Can Doom be banned from rank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoachKing, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I have limited experience but I am usually (always?) quite happy when my opponent casts Doom. I can get plenty value out of my champ whilst he is still in play. If he doesn't die whilst doomed, I can always sac or retri him. Even in non UD, I still feel like I'm up if the opponent casts Doom, without the opportunity to sac.

Even more so with Banish. I ran it for a few games a long while back but it is only worth using in VERY specific situations where taking a font will win the game. It was a very poor spell years ago, and it is shoebox now given the range of useful UD spells over the last few expansions.

2. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

no don't ban doom its fine.

3. Theoutcast

Theoutcast Member

Ban it...its lame you cant outplay someond and they just spend a few nora..sit back and your army and momentum is destroyed.

4. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

One of the many FW spells that make you want to just go play something else

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

different maps, different metas, different game

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, exactly! Great example of how environmental ships can have a large influence on a rune's perceived power, regardless of changes to the rune per se.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Except that wouldn't one think the shifts in the meta due to revamp and more recently would make Doom less valuable?

8. Compost

Not if the shift just favors the type of spell doom is. If the meta shifted from everyone spamming low cost weaker champs to everyone putting out one strong guy and buffing him through the roof, something like doom would become ridiculously strong.

Idk how "strong" it is right now in the current meta, but regardless of its strength it's always cancer.

bambino likes this.
  9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think the point Sok was making was that the shift has been away from powerful individual champs and more towards numbers.

10. Theoutcast

Theoutcast Member

Sokolov I feel like you don't even watch/play this game at all....look at the way FW and the whole game has shifted in general. 6 turns to FW is nothing these days because it can spam out tons of little crap units for nearly no cost. There for dooming another factions unit which more than likely will cost more than doom isn't a big deal. Especially if they buffed it by equip or spells. zombies, worms, spirits whatever cheese theyre happening to play can delay any units advance fairly easily. So if you're trying to make the bs philosophical argument that maybe the spell hasnt changed..but the game has....maybe you're right..maybe you buffed fw so much that their other spells seem so much stronger...

11. Compost

Yea, and it probably has. FW has so much stalling it doesn't even matter though. Zombies, those cheap stealth worms that paralyze you, cheap equips that paralyze you, champs that spawn more champs when champs die, relics that spawn more summons than my bandwidth can handle, 2 champs who summon 3 summons in 1 ability.. 6 turns is nothing

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Someone actually played a Mindthief Creeper in a real match?

13. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I use him often in worms.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I respect it, but disagree with it.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

To be fair, many of those things have largely been true in the past regarding FW. So I guess their faction flavor has been maintained despite people claiming there's no flavor? :D

Anyway, yea, it's possible from the FW player perspective the "drawback" is less relevant (though I am not convinced of that, 6 turns is never "nothing" in this game), but the fact is that in terms average enemy cost, the meta has shifted so that Doom is less valuable on that axis. There are also other things like Salaman being more equipment focused that might make Doom more valuable against that theme, but in general I think Doom is less valuable in regards to what the opponent is playing (especially if it's also FW).

I could certainly be wrong on this, but that's what I am seeing anyway.

In either case, yes, Doom has generally been a.. controversial spell.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  16. Compost

Heh, yea the flavor has been maintained, it's just an awful flavor! Licorice jelly beans have maintained their flavor over the years, doesn't mean they aren't Firking terrible.

doom is controversial because it's bullshit, regardless of its strength in the current meta it feels terrible and unfair to be doomed. It's just a dumb mechanic. That's the FW flavor. Stupid mechanics that make you want to rage quit while getting trolled by that Firking zombie moan they all make when one dies or gets deployed or something.

Fentum likes this.