Boosts, Commanders and Defenders OH MY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Nyanta

Nyanta I need me some PIE!

that may be true but you could also not draw the specific boost you need and not get the bonus when you need it most if its on multiple champs or be stuck picking between range based champion or melee based champ making decisions harder depending on what you need , to have the champion that can fight the best or the ability to boost champs properly

how much cheaper than before and would the discount be worth it considering they will have to include and play all 3 champions to get a close version of the old boost taking up more space and costing more nora than a single champ and would the booster champions be reworked to be better than before or would they just receive the new boost on their respective trees ?

2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Boost 3 is currently 14, at the moment the new stat boosts would be 3 and 6 Nora.

There is also the fact that you can deploy specifically the stat you need, so if you want hit points you van get more of them for cheaper.

Obviously, there will be disadvantages too, but i don't think it has to be a nerf overall.

Sealer0 likes this.
  3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I will echo a previous sentiment: HP boosts are frustrating to play with and against. Inflated HP values can throw balance out of wack, and the additional micro required to ensure you don't ace your own champion is tedious, unrewarding, and dull.

Woffleet likes this.
  4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

This isn't about it being a nerf or a buff. This is moreso a change in approach. Actual powerlevel concerns are to be adressed along with theme overhaul if I got this right.

5. Nyanta

while that may be your intent i cant help but feel that this will be a nerf and it would vary on how bad a nerf it is based on who gets what ability .
    for example i play skeletons and out of the 5 boost skeleton champions 3 are skeletons and out of those three i feel that 2 are good and provide a lot for the theme but if this change went through i would have to include more boost champs to get a similar effect losing space in my bgs and depending on the ability they receive i might be forced to include a champion i dont like or put in a champ that i feel wouldnt go into the deck well and there also the fact that the range decrease will lead to the multiple boost champions having to be grouped up leading to them being bombed and aoe to death so while losing one champion may cause your bg to crash imagine losing 2-3 champs to those and then losing the bonus on top of that.I also dont like the idea of having to chose one champ over the other for a bonus stat and considering that the boost units will cost roughly the same as each other it(based on upgrade choice) means that trying to get the same bonus will still be a lot of nora and take a long time.

6. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

If skellies is the only theme that would suffer, better make the changes and give them some buffs (if needed). I feel like this would solve the issue of other themes getting bonuses they really don't need (lonx +hp, draksar +hp)

7. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

So there is no hope for a smaller range making it harder/more rewarding to use? Seems like its going to be to simple to keep your units with in the range 5 and it mitigates a lot of the issues phalanx style is suppose to have. Next we will see every race/faction being able to phalanx I guess.

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

This change would help this somewhat, by reducing the amount of hit point boosts, and making those that do boost HP more focused on that - so hopefully easier to remember.

9. Nyanta

I dont find the proposed version more rewarding just harder to use and costly in nora and bg space plus other players have mentioned a common problem with the boost decks being micro managing one unit that if moved wrong can kill your weakened champs. The new version makes it so that for boost champs to grant additional def, damage, and health ill have to plan the movements of 3 champions constantly possibly giving up attacks so that the other champs get the bonus and then not splitting them up to maintain a similar bonus to the old one and on top of that safe guarding them or the whole deck falls apart. This also means that if boost decks runs into a part of the game where they have to split up their forces to fight at another area or font one side will have to do with out certain bonuses creating more weaknesses than before which imo would make boost themes into a micro management nightmare that wouldnt be fun to play due to all the holes it would have.

10. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- AoE hps is at best a wonky false sense of security buff. Its like an illusion buff, when you take damage you still lose hps from your base hp total so it just doesnt feel right in actual gameplay.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

I did not read the whole thread, just the first post. When I read the first post, I feel positive to it. I never really liked those big stat boosts that made different champions so dependent on each other. It just promoted slow play, no action before you have all your 10 or 15 Champs out and then the strategy is gone and its just about luck and who can make all moves in time. So yea, in general i like that these things are toned down. :) Finally a positive post from me too, I almost feel proud :)

12. Tarth

Its easier to use. Im not saying splitting it up is bad, its good, but the range makes it way to easy to use regardless of who is using it.

13. Nyanta

And i believe the opposite because other players have already mentioned they hate the fact that one wrong move and their champions might explode from moving out of range of the hp boost making the range smaller will lead to more champions exploding from misplays til the players get use to the new range and considering that the players aren't 100% use to the range at 6 means that a lot of players will make mistakes at the new smaller range. There is also the fact that with the new change boost decks may lose a bonus or be forced to sacrifice space for a similar bonus and then to get the bonus the player will have to play and maintain range 5 with 3 separate champions instead of 1 which cost more and depending on several different things may make the deck way more difficult to play than before. I also have other concerns that come with the change like what happens to relics ,spells ,ability's and equipment that worked with the theme before will they get looked at or changed with the new boost?

14. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

what do you plan to with themes that are lacking already, i.e. witches that only have one source of a boost through voltary, and no access to things like battle master? I'd like to make a viable witch deck, but they just seem to lag behind other well built themes.

Witches can't really splash into split because of how dependent on witches, witching hour, and witches hourglass they are. I've gotta rely on two witches, voltary and enchantress, to get dmz with shade strike, etc.

Most witches aren't even runnable, mysian, sarinda, inkblight, etc, etc.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

See http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...1-wings-and-hyaenids.10852/page-3#post-151892 for what is happening in the first of many theme reviews.

16. Tarth

So..you believe its not easier having a larger range? That makes sense...Mistakes are the players fault not the games.

17. Nyanta

current range of boost 3 is 6 proposed version of all 3 ability's that would make up the new boosts is 5 it is 1 range smaller not bigger and trying to use all three would create problems in game depending a variety of factors and while it may be the players fault i dont think lessening the range will make them better players or make the accidents happen less.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  18. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

I quote myself bacause i would like some feedback for this idea of defender.

19. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

wouldn't this just make defender a worse version of enduring aura?

20. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

And what is defender right now?

Rokkushun likes this.