Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

In this particular instance I agree, I think the revamp did little for worms, but it certainly could have. Reformatting costs and shifting accepted averages introduced the buff-centric gamestate we have now. A set of extremely broad or universal changes, even if scaled to their relative targets, can produce massive results.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

But it's the best baseline we have to discuss changes. It's pretty much a fruitless exercise to compare pre-revamp Worms (with the old racial, mind you) vs the old meta to current Worms vs the current meta. Including the radical shifts is largely meaningless in most cases, as you can't reliably demonstrate or conclude anything meaningful from it. You can talk about combinations of things that are generally problematic, such as the whole Stealth + CA concern, but specifics about costing for an entire theme is much harder to normalize between the 2 eras.

That reminds me. The 2x2 thing. It looks like there is something in the system, but it amounts to between 1-3 nora or so for most of the champions that are typically used, with champions that are 70 nora or less 1 nora off (or 0), while units that are 90+ nora can potentially get -3, while it seems to take a 100 base cost to get -4. Carrion Colossus is about as high as they come and gets -5.

Also, pre-revamp, units already had the 2x2 tweak, so it's not like that's a new thing.

3. Sokolov

He had a positive nora modifier before, and to be honest, still does.

4. Sokolov

Even something is like Chieftain only gets 2 nora off. I am not sure what you mean by "cap for the second 2x2 discount." Or do you just mean when the formula was updated? I wasn't super involved in that, only that I felt that high stats seemed to cost more than they should.

5. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Can Demon Shield please be changed to give Elusive, rather than Arrow Eater? That way there's a bit more counterplay than just Shatter.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Berserker vs. Careless inconsistency:

Careless is -10 Nora

Berserker 1/2/3 is -2/7/14 Nora

Stat Bonus: SPD +1 is 8 nora.

Stat Bonus: DMG +1/+2 is 2/3 Nora,.

This is obviously a bit inconsistent. The spacing between Berserker Ranks should probably be 9 at all points past rank 1 (+1 SPD and +1 DMG compared to previous rank), and either Careless is too high of a discount (and should be -5), or the starting point of Berserker should be -7 at Rank 1 (going to +2 at rank 2, and +11 at rank 3). At the very least Berserker per-rank cost increases should be consistent.

Of course, Careless isn't on that many champions. So perhaps the way forward is to consolidate it into Berserker or get rid of it, and get rid of the inconsistency that way. *shrug*

Note: I'm less concerned about this from a "these runes are all imbalanced" perspective than I am from a consistency perspective. As I've said in the past, I believe consistency of value (in MOST cases but certainly not all) is important, and this has likely been overlooked for quite some time.

7. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Its pretty funny and a bit silly to see someone argue so much over a theoretical problem that doesn't even exist yet.Worms are not even meta right now.Yes,further changes could make them overpowered because of necrosis but necrosis is on the watch and sok said he would deal with it when and if it became a problem.
    As someone who played worms a lot i will share my opinion/experience/ramblings:
    The loss of martyr was a big and subtle nerf for worms.The small buffs were great but they only made them slightly more efficient.I would not mind for all those small buffs to be reversed if martyr became a worm again.
    The new maps are worse for worms then the old ones,as they allow your opponent to quickly contest fonts and get into action sooner and safer,thus the pressure exerted from a mass deployment zone is lessened.I like the new maps for everything else i play,especially if its slow,but worms were definitely better in the old maps.
    Worms do very poorly against stat efficient monsters which are the staple of current meta.Worms are amazing at dealing with superchampions,heroes and anything like that but efficient low cost champions are very hard to play against with worms(which is why ST is and remains one of the most difficult matchups against worms).
    Another thing which counters worms really well is the whole large range/control/heal tactic which can simply cut down worms and prevent them from exerting any pressure.Ranged champions are rarely used in worms,the melee heavy bg can be a big problem against certain bgs.Healing and cc can also be a big issue,i know FW has most anti heal,but by the time you use tomb/tome and festering wounds you will waste few turns and spend 100 nora to counter something your opponent can wait out.Rotmaw is 5 speed and often to slow to attack the right champions.Decay is bugged and using a 50 nora spell anathema to cut down some healing is often very wasteful,unless you cast in on a angel or stitched first.

TeaScholar likes this.
  8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I agree with just about everything except this. I think the new map rotation heavily favors worms compared to the old one. Hill B was a nightmare most of the time, and while Plataeu, Dark Marsh, and Tundra can make a rough game for worms, all the other maps benefit Necrosis.

Also, yes, worms lose to high-damage, high-hp melee beaters.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Bloodfiend doesn't lose to anything. (no seriously, Firk that guy).

Pattn199 likes this.
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Distraction.

JellyBerry, Netherzen and SPiEkY like this.
  11. Netherzen

Also any kind of speed debuff as it lowers his max ap(so he doesnt get 8 ap when he uses blood fuel).

12. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

So glad this is being looked at, as a 1st-turn Salaman Rook is basically GG right there for the non-FS player.

13. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Highly doubt it going to make difference to spell charge since DC2 can still easily give over 25-35 charges within 10 turns
    compared to supercharge 2 will only give max of 20 charge in 20 turns in 2v2s

14. Netherzen

On new maps you can grab and defend fonts more easily and i can see how this seems like a benefit for worms,but since they have necrosis they dont rely that much on fonts.The ability to grab fonts more quickly and defend them also works for your enemy,thus lowering the pressure worms can apply via a massive deployment zone.For example,being able to contest/capture a font via necrosis that your opponent cant reach in 1 round(unless they have a 8 speed or a flying champion) was a big advantage of necrosis.

15. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

How to fix Anthropomancer:
    Give him Race Charged and Impatient > this will prevent he sits on the back getting charges AND will get the possibility to gain charges as he already can - note that with this I want to remove death charged/harvest organs from him

16. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Ha!

JellyBerry likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Why on earth would he get Impatient?

mw24, Ohmin, Pattn199 and 1 other person like this.
  18. HardyGames32

HardyGames32 I need me some PIE!

Rapid Attack triggers dot and reapers blade, as so is currently functioning as a basic attack. Not really a massive issue but certainly something that I would like cleared up.

Was it designed to work this way?
    Is it balanced that it works with things like soulstrike/other things that proc from basic attack?

19. HardyGames32

HardyGames32 I need me some PIE!

Dragonfear balance

20. nynevening

nynevening Member

Yes... you know, thats why I left in first place. When you "fixed" the K'thir bonus I decided to leave.
    Now this? Lets do the folowing, just trade the K'Thir bonus to another faction bonus. What about IS?