bug fixes and droppin dishes!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ktm, Mar 19, 2014.

1. ktm

ktm Member

ok, recently i posted in someones thread a metaphorical little story that is comparable to the decision making behind bug fixes and programming that desert owl is facing right now, i would like to repost it here for all to see because frankly even though the general population is happy with whats going on there are some bitter individuals who frankly need to open their eyes a little more.

here it is as follows:

lets use an example.

you have 2 hands and are walking past the counter. on the counter is a glass plate, a pitcher full of grape juice, a fork, a butter knife, a used napkin and an apple pie.
    you bump into the counter and BLAMO, EVERYTHING goes flying. you happen to have amazing reflexes and (amazingly) can catch 3 of these wonderful objects as they are falling.
    zip! zap! woosh!
    man you shoulda seen that!
    that was AMAZING!
    i have such GOOD reflexes!!

now... the important question.
    which of those objects did you catch? now remember you only have 3 to choose.
    if it were me, these are the things that i would pick
    1- the grape juice. if i dont catch it, it would make one helluva mess. (can apply to some bugs)
    2- the glass plate. if i dont catch it, it could be dangerous, make a bit of a mess, and it would be broken, unable to be used. (can apply to some bugs)
    3- the apple pie. if i dont catch it, all the hard work going into making it has gone to waste, and we wont be able to get another one any time soon until more effort has gone into making it again! (this to applies, maybe not to some bugs but other programming issues). besides EVERYONE loves PIE!!

since i didnt catch the other ones, lets look at the results of letting them fall.
    1- the fork. it landed points down, right on my toe! thank god it wasnt that heavy. it stung a little, but i can get over it. besides ive got time to pick it up later.
    2- the napkin. its so light that nobody even noticed it! ill pick it up when ive got time.
    3- the butter knife. it went clangity clang! everyones looking at me funny, jeez im so embarrassed! hey look though! guys i caught all these more important things! no? you didn't see?.... the pie?. the.... the juice..? No? *sigh*

just like game bug squashing.
    - you have limited resources. limited time (hey man its falling!/we only have 2 days to the next patch guys come on!). limited manpower (2 hands guys!/only 'X' amount of staff).
    - everyone is noticing the things you DONT do (the clangity clang!/hey my picture is missing!)
    - people dont seem to see when you work miracles (3 things caught man. c'mon thats AMAZING!/look at all the new features, runeforging, gold pack purchasing, and a bunch of fixes. remember this all started BEFORE they even took over, desert owl spoke with nvidia and got the whitescreen fixed!)

2. ktm

ktm Member

you like? i like. you like~!