Bonus Incentives for Cash Purchases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by allyorbase, May 22, 2014.

1. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

This idea was originally in response to another thread, and I feel like it warrants its own discussion:

Offer players bonus incentives when they purchase Owl Credits (e.g. when they spend cash on the game).

Bearing in mind that F2P should not necessarily mean "Pay 2 Win," the bonuses would not directly affect play -- no limited edition runes, etc. Instead, the rewards could be any of the following:

• Earn bonus game gold for XX days
    • Receive a fixed or random amount of Nora Shards (for Rune Forge), tourney tickets, and/or Game Gold
    • Receive special taunts, custom UI skins, or other cosmetic elements (if/when they become available)
    • Temporarily increase the chance to get Legendaries in Boxes -- more purchases, more increase.
    • Etc. etc.

Ultimately, this idea seeks to do two things: 1) incentivize and reward players who keep the game fed without giving them an unfair advantage, and 2) offset some of the buyer's remorse that comes with tragically bad box luck.

Any thoughts?

Woffleet, SPiEkY and Poxbrothers like this.
  2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

As stated in that thead, this would be one possibility to alleviate the excruciating randomness of box purchases, and I support anything that does that.

3. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I would just sell a random legendary pack on top of everything else.

Core Legendary Pack - 300 Owls
    Extended Legendary Pack - 600 Owls
    Expansion Legendary Pack - 800 Owls

Each pack contains 1 legendary and tokens. More tokens the better the pack.

In the end it would increase the amount of legendaries for paying players and non-paying players. They can't be forged, so no issue there and paying players can use them to trade with non-paying players to get more runes.

Plus... the amount of random packs some people might buy..

allyorbase and SPiEkY like this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I like this idea.

5. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

DoG really needs to do something to get me motivated to give them money, and not a third party seller. It is so, so much easier for me to spend a few dollars with a third party seller/get what I want, than to spam boxes and get junk.

Give me customization options i.e. special no-trade skins, etc.

6. allyorbase

Things like this are a win-win for the players and Owl: you get people to spend money on your product, and players get something they want (and something shiny and "exclusive"). The varied tiers allow even casual players to get a few LEs without much investment or risk.

Now, if you combined this with a purchase reward system, that would get a lot of people to take the paying-player plunge.

7. OSkin

OSkin New Member

The cost of owl credits in ratio of how much u need for a box is too hight for me and many other players I thought. Also considering the randomness of packs/boxs is realy too much expensive, and the forge devalues too much the price of what u find but u don't need, and the trade is just a shark pool or the tool for external trading sites that monopolize the market.
    So I propose no solution, but certainly I ask for a review of the overall system acquisition and Forged runes, beacuse right now it's really discouraging.

8. Tejaila

Tejaila The King of Potatoes

Not exactly on topic, but still a way to make Owl credits more attractive: Skins (This is not my idea - has been stated a bunch of times in the past)

The obvious was always Avatar Skins...

9. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Runes purchased with money should be fully leveled.

10. Boozha

allyorbase likes this.
  11. allyorbase

Can you provide the link to the other thread, as well, for posterity?

12. Boozha

13. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Here's an idea:

Get rid of bloody stupid owl credits and just charge me cash!

Cheap and nasty money making scheme, selling silly amounts of credits.

14. Boozha

I t4hink they do that for legal reasons.

15. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Part of it is business, part of it is legal.

If you start paying money for goods, then the goods have inherent value which can lead to problems with concerns about property and who owns what and so on and so forth, pretty soon gambling laws can come into play, and it can kill a game. When you charge for an online currency, it's clean. Money for "Owl Points" = cool. "Owl Points" for cards = cool. Money for cards = not so cool.

So when you charge for other amounts of money that don't match the packs you're buying, then there's leftover value, which hits the OCD-ish reflex a lot of people have, making them want to spend more. It's good business sense, which is why damn near everybody does it. The only people who don't are those with established player-bases and tons of money to begin with, ie. companies like Valve and Blizzard, who are also the ones with the legal teams to sort out the ill-defined internet legalities.