can say I think Worms are viable without any of their Leg runes. Eyes are good, Blinking Creepers are alright, but Worm Lords and Surge are low-priority tools.

Early game is a weird spot for Worms: they can be either stunningly fast or frustratingly slow. Because of their low cost, double deploys may happen, and Blood Fiend is fast enough to break a couple maps and rush on many more. If you are running Mason or Carrionling, the chances for rush BS increase. The flip side is when the opening pull of champions is Bile/Martyr/Rotmaw/Dusk on T1, and you get to taste the pain of 5 Spd anew.

Festering Wounds isn't something to throw out whenever: it's not a Necrosis champion, and building the deployment zone is key to Worms for several reasons. I know Furions is more aggressive and nonchalant with his Wounds than I am (I only run 1), but in general, play Wounds when it will shut down important healing, when you need 10 damage but not immediately, or both.

Rush, rush, rush. Worms can move fast and gum up the works; do so. A strong way to move from early-game to mid-game to late-game -- the ultimate goal -- is to trade aggressively. Get in fonts, punch things, go tit-for-tat. Early game is about making sure you hit mid-game, and the best way to do that is to stay aggressive and efficient, so that when you get pushed back and beaten you end up at a comfortable neutral in the mid-game. Don't throw away nora or spells in the early game if it's a poor trade, but use what's available. Once you hit mid-game, it's all about the bullcrap. There are a million cheesy ways to kill a champ, FW has most of them, and Worms love all of them. Specifics are in the next paragraph. Late-game, so long as your shrine isn't under severe pressure, Worms are a nightmare. Deploy everywhere. Snipe fonts, and constantly shift the fight from one location to another. The huge deployment zone starts generating disgusting amounts of illusory AP, font-loaded at that. Abuse it.

Worms have a couple gimmicks that I think are important: ED/Blade, relics anywhere, and deploy extensions. Blade on a stealthed Dusk Creeper into Essence Drain is a guaranteed kill from the shadows on any champion in the game, barring a couple extreme cases. Always be thinking about when you'll have 95 nora, and where exactly your Creeper is positioned to get the kill. The deployment zone also works on relics, so Grim Well and Corpse Pile have great synergy with Worms. Remember that you can drop them anywhere. Deploy extensions are a cheeky way for worms to either break maps or get a better instant-deploy. I do 2 important extensions in a game against RedCourage (I'll link it here) each for a different purpose. To make the most of this trick, think about three turns in advance at the start of the game, and count squares obsessively. Plenty of maps are tuned to particular numbers, and one or two extra squares can mess that up.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Netherzen likes this.
  18. Netherzen

Alright,lets me just say holy shiiiit.Worms are amazing when they work,its an odd playstyle,like some combination of guerilla warfare and constant suicide bombing but it works and its fun.

This is what iv been playing:
    worms.jpg

TeaScholar and XFurionsX like this.
  19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'll put in a good word for 1x Carrionling. That champ does a lot more stuff than you might think.

20. Netherzen

He dies if you sneeze at him.And tomb and tome finish him off quickly.I just dont see how he is worth 30 nora.

XFurionsX likes this.