Boosts, Commanders and Defenders OH MY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No.

Etherielin and Xirone like this.
  2. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Everything looks good except defender i can't imagine people running armorer at above 50 something nora i think i am the only one who runs him now even. On the other hand skeletons would be crippled and so would beasts, i rather just see boost 3 dealt away with.

3. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Though I generally like the idea of Race and Class being on each of the abilities, you have to be really careful which champions get which abilities. For example, Archer Commander currently has Command: Archer. With this change, she'd affect all KF Archers and all KF Elves. Like I said, I do generally like the idea but you'd have to be really careful about which champions get which abilities.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Defender 3 might be a bit much. +3 defense is an incredible amount, particularly at that range.

Sealer0 likes this.
  5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

To be honest, I have been angling for Sermon for the Human Paladins / Inquisition theme for ages so I may be biased but I feel that conditional or temporary stat boosts are alright. Abilities like Battledrum and spells like Draconic Benediction keep the game moving and help counter turtling. Without them you run the risk of both players building up their forces and waiting for the other player to make the first move.
    Abilities like Sermon are conditional and should force decision making as well as having avenues of counterplay. Forgive me if it already works this way but Sermons CD should be somewhere around 3-4 but not begin counting down until the champion moves. This forces the player to decide whether using the ability is a good idea or not. Using the ability gives a strong boost but doing so locks the unit down, unable to move without losing the buff for a while. The opponent should also be able to "break" the ability by forcing movement either through pulls, knockback or removal.

sassquatch likes this.
  6. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'd much rather see Aid:Defense get a range tacked on rather than total removal. Firk are rather squishy without it altogether for starters.

7. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

ahhhhhh now I get it. Pox doesn't have set rotation but it CAN have ability rotation. pretty sneaky sis.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Agreed. Should be something like:
    Defender 1/2/3: Champions within 2/3/4 spaces that share a race or class with this one have +2 Defense.
    or
    Defender 1/2/3: Champions within 3 spaces that share a race with this one have +1/2/3 Defense

9. Sokolov

I think I'd prefer to axe Rank 3 in that case.

10. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Sermon Change to this champion gains Boost, Commander, Defender until moved?

soulmilk and Woffleet like this.
  11. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I like the idea of the stat bonuses being stagnant but the range increasing with their respective ranks.

12. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Defence is stronger than damage, and shouldn't cost the same.

+3 defence in AoE 5 is a big no-no. Current defender is strong, yours is a super buffed version.

Reduce the range of buffs. Force good positioning tyvm.

2 ranks would be enough so that you wouldn't overbuff stuff.

13. Sokolov

Part of the attractiveness of AE consistency is that it doesn't matter what rank you have or see, you know how to position for this set of abilities.

Lauremoon and kalasle like this.
  14. Sokolov

Updated original post to 2 ranks per ability.

Nice thing about 2 ranks is that I can have an upgrade path that is Boost 1/2, with a 3rd, non-theme ability, if desired.

15. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Looks much better.

16. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

So, are you aware that this solution brings skeletons to a point of revamp or bury them, right?

Another question: what of resilient aura? Will it be axed? Resilient aura+ defender will be quite impactful given that cone and single target abilities were toned down.

17. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

I'm in favor of separating/consolidating boosts. I just hope that themes and champions designed around (or quite recently altered because of) multiple stacking boosts will get a fair deal.

18. Sokolov

This is why I want to get this change in before I work on themes so that any themes that are broken as a result of the change can be adjusted when it's their turn for specific review.

19. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Bear in mind that when/if these get implemented, we can give them to different champs in different themes.

So in skellies, tomb lord could get commander, bonewing could get boost, something else could get defender... and the potential buffs would actually go up.

that's just an example to illustrate the point.

20. D4rkSteel

D4rkSteel I need me some PIE!

Skeletons already have a hard time setting up. Splitting the boost into several different champs makes them even harder to set up.