Buffs for Next Patch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Can you provide a compelling argument why he should be given a bunch of free stats beyond "I think he's bad?"

I mean, it certainly is true that free stats to any unit will improve the unit, but I'd rather design runes that pay for that it has and is run because of what it offers, not because it is simply over efficient relative to what it has.

So, for example, if you want to argue that X unit should be discounted by Y, because ability A and B can't be used at the same time, or he has low DMG and high RNG, so we should discount the RNG, etc.

Note: I am not saying there isn't an argument for it, but I was wondering what you thought of it, particularly since so many of your suggestions for rune changes seem to be "free stats."

~

As for the "Warrior" thing, I don't think a unit's current class means much, particularly since he actually doesn't wield a weapon (just a shield) and his flavor test specifically mentions he is a warrior who happens to be adept at magic.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

Sonic Flight is overcosted...

3. Sokolov

No problem. As for "wait and see," that is pretty much how all design works. You can guess, and sometimes very accurately, and of course that is my job to guess, but ultimately, until it's out there, you don't really know. MTG has a ton of resources for testing, and yet still they must errata/ban/restrict cards constantly. They also have the benefit of rotations to filter/limit combinations.

I mean, we could take the approach of not designing anything that is remotely interesting or potentially powerful, but then you end up with things like are probably efficient, but doesn't do anything interesting most of the time; which isn't what you want either.

Corpse took the power is fun approach, and while I am not as close to the edge as he is, I don't want to just pre-nerf stuff either and not give players anything interesting to play with either. Catalysts, for example, is somewhat of a regret of mine, as they were designed to be fairly heavy combo pieces, but pre-launch concerns caused me to limit their potential significantly and so not much fun has been had with them yet, even after I buffed them slightly.

4. Sokolov

I could see that.

5. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I am just throwing this out there but it seems like all the wings are dwarf & beast. Just thinking ahead to race consolidation, couldn't amber wing be a support with boost to help remove the need to include Houndmaster or whatever boost beast is often used with them? This way they could be Race Griffin with a boost. Just a random thought. Ready to be flamed by IS players....

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Brubaker Resistance is a 8 nora ability that grants either a 4 nora ability or a 5 nora ability. Reduce to 4.
    Brubaker Bond costs 10 nora to grant 13 nora worth of abilities with a massive restriction on its ability to receive any benefit at all. Reduce to 6?

Edit: Awww Inquisition got changed to no longer give Faithless to champs branded by Mark.

7. Sokolov

Note that we are basically locked for the patch, so I am not really going to change/add much at this point unless it's a really amazing idea or pointing out something really critical that I goofed on.

As always, this is not the last patch ever so :)

Iskandak likes this.
  8. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's funny how a few pages back Sok was talking about maybe not doing anything with the Roughneck cause he was getting pissed at it being spammed over and over, but now he is coming out and defending it. Some reverse psychology has gone down here.

9. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Does this mean the patch is happening today? Between this comment and Moles comment, I am hoping so. Anything less I will be very disappointed ;)

10. Sokolov

I had already changed it, actually. I was just being a troll to Dresnar.

11. Sokolov

No.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Sok... bro, why do you keep replying to Elr1c?

13. Sokolov

I don't see names. Nor race.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

But do you see nonsense?

15. Sokolov

16. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

Making Silverclan Cavalier playable is indeed a really amazing idea! ;)

17. Sokolov

Yea, he's pretty confused right now. I took a look at him earlier and didn't find anything I really liked, but he's definitely on the board for a change at some point.

18. sidmouth

sidmouth The King of Potatoes

I've been playing with cyclops stone caller and I kinda take back everything I said. People are probably underrating him a bit and generally I kinda like him :p

19. Sokolov

Yea, I didn't change him too much ultimately, left his RNG and mostly just took of Rock Front for a small cost decrease and +DMG.

20. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Would you be willing to update the main post now that you are locked for the patch so that we would have an idea of all the changes to expect.