Black Lives Matter are defending murderers and drug dealers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Heart, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

that's a ridiculous statement and makes you look very ignorant.

criticizing people is not racist... stereotyping people as loud black people is...

SaintKiwi likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

pretty sure that your stumbling block here is how frequently you say people are racist (or some variant thereof) without actually saying anything else.

it's possible that you're right, but it's on you to show us. if you don't then all you are doing is creating useless noise (not that you're by any means alone in that, but we're focusing on you right now). and the issue i have right here is that you're not actually saying things except "you shouldn't be saying that", which is nearly completely useless as a standalone statement.

start with what you think racism is. don't give me a dictionary answer unless you wrote the dictionary. as well as that, assume that the people you're talking to think they're doing what's right- assume that simply by telling them that they're not, bypassing any sort of discussion and jumping straight to "WRONG", that you won't get anywhere because they'll just continue to think what they do.

unless you're content with producing large quantities of useless noise-spam, in which case by all means, continue.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

what your asking requires more thought and time than i like to put into these conversations. Sometimes I might most of the time i wont.

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I would think that stopping racism would be worth thought and time.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I see the BLM movement in Minnesota as loud criminals. BLM in Minnesota is more than 50% white based on what I've seen on the news and when I've encountered them during their protests. The reason I characterize them as loud criminals is because their protests have been breaking the law. Standing on the tracks blocking the light rail transit system during the Minnesota Twins home opener. Walking on a freeway blocking all lanes of traffic. Camping out in the middle of the street for weeks forcing traffic to route around their encampment. Holding a protest in the Mall of America, which is private property, especially after being told that the mall was private property and the protest was not authorized. While I'm sure that's not all the BLM movement is doing in Minnesota, that is what the general population sees.

6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

the media likes to show stuff like that for ratings and if you watch right wing media you are going to see that alot because of politics.(its a left wing group)

I cant really speak on the movement or organization but if you only get your news from the right, it's mostly going to show the negative side and vice versa from the left.

7. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Here let Chris Rock explain to all of you what is wrong with BLM movement. Go ahead Mr. Rock tell them. There are good people in the BLM who care, but the rest of these guys...... they do nothing and ruin it.

Heart and newsbuff like this.
  8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Regardless of your maladjusted angsty teenboi opinion of what I wrote, show me proof that it's incorrect and that I'm therefore righting it for negative effect and am trying to incite racism?

I didn't say the negative thing because it was negative and I do not like people, I said the negative thing because its the truth happen to be negative concerning that point.

Saandro likes this.
  9. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

MW is just a politically correct zombie, don't mind his prattle.

profhulk likes this.
  10. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

being disrespectful and racist has nothing to do with being politically correct, I guess i shouldnt expect anything different from baskitkase tho.

you dont know anything about me so its funny to me that you even make this statement. Ima just assume your crazy like baskitkase and making stuff up in your head.

11. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

To be deemed "racist" you would have to possess a preconceived notion of a certain race and use negative labels that are associated with the race you are targeting. "Loud black people" is too general to call someone a racist. Considering that you could apply the adjective "loud" to any race and every race has been known to get loud. Loud white, loud latino, loud Asian etc. An obvious case for calling someone a racist would have been if the person stated "all (insert race) are/do this (insert ignorant generalization)". Baskitkase gave an accurate description of what he saw: a large group of people of mostly one ethnicity chaotically running around with signs with no clear purpose except to interrupt traffic, commerce, and be LOUD. BLM is a far cry from civil rights movements of the past which at least had an intelligent spokesperson with credentials who could present a clear case for change. Examples of this: Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Huey P. Newton. Bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off is a better way to describe BLM. Get organized. Get civil. Get a leader.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Alakhami likes this.
  12. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

I'd like to think that all lives matter.

I like the way my dad put it," Everybody is a minority of one." You would be surprised how much of this BS we could avoid if everybody started respecting everybody's rights and got off this group rights nonsense.

Ohmin likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It'd be nice if this was true, but there's a reason why throughout history, individual sub-groups have had to fight for rights for themselves while everyone else downplays the problem or even justifies the status quo.

I actually find it disgusting that the current argument against the rights of minorities and those who feel they are discriminated against is basically, "Everyone else matters too!"

Pretending problems don't exist isn't going to make them go away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    SaintKiwi likes this.
  14. Sokolov

There's a bit of this "mob" thing going on lately for various things:
    • BLM
    • GamerGate
    • OccupyWallStreet
    • etc.
    There are well intentioned individuals and causes within all these, but a lot of times it just seems like there's no real agenda that can be realistically met.

In some cases, part of it is also that some of these things just get hijacked or portrayed by the media, but especially with BLM those who purport to be with the group is often doing more harm to their cause than helping it with their actions.

profhulk likes this.
  15. Sokolov

http://www.economics.ubc.ca/files/2015/01/pdf_paper_marit-rehavi-racial_disparity.pdf

M. Marit Rehavi ~ University of British Columbia and Canadian Institute for Advanced Research
    Sonja B. Starr ~ University of Michigan

"Using rich data linking federal cases from arrest through to sentencing, we find that initial case and defendant characteristics, including arrest offense and criminal history, can explain most of the large raw racial disparity in federal sentences, but significant gaps remain. Across the distribution, blacks receive sentences that are almost 10 percent longer than those of comparable whites arrested for the same crimes. Most of this disparity can be explained by prosecutors’ initial charging decisions, particularly the filing of charges carrying mandatory minimum sentences. Ceteris paribus, the odds of black arrestees facing such a charge are 1.75 times higher than those of white arrestees."

~

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/548/cops-see-it-differently-part-two

Great This American Life episode, Act 1 is about Miami Gardens, which had been in the media a lot for racial profiling and other such problems.

It follows a particular individual, arresting him over and over for no real reason - including "trespassing" at the store where he worked - at one point a judge even gave him an order to stay away from the store.

The police would ignore the store's owner when he told them the guy worked here and would literally come get the guy from the store, while the owner protested.

Eventually the owner gave him a room at the store and covered his store in cameras - not because of crime, but to CATCH THE POLICE.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    profhulk and BurnPyro like this.
  16. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

The video presented here is what the media needs to cover and the type of harassment that a competent civil rights leader should be using to signal those in authority that law enforcement in this area needs reform and monitoring. "BLM get organized please and get someone to compile data such as this to strengthen your case for police reform".

Ohmin likes this.
  17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For the sake of clarification:

It's (BLM) not fighting for rights. It's fighting for the cessation of corruption in certain areas where already existent rights are being illegally impinged upon.

The argument "Everyone else matters too!" is not an argument against minority rights, it's an argument against flipping the table, and discriminating against the "majority" or other minorities, which at least some activists have very much been pushing for.

Pretending problems don't exist won't make them go away, but rioting will cause more problems. Exaggerating the problem (and especially it's cause) will cause more problems.

"White People are to blame" is not an accurate description even if some White people are responsible for certain instances or the institutions of certain policies. Yet that's that many BLM protestors have tried to portray (at least to the Media).

Again, part of that is likely hijacking. Various (self-professed) Communist groups have insinuated themselves into BLM, and George Soros funds a chunk of it, etc. Part of it is probably also media sensationalism (easier to report on a wild or ludicrous event than the many solid, rational events protesting police over-use of violence and/or discrimination).

"All lives matter, so instead of blaming 'White Culture' or whatever lets deal with the real problem..." (Ostensibly the poor Police training and/or oversight.)

That's the argument.

StormChasee and newsbuff like this.
  18. Sokolov

Not in my experience, no.

Even in the quote I posted, the only specific it suggests is that the problem is people caring people minority rights and considering it a problem, rather than those who are causing the problem.

Rather than acknowledge that a problem exists and what is causing it, the argument tends to boil down to:

"All lives matter. Stop complaining."

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Our experiences differ.

It doesn't even suggest that. You infer it.

In terms of that specific "quote" you posted, it can equally "suggest" that everyone else is having the same or similar problem(s).

Besides, much of the "history" of the argument was reactionary. Various people (including mostly Black people) used the phrase "all lives matter" as a supportive statement to the BLM brand... and they got booed or even kicked out for it. It becoming an "argument" against BLM only came about because certain groups of BLM activists actively rejected such statements.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  20. Sokolov

"You would be surprised how much of this BS we could avoid"

(This part of the sentence tells us that what follows is the solution)

"if everybody started respecting everybody's rights"

(This part of the sentence says what we all should want that no one really disagrees with to my knowledge.)

"and got off this group rights nonsense."

(This part of the sentence states the problem - that, fundamentally, people fighting for group rights is "nonsense" and causes the "BS" that "we could avoid.")

There's no inference needed. It's literally written that way.

It's pretty clear what it is saying to me, and it's not even close to what you said.