Barbarians alternate damage

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Nora That, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Nora That

Nora That I need me some PIE!

Barbs have been better as of late, but still lack in quite a few areas. One of which is alternate damage on a mele champion.
    Pitfighter is meh, ok but ends up being useless vs fire bg's.
    Barbarian bolt is just a little too pricey to be efficient
    My suggestion is giving a cheaper mele barbarian magical attack. As many times the spirits and or vaporize champs get away with a whole lot more than they should vs barbs.
    Thoughts?

2. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Why?

TheBulwark likes this.
  3. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Favored Nomad being shoeboxed is what really destroyed the themes core alternate damage.

She just is designed so bad in the DOG era, really comparable to when she was originally released.(2-4 range, favor,and bad stats for like 77 Nora back then)

I wonder if she got 3-5,4-5,4-6,5-6, got impenetrable and shield upgrades changed to something less boring would she be different.

If it were me , I would remodel my favorite champion into this:

Favored Nomad(poxnoras original Black champion)

Damage: 10
    Speed:6
    Range:5-6
    HP:44
    Defense 0

Abilities:
    Magic attack
    Spellswallower
    Favor
    Tempo

Upg1:
    Spell charged 1,2 magic blast

Upg2
    Charged heal, charged magic bomb, spell shift(the ability on the chronomancer), magic Beam.

And yes she has 4 upgrades cause she is favored like that(also there are a few that have 4 upgrades)

In b4 sok ask"how much do you think this cost" and we reply with, doesn't matter, she is actually good.

4. Anotherblackman

Also, tundra barb bruh...

It's been Jab-a-fied.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

LOL, since when does cost not matter?

~

Anyway, I just tried the below build, and it is 96 nora:

Favored Nomad(poxnoras original Black champion)

Damage: 10
    Speed:6
    Range:5-6
    HP:44
    Defense 0

Abilities:
    Magic attack
    Spellswallower
    Favor
    Tempo

Upg1:
    Spell charged 1,2, magic blast (default)

Upg2
    Charged heal, spell shift, magic Beam (default)

~

Still want it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  6. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

And it's not even good imo. Spell Shift or Magic Beam on base instead of all that spell stuff and it would already be better.

But tbh, I don't quite get it's current build. It doesn't build up that much dmg or bring back that much nora (that is to say, it doesn't get dangerous) and yet it is trying hard to be safe from spells/abilities. Chances are there are more dangerous things than it that an opponent would try to take down.

7. Sokolov

I agree that the Shielded/Impen line is pretty awkward - pre-revamp I am pretty sure everyone just took DEF and Tempo and never those 2 things. I actually already reworked it a bit for the expansion (not to the drastic extent that Jab did), so see if you like it.

Sirius likes this.
  8. Anotherblackman

I actually took impenetrable for every time.

Back then it was just too good an ability not to.

Now it's just overboard in Nora cost that if it touched Euan, how would be overcost even more than he is now.

As for 96 Nora, sign me up. She would be the barbarian robodog

9. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

10. Tarth

When she came out she was the only real magic range the race had plus she worked well with the spell spam type of play the theme use to (still?) have. Personally it would be cool imo (IMO) if she was still a spell enabler rune. At most It would be cool to see her gain some spell deterrent type mechanics if there isn't a need/want for her to enhance spell use. She is "favored" so if she could enhance spell options it would fit imo as for a while the race was all about lowering price ranges instead of genning nora directly. Inquisition/IS in general was anti spell while barbs had a more spell reliant focus, was an interesting play difference at the time.

also, if I am remembering correctly, Impen was the standard upgrade because +1 def was pretty meh on such a generally squishy champ and shielded was pointless on such a low threat unit. Impen just kept her out of a lot of bad spots.

Favored Nomad:

Same stat line as now because its generally fine ( though people who still play a lot could change it).
    Spell surged: warchief inauguration and creativity

Upgrade line one: Spell surged: Favor , spell aegis, council spells

Upgrade two: Tempo, adaptive Ironfist, Spell swallower

I spent all of 5 mins on this so keep that in mind. She should be around the same price as now with favor going to upgrade (8 nora) and getting spell surge/ creativity,(6 nora) to base. with the upgrades priced around what they are now. I know that makes 15 nora warchief inaugurations so I could see it being a weaker version say -5 nora ( or if you ever make blood better it could raise price to 30 for the spell)

Line one is a nora line with you gain nora when you cast a spell, the other player casts a spell, or the other players spells become less efficient ( could also go with weaken spells if wanted but bonus kinda already covers that, despite it being awesome when they stack)

Line two is bonus buffs: Not super happy with the line but the concept I like. Internal self buffs for her as she gets more and more favor from the gods type of thing.

Anyway just an idea I had .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. Sokolov

Yea, she is also one of the few Pox runes that hasn't changed dramatically since launch.

Anyway, I was curious so I looked up this report I had back in 2012, and the upgrade spread was:

Stat Bonus: DEF - 17%
    Tempo - 33%
    Impenetrable - 25%
    Shielded - 25%

upload_2015-8-19_8-9-45.png

So actually pretty even across the board (most runes had at least one 50%).

12. Tarth

Who knew. Never really seemed worth it to shield her because if she got drowned or targeted it meant something else didnt. Live and learn.

13. Nora That

Nora That I need me some PIE!

a mele magic attack barb will be able to fight spirits as one can make a whole bg of them, caporize, phase shift and the like, barbs have very little against that