Can anyone help me open ports?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Capricis, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Capricis

Capricis Member

I've never been able to grasp port forwarding. Which is a shame, because I need to so often. This may not be the best place to ask, but would anyone here help me out?

I'm running Windows 2007.
    I am using Avast Free Edition, but I am not using its firewall.
    I'm using a Linksys E2500 router.
    I created a static IP for myself.
    To test, I disabled Windows Firewall and DMZ'd my internal IP.
    I check ports using canyouseeme.org.

With the DMZ and Windows Firewall enabled, canyouseeme says 'connection timed out.' With Windows Firewall disabled, canyouseeme says 'connection refused.' I'm so close! So my laptop is refusing the connection, yes? Or can the router still be doing this? Anyone have any ideas?

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

How are you disabling Windows firewall? If you disable the service it will continue to block some services.

What model Linksys are you using?

3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

you need to goto your router.
    And open it there

Goto network, clcik on the image of you routewr, click it again should open a webpage with your router settings.
    Find Port forwarding in there.

4. Capricis

Capricis Member

Yeah, I just go into Windows Firewall basic settings (as opposed to advanced settings) and hit 'turn off firewall' for Home/Work and Public networks.

I have a static IP assigned to my computer. I went into 'single port forwarding' menu and forwarded the port 10024 (the only port I need, I think) to the IP I assigned myself. I confirmed that was my IP in cmd ipconfig. After all these steps, going to canyouseeme.org still gave me a 'connection timed out' response. After turning on DMZ, it gives me a 'connection refused' response instead. Roar!

5. Leadrz

Unfortunely i have a netgear router so i cannot help.

This might help.
    I don't know.

6. Capricis

Capricis Member

Saw that video and had done everything in it.

All right. I think it is my laptop that is the problem and not the router, because I don't need DMZ to get the 'connection refused' status. I just need to have the port forwarding on the router and windows firewall disabled. I tried to open the port, both tcp and udp, inbound and outbound, through the advanced firewall settings but it still doesn't get 'connection refused' message unless I turn the firewall completely off.

And here's what googo says about that message: "The error means the OS of the listening socket recognized the inbound connection request but chose to intentionally reject it. Assuming an intermediate firewall is not getting in the way,... ...the listening port being connected to is not open. "

This DOES mean it's my laptop then, yeah?

I'm going to look more into the error tomorrow. Thanks for the effort guys!

7. Capricis

Capricis Member

HUZZAH!!!! The problem was I had nothing listening to the port. I learned stuff today, yay! Now I need some test monkeys...

8. Leadrz

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

What is wrong with the existing Dutch ports of Rotterdam "the port of europe" and Amsterdam "the drug port of europe" ?