Balance patch notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nebron, Oct 27, 2014.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

A full balance patch would take all of two days.

But keep on doing what you do, the ranked game is clearly thriving.

Nebron and SPiEkY like this.
  2. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

You see, this is why I dont post on these forums. Such toxic environment, and you guys always jump to conclusions or produce strawmen to control the discussion. According to burn im religious, since im praying. And according to Nebron I have no idea what im talking about, yet he completely disregards the fact I said it was posted earlier in a thread by one of the devs, I think it was Gedden, it could also be Senshu, I am sadly not in possesion in a fault free memory so I cant remember specificly.

Its your right to complain as a customer that doesnt show compassion or understanding to the fact coding on this gaming is not easy. So sokolov did a quick job on a champion, cool feel free to ask him how long it would take to make 3 changes to 10 champions. Best case scenario, you make the changes and everything works. Sadly again this is poxnora, with old coding that doesnt always does what you expect. So lets say you make what would seem like harmless changes, suddenly that champion doesnt work anymore or better yet its deploy coding produces a deploy error. Sound familiar? Well I might be going on a limb here but im pretty sure this is what they mean about coding taking long. The task itself can be quick but its the consequenses or at least the fact it doesnt produce the results you want that would take time.

No matter, keep thinking your whining will give any positive response what so ever.

3. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I'm assuming you have already sent a detailed list of that full balance patch to Gedden.
    ^_^

mortal ix likes this.
  4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Nebro, I'm going to need you to shorten that list to only the important items, it's TL; DR.

Something is wrong with this statement. .. I've almost got it... umm mm.

Nebron likes this.
  5. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Assumption
    I don't know anything about how DOG creates and updates their games. One thing I assume to know is that DOG is a business that depends on selling products to customers for a living. Economy is a difficult subject which I'm likely going to fail, but I think it's still safe to assume that happy customers mean more customers mean more income for DOG.

Most people enjoy it when the product they invested in is evolving into a positive direction. That's the above mentioned happyness that has the chance of leading to more money for DOG.

So if it takes two days to make a full balance patch and the customers happyness is probably closely related to the kind of house, car, ship and space station that Gedden will be able to afford in the forseeable future then there must be a reason why that isn't happening. But what could it be?!

Yeah, I'm going to go with theory 4 for now. Which is your favorite theory or do you have your own?

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Tldr

Im going with the "Gedden is both clueless and stubborn. He fails to accept or understand the current situation and therefor fails to make the correct decisions." theory.

Results don't lie, the game is in shambles. Players are not playing, servers are crap, no communication and player satisfaction has not dropped to an all time low only due to the (misplaced?) trust in DOG.

Anyone claiming were doing fine and should let DOG just do their thing needs a realitycheck. If this were a stockmarket company and the CEO produced such meager results, stocks would plumet and heads would roll. Or head.

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

psssst, burn: reality is not a popular topic around here, please try and be more positive, thanks, love, biscawssy

Good things about what DOG is doing to Pox.

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Gedden has stated before that a patch of 5 changes per factions, is 2 days of coding. I am hoping that is what you meant. I do agree however that this wasted time is crazy. I could care less about Ronin with AA, and the likes still running around.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

If it takes him 2 days to make 5 changes per faction, some as simple as changes in stats, nora cost or ranks of an ability he needs to hire someone who is actually competent. Were not talking champ overhauls here.

Previous devs could change stuff in mere minutes, why does it take him hours? CorpsE changed runes often after release according to feedback in the same night. If Gedden truly needs thats much time, hes incredibly incompetent and should fire himself from the coding position.

10. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Not everyone is a perfect machine like copsE
    Gedden is Gedden
    corpsE is corpsE
    one does not compare apples to oranges they got different styles if you don't like the way he
    s running pox you can stop playing

11. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

You are complaining about patch notes when and communication, whilst I understand the situation is not perfect, understand DoG did tell us they were doing the steam re-release before a patch, that has now launched and now Gedden is trying to fix all the bugs that came with it, there are hundreds of players unable to even launch the client on steam and many bugs with the tutorial, this is why there has been no patch. We have a community Q&A on friday with Senshu which we will get some answers and direction from and no doubt as soon as Gedden is finished fixing the top priority issues which prevent people loading PoxNora we will have a balance patch. Please have some patience, these type of threads do not help the situation.

mortal ix likes this.
  12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

As far as Geddens game knowledge goes, and considering the whole council situation, Im almost afraid at how this new patch will come out. Probably something like this:
    "Random, random everywhere! Here, I picked runes A, B, C and D to be buffed/nerfed, doesnt matter if there are worst offenders/priorities out there. Hey, I also like factions X and Y, and dislike faction Z - guess whos getting the shaft"?
    Its unbelievable that we missed the opportunity to get the game back on track again. I blame all of you "positive nancies" out there, that neglected yourselfs and convinced Gedden he was doing a good job, when he wasnt. Hope that kissing his a** got you guys something.

BurnPyro and Nebron like this.
  13. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Right now I just see a bunch of people yelling "you missed the target" without telling anyone what the target actually is.
    Or just whispering it to their butter-buddy and then shout that nobody listens to them.

mortal ix and chris0024 like this.
  14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

That's the point, though, Gedden should know what the target is. If he doesnt, he should hire someone to do it. Not ask around to a bunch of players who, in their majority, have no clue on the game whatsoever, and are so biased about their respective runes/factions they cant see straight, since their heads are too far up in their respective a**ess.
    I get it that you would think otherwise, Yobanchi, but come on man - even the last patch you guys came up with didnt have the proper feedback you guys were expecting. Its been sitting there for what, 2 months now?
    Stop with this cottom candy attitude, something needs to be done and it needs to be fast.

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. Fesh

Fesh The King of Potatoes

People love to whine and look for anything to whine about. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the complaints about updates and communication is not justified but the majority of posts I have seen in this forum as a whole are just whining. There are at least 5 new threads everyday saying the same thing. Since devs arnt active with updates and constant communication, they have chosen this path. Once the devs do get going with updates and regular communication, the whining won't stop but shift to why X update was a horrible idea, why faction X is favored more than faction Y, and then complaints about too much communication; "if the devs where not in the forums SO much and just focused on balance and bugs this game would be better."

No matter what is it a no win for the devs, so why should they communicate more?

I have been playing this game ~8 years and the forums never change but they are a slight bit more toxic than normal this time back.

mortal ix likes this.
  16. exiledtyrant

exiledtyrant Active Member

As far as 5 changes taking 2 days I can say it's very believable. Gedden hasn't been apart of the Pox team from some time and who knows shape the code was in when he got it. Poor documentation and cutting corners over who knows how many years on an SOE backburner game can have dire consequences. I once talked to someone who had to fire a lead programmer because he wrote all of his variables as breakfast items. He followed no standards agreed upon in the company. Seeing as the person had their hand in just about everything when they left the code had to be picked apart for almost 8 months.

For all we know Gedden is facing the same dilemmas. Poor documentation, sour employees screwing over their code upkeep duties because Pox Nora is "sun setting", maybe code was outsourced to someone who doesn't speak English, cutting corners by setting up tight coupling programs instead of loose coupling programs, redundant code because the coder couldn't pass values properly, or poor naming conventions. We don't even know if the language he is using to code is object oriented and therefore less resistant to change. There are so many variables that could have gone wrong before the actual reacquisition of the game. The fixing of those type of problem demand a lot of time investment and development of best practices. It's not just fixing bugs I'd imagine but also establishing how future code will be handled. Be glad they take the time to go back now as the $$ multiplier for mistakes down the road is literally 1000x + per project.

Come to think of it since DOG was buying their game back they may not even have access to any of the SOE documentation or repository information. Meaning old notes for a new game and a lot of catch up in between.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  17. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Pretty sure it's under 9...

mortal ix likes this.
  18. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I take personal the insinuated insult of your comments. The hand off from SOE to DOG was clean and thorough; if it hadn't been they wouldn't have been able to do as much as they have as quickly as they have.

SPiEkY, BurnPyro and Nebron like this.
  19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

If your customers aren't happy you are doing something wrong. End of story.

BurnPyro likes this.
  20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I truly hope you realise how utterly stupid you sound.

Hey this guy is trash at his job compared to his colleague, but hes different so dont judge.

Wake up call. This isnt a beauty contest. This is a company, we need to see results. If Gedden cant do the job, for the sake of Pox find a new coder and main dev. Cause hes trash at both.