Boosts, Commanders and Defenders OH MY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

good point

2. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Thank you.

However the real point is: if you want a bigger buf, than you should stay more close (3 spaces are good, 2 spaces are bad really really bad). 5 spaces for rank 1 and 3 spaces for rank 2/3 would make defender a good option.

3. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

We could probably just remove ranks from these completely.

Commander: Friendly champions that share a race or class within 4 spaces gain +2 DMG. This ability does not stack. (Nora: 5)

Defender: Friendly champions that share a race or class within 4 spaces gain +2 DEF. This ability does not stack. (Nora: 5)

Simple. No potential issues with multiple ranks overlapping. If its base you don't have to argue for the desired rank. If its an upgrade it isn't consuming a whole path.

I wouldn't shed any tears if the health increasing one just went away. If a champ or theme is so dependent on the +6 HP from boost that it is not viable without it, it just needs some damn HP added to base.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Ranked abilities don't have an issue overlapping in general. They work pretty well together as far as I know (let me know if some are buggy).

5. JaceDragon

boost: construct - when a new unit with boost i deployed (Y), only the new bonus is applied. So when the a strux is in the boost of Y all is oke, but when Y move out of range or i killed, the boost of X didn't tregger, and you need to move out of range and then in range to make the buff apply

battlemaster - if i have a battlemaster unit out (ex Euan) and this affect a unit we will cal X, if i deploy another champ with battlemaster (DK) in the range of the champ X, X will get 2 battlemaster bonus until Euan or DK move.

6. Sokolov

NEW PROPOSAL

Boost: X - Global, ? HP for stated X (Nora: ???)
    Commander - AE5, DAM 2 for all friendlies (Nora: 8)
    Commander: X - AE5, DAM 2 for the stated X (Nora: 5)
    Defender - AE5, DEF 2 for all friendlies (Nora: 8)
    Defender: X - AE5, DEF 2 for the stated X (Nora: 5)

So base Commander and base Defender will be for everyone, if there is a specific race or class listed, it's for that set only. Obviously the race restricted versions would be cheaper.

Boost would become global, and be an HP buff only.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Would Commander: X stack with Commander: X? Would Commander (normal) stack with Commander: X? I like this suggestion.

8. Sokolov

It COULD, but probably not a good idea.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, would agree. Buff stacking needs a closer eye post-revamp because of the proportion changes. The proposed changes look good.

If ranks are an important part of differentiation, 2 ranks with a moderate gap in-between would be a good way to do it. Supplies distinction, remains simple.

10. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Looks great. :)

11. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

Actually I think ranks detract from this type of ability where max rank is always best. I also think not stacking would be better overall. However since so few cases exist where class and race overlap for these types of buffs then let the ipox types find the loopholes and let those rare instances stack for now.

12. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

On a side note I also think the defense boost should be cheaper than the damage boost since damage is actively used verses defense being reactive.... assuming both are at a static +2 bonus.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'd think it would be the other way around, because of the comparative marginal power of 2 points of defense. Without stacking, that may not be as big a deal, but I think they should at least remain equal in cost.

14. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

In certain cases, I could see having Commander and Commander: X on the same upgrade path.
    This allows a champ to be run slightly cheaper in theme with the option of performing the same role in a mixed bg at a higher cost.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I think Boosts should be race only, and Commander/Defender class only.
    Would open a lot of room for things, and would solve problems like units being Angel/Paladin/Dwarf/Construct and receiving all the benefits.

16. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

I just want to ask if you Sok think phalanx is a legitimate playstyle in pox. If so how do these changes impact it? If not, why not? From what I can see its watering down the benefits and making it to easy to do. Im not talking about boost change, or commander changes, all ideas about ranges and splitting them up are good, but the rest seem to remove a lot of the power behind the phalanx ( as well as make it easier to pull off for anyone to do it)

17. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

With how much spell spam and cone attacks are stacked in every faction I don't believe phalanx is a legit stye.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Even with cones now having CD3 instead of CD2? Between that and the IS faction bonus, I think phalanx is a valid play style in IS. Perhaps not other factions.

19. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

If you go forward with that idea (about Boost being a global HP buff) remember Forment on the Druid in KF. Those two should be consolidated.

On a similar note, the "if 5 speed get + 1" ability (forgot its name) could also be consolidated with a general boost mechanic like the one mentioned.

20. JaceDragon

Heavy nerf on defender