bloodguard is in need of a buff

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Poxlife, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Poxlife

Poxlife Member

Can't take how unplayable she is right now i know UD is going in a certain direction now but at least give her 1-2 and nora reduction.

This is one of my favorite rune in faction lets please work on getting her fixed

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

it's been discussed before, check out the PC4 patch suggestion thread in underdepths

it's that pet imp doing her in right now and the lack of much blood theme

Poxlife likes this.
  3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I would rather buff a rune that is easier to obtain. She's had her time in the light.

chickenpox2 and SPiEkY like this.
  4. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

I'm seriously annoyed at all the people who willfully want a rune to be bad, just because it used to be good. She's not even average right now. She's freaking terrible and our so-called representative has time and time expressed he couldn't care less.

I understand prioritizing more available runes. I'm all for that. However, when do we acknowledge how big an 'f you' it is for the people who obtained said hard to obtain rune?

Poxlife likes this.
  5. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

to be fair, bloodguard is really only majorly bad because of the cost (which is because of pet) and otherwise it's bloodthemed. badger has always wanted to buff the blood theme more for UD and just because he hasn't thought of anything for her right now doesn't mean it's condemned for ever.

We need to focus more on the lesser runes and wutnot for the mass populace right now over some highly over costed LEG. and it doesn't help that just about everybody hates LEGs being better than everything else for some reason.

and lastly it's those people's fault for getting a pretty silly champ at a high cost (which is because of poxbox i'm guessing). not that i'm saying it's stupid or anything I really blame the trading system for that Bull Bane Shift

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Just think, as least your pretty penny didn't lose its value. I'm not saying Bloodguard doesn't need a buff. But it should be near the bottom of the UD Council's list.

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

in terms of availability i think that forgable legs will allow more people to get her i agree she need pet imp to be to be removed make her viable

8. Legato

I don't care about rune 'values'. It's not something I intend to trade regardless of perceived 'value.'

The only value Bloodguard has is sentimental. It's one of three runes I 'worked on.' It's also a Bok, of a group of runes I generally pushed for like crazy. I have expressed time and time again I don't care at all about 'value' in those terms, I want everything to be readily available for every single player.

Wish I could pull up the post I made right after her release about removing the pet or this eventually happening...sigh.

I just generally have always hated people with an attitude of wanting something shoeboxed because it was good/annoyed/make them actually have to play. I want everything to be viable, without exception. You can chalk it up to idealistic frustration, but she was garbage post vamp, somehow became even worse despite this unequivocal fact and nothing has changed. Badger has said straight up he didn't care for the rune, I'm inclined to say he never has. He could've addressed the upgrades, if nothing else-- it wouldn't change much but let's not pretend there aren't things that could be done.

I miss having an actual designer.

Entrepidus and Poxlife like this.
  9. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

we all do

Poxlife likes this.
  10. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Don't you think that screaming imp isn't sandbagging her?

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

What's strange about all this is that she is listed for a buff in my pcr4 thread.

This is the version I posted on the pcr forums:

Hekatian Bloodguard- [9 DMG | 6 SPD | 1 RNG | 1 DEF | 45 HP]
    Path 1 = drive | Invigorate 1
    Path 2 = Defensive Strike | Motivate | Drain 2
    Base = Attack: Magical | Flight | Pet: Screaming Imp

I know that many of you preferred to lose the imp and keep bleed stuff, but ultimately the art has the imp in it, so I don't see that as an option.

Poxlife likes this.
  12. Poxlife

Poxlife Member

To be honest her cost and her range is the biggest problem the abilites arent whats wrong. Her having 1 Rng and blood dispersal is pointless nd that's her signature ability to me thats what makes her special, this is from someone who plays her even tho she's terrible. do what you will with tha imp

13. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

So? Skeezick Herder has Kanen in his art, and has never interacted with Kanen AFAIK.

14. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

The blood dispersal ability is going to be removed from her. It looks nice, but the amount of healing is too low to have an impact.

15. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I still don't agree with this as mentioned in the original thread when you dropped this on us. I also don't agree that keeping the Imp implies you can't have any Bleed synergy on her. What is the point of her name, now? Drive + Motivate is so obviously auto it baffles me. Defensive Strike is a senseless upgrade because her damage is poor and her range is one.

Why doesn't she have three upgrades in the first path? This bothers me more than anything else about your proposed "buff" (I'd argue it's not). Why would you use a suggestion slot and not give her a full list of diverse upgrade? This just feels like a waste. . .

Many of your suggestions have been exceptional, but this is one where I don't believe you have a clear vision of your desired purpose for her. Either you're not understanding what her actual issues are (hint: it's NOT just the Imp) or you don't understand the reasoning behind many of the other suggested kits.

16. badgerale

I'm pretty happy about the general idea for the mistress/bloodguard rework, though I take your point about the upgrades being an easy choice. What i'm going for here is more of a combat+inspirational support role for the bloodguard (someone who fights but also improves others around her.

With the general slowness here, there may still be time to tweak her. You mentioned punish as an upgrade in the other thread, which seems like it would fit (and give cliffing synergy with the imp). Any other ideas for upgrade abilities?

edit: just to further clarify my reasoning for de-bleeding her. When she was meta, she was not only great in a meta deck, but also a bleed deck, and also an imp deck... given her original ability set there is no way to make her good as a splash-able rune without making her auto in two other themes. In a bleed theme the imp is ill-fitting, in a imp deck the bloodguard herself is ill-fitting... not only is it bad for rune diversity and accessibility, it's also making themes ugly. So it's not so much that she 'couldn't' be made viable with both bleed and imp (though it would likely require manual discounting, which is bad practice), but that it isn't good to do so (imo).

edit 2: So to those who think I don't like her - you're half right. I like the blood dispersal design a lot, but I resent that she was so hard to get hold of, I resent that she was x2 auto, and I resent that she dominated two themes as well as meta. I have absolutely no intention of putting her back in the dysfunctional place she was, but I will work to make her a viable option in the right deck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Poxlife likes this.
  17. badgerale

How about this setup:

Hekatian Bloodguard- [10 DMG | 6 SPD | 1 RNG | 0 DEF | 44 HP]
    Path 1 = drive | Invigorate 1 | Punish
    Path 2 = Defensive Strike | Motivate | Drain 1
    Base = Attack: Magical | Flight | Pet: Screaming Imp

It gives the option of the powerful Punish plus defensive strike combo, at the expene of drive and motivate. Drain 1 would simply give the option of a cheaper build. (messed with the stats for nora saving).

edit: this would put the upgrades at:

drive+motivate = 90nora
    defensive strike+punish =94
    drive+drain 1 =85

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

Can we just fix the problem by putting limp *cwutmyphonedidthar* in upgrade path in place of the punish and add punish to base

19. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

If you remove Bleed from Bloodguard, change her name, then make another Bloodguard with Blood Dispersal... and more damage.

20. Legato

I'd take Defensive Strike if she had 2 range. Defensive Strike at 1 range makes no sense. It seriously frustrates me that I should even have to point this out:
    you're making it a WORSE Assault that COSTS MORE.
    Drain 1 doesn't compete at all with motivate. It should be drain two.
    I have more points but I can't even get to them since this is so fundamentally skewed that it's simply baffling/the reason why I know you seriously either don't care enough to look up simple information or have no business doing this. You're removing the very mechanic that was the impetus for the unit's creation. This is so far missing the mark that it's insulting to Sok. I wouldn't even understand moving it to upgrades, but this...ugh.

She's a bleed champ more than anything. That was her core, that was what was intended of her. This isn't even elusive, it's right in the name.

If you want to direct a unit into one role or theme another you do so with what abilities are on base and the options provided in the upgrade paths. In the very best light what is on base already gives an indication of her optimal theme, with an upgrade that reinforces this, without constricting her to said theme. Dispersal base with bleed as an upgrade did this -- you could use her in bleed without easily, with if necessary, or take bleed anywhere else and make her a UD style healer. You should be addressing the fact Dispersal is grossly overcosted, especially with the damage they allot for her.

I also disagree that a rune being good in two themes makes it bad. There are plenty like this. KF and FW come to mind in particular since almost everything is splashable in so many BGs. When that's largely the case, it's actually great for rune diversity the exact opposite point you're saying it deters from. It's even better for players who acquire a rune to delightfully find out that they may use it in different, but similarly effective ways.

With your reasoning, Deep Elf Summoner should also be shitboxed because she's splashable while fitting in both imps, and treachery. Bloodguard's problem was never her themes, it was the fact she has a pet, that was arguably stronger than she was, but she paid very little for it. The problem with it now is that she's paying for it, but as a unit she's also become so much worse that you'd be better off with a spell that just made your next summon include a screaming pet imp.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014