Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't disagree it's a nerf, but most of the arguments/discussions so far don't make much sense to me, such as with people suggesting adding Creep Master back when it is already part of Necrosis, etc.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I don't get the whole Creep Master deal. "If your theme isn't at common, it isn't your theme." Seems like an unnecessary addition.

I've been against the changes because Worms for me have been about inevitability -- this is the one damn chance to play something besides mid-range, actually play some control in more than having UT in a deck -- and I think the changes gut that feature, groin to sternum.

3. Sokolov

I think that it doesn't matter what it is. Permanent global increase mechanics just for deploying units shouldn't exist.

I mean, if the SDZ expanded permanently by 1 per round for the Worms player, it'd be more or less the same as what it does now. When you can replace a mechanic with something permanent and non-interactive and achieve the same result in the majority of games - it's a good indicator that it should be changed.

~

Whether or not Worms will be bad is another issue, and one that can be addressed, but I don't think their playstyle, or Necrosis, hinges solely on it being permanent on deploy - and I have yet to see a compelling argument to the contrary.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Certainly would not, absolutely not. Worms would change enormously. One of the largest tensions in playing Worms is investing in the late-game through deployment choices versus using the superior support suite to survive the current board state.

Depends upon what you consider their playstyle. For how I play and think about Worms, it does: balance resources, survive, leverage the deployment zone in end-game. Plenty of people think about Pox differently though, and enjoy different things; certainly isn't the first environment in which I'm part of an understandably small and probably smartly-sidelined minority. MTG would probably be in worse financial straights if every set was Future Sight.

Would you think they could exist at all, in any capacity?

5. Sokolov

I think there's a kernel of truth here, though from what I've seen people aren't playing to lose the early/mid-game, instead it's more common and normal to play for the win while getting an inevitable bonus.

That said, I think there's a compelling argument for the playstyle you do mention, it does sound really interesting to me - I am just not sure it's appropriate in a tactical game with deployment zones and board control elements (fonts, etc.). It's one thing to give up early game advantage for late game advantage through buffs or other longer-term pay off bonuses, it's another when you are dramatically changing the fundamentals of the game as necrosis does.

At the same time, I think your thinking is achievement and could be achieved without permanent increase on deploy, and in fact, you can still have the same "tension" with the nerfed Necrosis (tho obviously the calculations differ). Now you are wanting to leverage your deployment zones sooner, while instead of banking on deploys you may play more attrition, as every equal kill on the board benefits you long-term.

But regardless, it is uncommon that card/tactical games ever let you have permanent increases that aren't erased when the source is destroyed (except basic stuff like damage). For example, a card might say "Your spells cost 1 less <resource>" but you only get it as long as the card is in play. Doesn't mean it's not doable, but I think there are good reasons why it isn't done very much.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, I was just checking if you thought it could be done anywhere. Part of why I liked Worms was that they did have that, even if it's a risky design. It does make perfect sense that it's being changed, just a bummer.

I don't think anyone is playing to lose the early game unless you have some crazy strategy going, but Worms certainly aren't playing to win the early game, just play to live. Sometimes you do get 2x Bloodfiend with extended SDZ shenanigans on the draw into DR/Altar and can just clean up, but that's a rarity.

Yeah, that dynamic isn't going anywhere. So long as it provides a benefit for deploying sub-par champs rather than using spells, it's going to stay. The tension will be lighter after the changes, though, because deployment really doesn't matter, and spells and support runes can help pick up attack kills.

7. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

OK, first off avengers was pretty good.

Now for worms.

One thing I think is being overlooked is that SDZ is only beneficial in a few circumstances.
    When do you deploy using the expanded zone and what do you deploy?

In the early game it acts as extra ap for your 2nd deploy.
    Mid game it doesn't really come into play as most deploys are centered at the fonts not at the shrine zone, even if it is expanded by say 5. Your champs and deploy zone is already AT the font.

Late game you should have built up enough zone with the current bonus to start making tactical surprise deploys. You can't put your eggs in one basket because the creep player is often tight on nora but hi on deploy options.You have to put pressure in certain spots and basically play a two way attrition game. but attrition from a nora and position standpoint.

When playing creeps I could rack up a large zone but it becomes meaningless if I'm too far gone from a nora advantage.

With the change the late game won't be possible due to the net gain being + on basic attack kills.

There is also one main way to utterly obliterate the zone....
    Make them transfigure. zone goes poof.

SDZ will be a hard concept to balance but is a truly delightful mechanic.

The current setup may not kill worms in all honesty as it gets rid of the restriction on non-anthro/worm deploys but it does relegate it to very limited uses which looks to be intended.

Netherzen and badgerale like this.
  8. yobanchi

Basically no more deploys into combat unless its at your doorstep in which case you're losing the match anyway.
    So it becomes a what's the point kind of ability for +5 nora tacked on.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

On the flip side, more incentive to mass-drop Bile Zombie and Polluted Martyr if you do ever get any serious expansion. I hear that's a fun mechanic for the other side. (Also, if only basic attacks trigger the expansion, then bombing actually sucks.)

10. yobanchi

You'd bomb to soften them up

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That 26 damage precision chunk.

12. yobanchi

It does open up more deck building but it puts the design of necrosis champs on a different path.

No longer do you want cheap champs to cycle through to build up those sweet sweet boom deploys you now want sturdy stick around tanks that pick off enemy units.

Things like carrionling or units without ANY basic attack or finishing power become blah.
    I'm looking at you mindtheif creeper.

Also before when Necrosis was base on carrionlings (or default upgrade) any spawning ability like death spawn or propagate would effectively eat your zone alive since you wouldn't get the bonus from deploying them but they certainly eat it when they die and have necrosis.

That was a big reason why carrion colossus wasn't run and why Necrosis/creep changed.

13. Sokolov

I don't know that is overlooked, I mean, it IS the concept of the ability.

14. yobanchi

hmm.... how best to describe it...

So based on the analogy +2 dmg I think it's a bad comparison because the SDZ is only useful once it hits a threshold.

For instance you would actually be handicapping yourself by deploying at your expanded shrine deployment zone through most of the battle.

To reflect that in the analogy you'd be deploying the champion with -X dmg and getting a damage boost later on in the game after you have deployed X of that champion.

While technically what you say is true to the letter mechanically I still believe the effect is different.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Oh, yeah, also, can we get Necrosis removed from base of any champion that doesn't drop directly from the rune dock? That seems like a big deal.

16. yobanchi

Carrionling I think is the only potential one and only because it's in upgrade.

I think the death spawns have upgrades still so it would mean he sucks in necrosis bgs again although that isn't anything new with that guy.

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

So Sok, what from the 'next patch' list is going to be included in the expansion?

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

What if the current necrosis remained but only worms could be deployed in the enlarged zone?

19. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

that does absolutely nothing except remove bile zombies from the bg.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Which is actually a huge nerf. Also a major bummer, because you can't do stuff like this:

The value.