Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I agree with you,this is the death of a mechanic which made worms playable and interesting.
    RIP worms,it was a fun ride.
    I will always tresure the moment i defeated Burn with worms and bunch of NWO members made a nerf worm thread and started complaining about necrosis on crate.

2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Thanks for crediting NWO with creating my thread.

3. Netherzen

There was hospy and pede and others who joined the worm hate train on that thread and crate.

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Thats because worms are a theme with a ridiculously broken mechanic alongside things like imps. The slightest buff or even new rune can change them from being a mediocre theme to destroying the meta and I'm sorry if us catching on to to that offends you. I still stand by my statement that necrosis having very little drawback and no counter play is full on ********.

Pattn199 and SPiEkY like this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Totally fair opinion. And if that's the way most folks see it, then I guess worms are out. It's a bummer. I had fun with them for a while, but that's that.

Netherzen likes this.
  6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think there is a degree of truth in this but this is also what makes it an interesting and fun theme to play. Other themes like stitched and imps also have strong, unique, mechanics and provide a welcome change in gameplay from the standard.

Netherzen likes this.
  7. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Another option would be to have an additional ability like the old creep master (which I can't remember what did - please say if you know). I don't usually like to see mechanics complicated by multiple abilities but it would make creating a more rounded theme easier.

8. Netherzen

Old creep master was expand zone upon kill and would grant 2 def(?) and siege to all worms in deployment zone.

9. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

The issue is maintaining a realistic net gain in creep zone.

I'll write more after I see avengers tonight.

Netherzen and badgerale like this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  11. Sokolov

(Consolidated replies to one post).

12. Sokolov

It actually reduces the text slightly, as I am replacing the Athropod/Worm clause.

Balance-wise, it means that deploying champs alone no longer gives you infinite deployment zone - which I think is ridiculous. Every kill you get (even if you are behind on kills) is still permanent increase - so I am not sure how "since they tend to lose more champs than they kill in the early and mid-game -- making up for it if they achieve the deployment zone advantage" is not true even in the new version.

Current:
    When this unit is deployed from the runedock or when this unit destroys an opposing unit with a basic attack, your shrine's Deployment Zone expands by 1. When unit without race Arthropod or Worm is deployed, your shrine's Deployment Zone is reduced by 1. This effect does not increase the size of the Shrine bonus and cannot decrease the shrine's Deployment Zone below 3.

New:
    When this unit is deployed from the runedock or when this unit destroys an opposing unit with a basic attack, your shrine's Deployment Zone expands by 1. When this unit is destroyed, your shrine's Deployment Zone is reduced by 1. This effect does not increase the size of the Shrine bonus and cannot decrease the shrine's Deployment Zone below 3.

The current Necrosis already has Creep Master which gave increase in the zone with a kill. Necrosis will keep that element so every kill is still permanent deployment zone increase.

However, we could bring Creep Master back still so some "kill Worms" could double up on the increase.

Sirius and Pattn199 like this.
  13. Sokolov

Thanks for this, I will use it in some capacity.

One general comment (and this isn't directed at you specifically) is that I look at a lot of champs and a lot of costs, and it's always interesting to me what people consider "overcosted." What I tend to find is that people find the super efficient OP stuff in all of the game (from all factions) to be "good" or "decent" and then compare EVERYTHING else to that, thus almost everything is bad. Meanwhile, I am sitting there looking at dozens of champs who are all very close to each other that I consider fine.

Netherzen and Pattn199 like this.
  14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That's a competitive environment. There's acceptable, there's bad, and then there is S-tier meta dominators. If it ain't good, it's bad.

On Necrosis:

Because growth now depends upon actually succeeding in the early- and mid-game, and if you do that, why the heck do you need a win-more late-game racial?

15. Sokolov

So let's say, hypothetically, the UD racial was "+2 DMG for all champions, with an additional +2 DMG for all champions with every kill." Would you argue then, that this racial depends entirely on succeeding early? Or would you say that becomes increasing useful as the game goes on longer?

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think that's a mediocre analogy. First, to clarify, you mean that all units would gain the additional benefit per kill, and this wouldn't be a champ-by-champ basis? If so, no, it's good because it provides an immediate upfront benefit and scales at an insane rate. I think a better analogy would be "Your units gain +2 global damage for every basic attack kill, and -1 global damage for every friendly champion death." That's worse, but still better than Necrosis because +1 DMG > +1 SDZ. Necrosis provides nothing -- maybe 1-2 AP on followup deploys -- for its initial cost, and requires serious volume. Volume. If you are getting kills in volume then to hell with the SDZ. If you are trading even near 1:1 on nora and deaths with the current worm champions, play anything else and hit PBM, you're a god.

Maybe SDZ-free Bile Zombies compensate for this, but I doubt it.

Netherzen likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Well, if we want to be SUPER specific...

It'd be:

+1 DMG/SDZ on deploy (this provides upfront benefit)
    +1 DMG/SDZ on kill (this provides permanent scaling)
    -1 DMG/SDZ on death (this would always balance out the deploy portion when the champion dies)

The point is that the potential for scaling is inherent in both sets of effects. This is not being removed from Necrosis.

I see no reason why this approach means you get no benefit without winning early game.

If I deploy X champions, I get the use of X increase in SDZ until they start dying. In the meantime, I also get increase in SDZ whenever they kill something - even if they end up dying after.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

One minor point: +SDZ on deploy is a different kind of up-front benefit, because it requires some number of followup actions before it actually provides value.

I think they are very different kinds of scaling. I'm guessing the change is already through though, so just here's hoping for flat nora back on death in Coalitions and calling it a wrap.

19. Sokolov

If we want to get technical, +DMG requires followup actions of positioning, AP use (generally) and attacking. While SDZ's benefits are immediate in that the opponent has to respect and react to it, while also immediately benefits the player upon deploy of a champion.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

True, true.
    Still think worms are going to be bad after patch.