Cactuar Crate - Coalitions Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, May 11, 2015.

1. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Maybe Making it only trigger once per turn it is engaged, no matter the number of champions.

"Thirst for Battle: At the end of your turn, this unit permanently gains +2 DMG and +1 def if it is engaged." I feel it needs a more specific statement expliciting it wouldn't stack on the number of enemies, but I guess my english isn't that great.

It wouldn't be an incredible nerf, but would potentially slow it down.

Ambiguity is real in Desecration. Although it specifies 10 damage, I believe it still should apply the resistance because the description is not specific to shrines, but also relics. So, for all my Pox knowledge is worth, I believe that saying it's supposed to be 10 dmg to relics and 5 to shrines would be the right mechanic. Just saying this to emphasize the logic in the change, since it is specifically stated in shrines that they take half damage from spells.

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Agreed, it does specifically state that shrines and relics take 10 damage. For the damage to be reduced by shrine resistance would mean it would have to deal more damage to relics to still deal 10 to shrines.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Or, you know, you could just remove the explicit shrine damage part and have it deal 5/10/5 to champs/relics/shrines?

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

All units in the AoE take 5 damage. Relics take double damage.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So here's the thing.

Numbers are stated specifically all over the place in Pox, but they are always subject to adjustments due to effects unless otherwise stated, Desecration should be no exception. The only reason it is explicitly stated is because of the weird way the damage is split up.

Desecration's problem isn't with Shrines specifically, but rather that the Magical damage portion bypasses resistances in general.

So if you have a Relic with Resistance - Magical 3, it takes full damage also.

However, the Disease damage portion does not have this behavior.

6. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov

Has the OP been update? Stuff seems to be the same for awhile or have I missed something?

Anima26 likes this.
  7. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Can elsari votary be changed a bit to improve few themes?
    My suggestion is:
    Remove undead from race,remove boon
    Replace commander with boost.
    He would boost liches,wizards and witches which would help fw themes.
    Also add warding to prevent casting necro hex on him(to prevent race undead and boost).

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Get out, you traitor.

9. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Boost would be SO much better on Elsari Votary than Commander.

I don't think you can just remove the Undead race from him. He's Undead. He has Boon. That's just who he is.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think Commander is much better on him, for two main reasons: first, as a Witch commander, witches never struck me as an HP-stacking theme, in any way. Seems out of place, and more damage fits the bill; second, Boost: Undead sounds like a terrible idea.

11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I have a feeling all themes in Pox will eventually converge to that, due to player demand.

12. Pedeguerra

Move towards, as in eventually people will complain that X theme isn't "efficient" enough because Y theme can stack so much HP/DMG/DEF, whatever, much like at this point a lot of themes have access to Regal Presence, etc. etc. etc.

13. Pedeguerra

It's more of a gut instinct than based off real facts, I just have this feeling that no matter what Sok does people will always demand their themes have access to boost, commander, defender, etc.
    But hey, let's hope I'm wrong! :D

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Correct, Sok isn't going to change what people say they want. That, however, doesn't mean anything about his or anyone else's design decisions.

15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think boost is a particular desire because its kinda OP, who wouldn't want global hp for 7 Nora?

BurnPyro likes this.
  16. Pedeguerra

Honestly? I really don't feel anything about it because I haven't seen it in play.
    However, since you asked, and assuming this is the current form (Friendly champions within 5 spaces that share a race or class with this champion has +2 DEF. This ability does not stack with other Defenders), I think it's in a fine spot, although AoE 5 is pretty huge.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Even without stacking, paying for Defender on one champ is going to be much cheaper than paying for 2 DEF on multiple champs. I believe the formula for DEF is HP/18. Defender is currently a 5 nora ability.

A champ with 54 HP pays 3 nora per point of defense, or 6 nora for the defense it receives from Defender.
    A champ with 36 HP pays 2 nora per point of defense, or 4 nora for the defense it receives from Defender.

Since the average HP is somewhere between 36 and 54, I would say the average champ pays between 4 and 6 nora for the defense it receives from Defender, which is roughly the same as the cost of Defender.

That means having two champs in the radius is already a nora gain as long as your opponent doesn't ignore the two champs and remove the defender first.

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree, defender is much more valuable in some themes over others. I was just commenting on how Defender at 5 nora is almost always efficient, even with only one champion benefiting from it.

19. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't think it was intended to be an OP ability in the sense you refer to. I think it was intended to be a theme ability - which also means giving more than its noras worth (as compensation for deck restrictions).

So you would expect it to be over efficient, and that all themes could become better with boost - just as every theme could become better with a creep and crawl or a channelled violence equivalent.

So if we take it as a theme ability, I think costing half the Nora of what it provides is a useful rule of thumb.

If we assume 5hp = 3.5 Nora (a guess) and 5 champs including itself are likely to be on board as an average (another guess) that is 17.5 Nora in stats given, which would mean a price of 8.75, which is more than it is priced at.

BUT on top of this, my worry is that because it is more universal than other racials that it is not always the sole synergy, but rather an added extra -- in which case it becomes not the compensation for running a theme, but free stats for themes that already have synergy.

Some themes are built on stat boosts (voil, lonx, skeleton) which is fine, because that's there thing - but even then there are always other things going on, and when it bleeds into other decks that have their own thing, like kanen - which should be focusing on pack leader/mentality synergy (not that this is a recent thing) I think it could cause problems.

Sooooo, maybe it shouldn't be as efficient as other theme abilities, but should be more of a softer synergy -- maybe 9 or 10 Nora cost, which is still nicely efficient but not as much as standalone 'racial' type abilities.

This kinda rambled, sorry about that.

(Edited because of a math fart)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  20. Pedeguerra

I think this race/class clause is bound to be problematic eventually. Its much easier to balance based off races than classes, if I was playing I'd be rolling only split bgs with internal class synergy.