Cactuar Crate - Coalitions Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, May 11, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

50% seems like it's too much of a nerf, 75% doesn't seem like it changes much of anything. At the same time I feel strongly that we need to do something, so.

2. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Not sure if anyone noticed,but nearly every stitched got nerfed with an increased cost with the new hp/def formula(from 2 to 5 nora).
    Thanks for killing both worms and stitched,now i really dont have anything to play.
    Moga and many other themes got nerfed as well in the same way.
    FW got bunch of random runes,either for meta which is already really strong or for various themes which are dead and barely playable.
    This is the worst expansion i ever experienced.

3. Netherzen

I am leaving FW because there are no more themes for me to enjoy and play.
    I was hoping Stitched would not get nerfed since they were my first and favorite theme in this game.
    I was gonna check out other factions and their themes but everything i had an interest in got nerfed as well(like moga).

4. Sokolov

No themes were specifically nerfed with the formula update.

Most runes got cost increases at various levels.

5. Netherzen

A nerf is a nerf,whatever its direct or indirect,intentional or not.

6. Sokolov

But if you are deciding what to play based on if it has been nerfed with the patch, then you have to acknowledge that the baseline has shifted as well.

Balance doesn't happen in a vacuum.

drathys likes this.
  7. Netherzen

I agree.But meta/goodstuff bgs will adapt to this while theme bgs are far less flexibile and will be affected more by it.

8. Sokolov

Whether or not it's nerfs or buffs, you can always argue that meta BGs can adapt or take advantage better.

Which is why typically I don't buff or design runes with meta in mind - they will find things that work regardless. I love themes and believe they are healthy for the game and my goal is always to expand themes in a balanced way.

drathys likes this.
  9. Netherzen

I would love to believe that but the change in hp/def formula doesn't show me that,it balanced and changed meta which will adapt anyway but made any theme it touched worse.

10. Sokolov

Do you think themes should use a different formula?

And if we reverted the formula change, you could then argue that meta BGs got buffed more than themes. So I am not sure there's a way to win with this line of argument; because the premise appears to be that change benefits meta more than themes.

drathys likes this.
  11. Netherzen

I think themes need more theme advantage because they lack flexibility and options of meta bgs.

Also,heres an example:

12. Netherzen

I dont want to win an argument,i just want a playable decent themes that wont get demolished by meta/goodstuff bg as soon as the match starts.

13. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

Is there a reason Woodchuck is not a Vashal? He looks to be the same race as the Vashal standing right next to him.

14. Sokolov

I agree, which is often why their racials or unique interactions are far cheaper than would otherwise be and have overt synergies built in between champions - the latter of which I want to expand on in particular for most themes.

~

Let's put it this way, off the top of my head...

There are some of the themes for which I am solely responsible for their existence:
    • Ferren
    • Crystals
    • Fae/Aurora
    • Slag
    • Wings/Sigils
    • Worms (Creep in my day)
    • Minotaurs
    These are some of the themes for which I am responsible for greatly expanding:
    • Bleed
    • Firk
    • Myx
    • Hyaenids
    And the Maljaran races I worked on alongside Corpse and Rev.

15. Netherzen

On that list the only themes i saw being played are: Myx,stitched,kanen,worms(before they got destroyed),minotaurs.
    The rest are more or less anomalies that sometimes one can observe a low rank player messing around with.

16. Sokolov

It's true that various themes are at various levels of playability. I do think most are playable, rather than "shoebox" just because they aren't top tier. The revamp hurt a lot of themes in particular and some, such as Ferren, no longer work anything like they used to. These have been being worked on, and I will continue to work on them. Even Worms have had various passes on their runes (I buffed many of them) before the Necrosis nerf (which I feel is a justified nerf, and we'll have to see if the specific implementation works or not).

But anyway, the point is that I love themes and have been working on developing them for a long time, and most of the themes that exist exist largely because I made them so. You might be skeptical of my support for themes based on a formula change that did not target themes specifically, but I am asking you to look at the bigger track record.

17. Netherzen

No worries,i got no hard feelings or anything,i am just in the stage of grieving over various themes.
    And yes,many themes are not shoebox and playable but if you take that theme to ranked,get crushed constantly by everything,then the difference between playable and shoebox starts to go away,its either meta playable or depressing to play with because how poorly it works(unless you are playing singleplayer).
    Il stick around and see if there are any interesting themes left for me to play,might give Slags a try,always loved terrain interactions.

18. Sokolov

I will tell you this.

I've been trying to get the baseline of this game more correct since I've come back. While I believe the goal of the revamp was good, it did hurt a lot of the balance that had been achieved over the long haul, and I feel like the baseline is just getting back to normal - a lot of it has to do with the formula as well as the base cost of abilities. There's still stuff to shake out with the formula, particularly for really low cost stuff that had modifiers due to the old formula not handling low HP values well (altho Moga don't really have as many as people believe).

With most of that work out of the way, as well as a lot of over the top stuff having been dealt with (not all, mind you, but a good chunk), I can focus more on what I have been wanting to do; review and buff themes in a comprehensive faction.

You will see I had intended to do this sooner, for example, with the Maljaran theme thread I made... awhile ago.

~

So on this we agree: we want themes to be more playable and competitive, and I look forward to your continued participation in this endeavor.

Xirone, drathys and Netherzen like this.
  19. Netherzen

I am glad you support themes,i guess its just kinda frustrating when the changes are so slow and everytime a change happens,its one step foward,two step back and 3 steps sideways,but if the changes take time to be properly done and you got other issues to deal with,then i guess patience is the best option for me.

20. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

I'll make a data request about maps. What maps favor first player and which favor player 2.
    Secondly: Could we get a winrate % between factions?