Can we get impeding 2 terrain back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orubus, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Can you provide an example of this? I am interested in this in particular (more out of curiosity than anything), as I can think of very few scenarios where this would apply. What were you trying to do to reduce the AP? Most AP loss sources are pretty straight forward - they either remove AP or they don't.

~

And yes, the "effort" level is somewhat higher with Domi-Chasm, but I am not sure that is a valid argument here. And the reasoning is that no matter how much thinking you put in, the main resource that matters for balance in PoxNora is those on the board. I can't balance skill - that's what you demonstrate, but I can balance runes and mechanics. It's like with iPox decks - it takes a ton of thought and skill to think of that stuff and then play it properly - but we both would agree those kinds of decks shouldn't exist in Pox because of the type of game state that create (in another game it might be OK). In the case of KB-Chasm vs Domi-Chasm, in most cases the game resource expended vs the level of effect is largely the same,

~

Another point of discussion is Shadowshank, which you dislike - and as people who use that rune will tell you, it's not some click and drag kill - you need to be careful with that investment, and be patient with it, and wait for the right opportunity to strike (or else you need to combo it with other stuff and hope you did it right). It's actually somewhat of an interesting cat and mouse in my experience - and I have seen many Shadowshanks fail in their duty. It's also somewhat telegraphed unless it's Shadowspawn and your opponent isn't paying attention or doesn't try and find it.

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Example I was reffering to: leaving my unit on a determined "X spot" to lure my opponent, so he could spend AP to reach it => double tap or attack once => 0AP => KB into cliff.
    I failed many times on that because: A) opponent wouldnt move into X spot; B) opponent woulnt spend all the AP, which would lead to no knockback.
    Simply knockbacking 0AP units into chasm is something that really doesnt happen very often, unless the opponents makes a mistake (which I feel he should be punished for).

Regarding Shadowshank: yeah, its a "fun cat and mouse game" if you are into attrition and hour long games, which Im under the impression the majority of the playerbase isnt. Cause I mean, unless you are packing detection or anti-stealth mechanics the other player has the kill, theres no way around that (after all, we are talking about the faction with Mobi).
    I think the game would be better off if he just had assassinate and thats it.

3. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I would like to see his sprite more over him just being completely annoying to see. it's actually a cool sprite and good art

Etherielin likes this.
  4. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

I actually do not mind the cat and Mouse game of Shadow Shank. You are forfeiting dmg now for the instant kill later on. Even with mobi players using it against me have forfeited quite a bit to get the kill off. With super champs going away it is not as such high reward now. I really see a lot more strategy in place using Shadow Shank than using forbidden fruit.

KB Cliffing is really in the same boat as strategy is concerned. There is more of baiting them in strategy, instead of the cat and mouse strategy. KB cliffing should come back, to counter some of the DMZ and super hard to kill champs and or heal to full health. When KB cliffing was a threat healing champs would never had been so bold to go so far forward and expend all of their ap. Now as I see some healing is getting nerfed. I would rather see the healing stay in place while KB cliffing remained a threat and let the skills win it out.

Domi cliffing is a pretty much a guaranteed cliff dive by a decent player with click and go. One true defense to it now is iron will. (I wish shield was back to protection from spells, other factions have protection from spells )

I would not mind seeing all of it remain in place. All of them are pretty brutal, and it would balance out some of the other strategies that are over powering right now and they could remain in place.

5. Sokolov

Changing Instant-Kill to Damage is "terrible move" if it is KB-Chasm.

Changing Instant-Kill to Damage is "game would be better off" if it is Shadowshank.

6. Sokolov

Can you explain why KB-Chasm as damage is not "skill" or "strategy" but KB-Chasm as instant kill is?

Buddy system.

7. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I love how spotting a champion near a cliff and then knocking the champion into it is considered strategic.

It's only a raw benefit you get by punishing someone's mistake, giving you the advantage. I doubt there were many instances in which people knock-backed a champion into a cliff and went 'A-HA! TOTS PLANNED IT' (unless it was a dedicated deck and even then besides create chasm decks it's questionable). Maps like Shattered Peaks were always a nightmare between the limited space and the risk of possession diving. Both are drag and drop instances in most cases, les' not pretend that isn't the case.

Knock back-chasm is, albeit slightly more interactive than possdiving, very simple. Les' not glorify it.

8. Sokolov

To be fair, I think punishing opponent's mistakes is a perfectly legitimate use of an ability/effect. I mean, that's the whole point of the game, right? If both players play perfectly, it'd simply come down to raw balance - but players want to "outplay" the other, which is why we want relatively decent balance on the basic level.

The problem is that I think the "mistake" (positioning somewhere) is disproportionate to the effect of "instant-kill" especially when the player simply has to constantly assume you have Gale Force up (the primary culprit of KB-Chasm).

Additionally, reducing it from instant-kill to damage in no one means players can position willy-nilly. First, positioning is a critical part of the game regardless of KB-Chasm, and, second, since KB-Chasm still does damage, it is still dangerous. Don't tell me slamming someone into a chasm with Gale Force isn't a deterrent to positioning badly when it is used that way against other objects ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

Fundamentally, I don't see changing KB-Chasm-Instant-Kill to KB-Chasm-Damage removes strategy in any way, we are simply changing the SCALE of the impact down to something less obnoxious.

In a sense, you can even argue that it is MORE strategic.

Imagine, for a moment, that you are the player facing an enemy player who has Gale Force. You know he can cliff you if you aren't careful - so yes, you have to make some decisions, but it's largely a case of a "no go" zone around all cliffs. That's the ACTUAL result of KB-Chasm being an instant-kill. It DECREASES choice.

However, now that it is damage, you have a bit more leeway, and instead of it being largely a binary (YES/NO) in terms of where you can stand (X spaces away from a cliff), you now have a more interesting tactical decision because the result isn't so binary now. So if someone stands next to a chasm now by choice, they are entering into a risk vs reward scenario that can still be punished, but a choice that is actually viable. Changing KB-Chasm from Instant-kill to Damage INCREASES choice.

JellyBerry and Woffleet like this.
  9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

@Sokolov I think you quoted the person who agrees with you. :p

10. Sokolov

I intended to. I was using this: "It's only a raw benefit you get by punishing someone's mistake, giving you the advantage" as a starting point for what I wanted to talk about.

I don't reply just to argue/disagree with people. It's just a discussion!

Tweek516, IMAGIRL, SPiEkY and 4 others like this.
  11. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I understand the concept of capitalizing on your opponent's mistake. I've knocked champions into cliffs many times. Too many. What I'm not keen on is on the type of advantage that this interaction provided. Top players might argue otherwise as it adds a layer to the competitive environment (y'know the whole stand off thing where something like that could define the match) but I find it silly that it's thought to be any different than any insta kill method out there when the only limiting factor is the number and positions of chasms within a certain map and how much attention your opponent is not paying to his/her positioning when their champs are around them.

Realistically I have no concerns regarding the way you are proposing chasms should work as long as they don't end up being impassable terrain. I feel this -change to knockback/cliffing- also opens up design space. New relocation and opposing champion movement abilities. Just saying.

Edit: bully. But sure.

12. Sokolov

A flying theme that opens up chasms? :D

JellyBerry likes this.
  13. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Oh why not. According to everyone the world is already burning.

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

First: KB chasm have more requirements to pull off => 0 ap; the map actually having chasms. Oh wait, I forgot Shadowshank has hard requirements to be able to pull off. Le sigh
    But hey, Im assuming you are indeed nerfing shadowshank then, for "consistency" purposes, because ir will allow more options for the owner and opponent right?
    Jeez

15. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I think there should be a benefit of knocking back against a chasm over a champ/relic/wall. Like it should do more damage than normal or trigger something else like the champ only gains half ap next turn to recover from nearly falling down into the chasm?

16. Sokolov

I'd rather not introduce more arbitrary rules if possible.

JellyBerry and IMAGIRL like this.
  17. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

But we built this city on arbitrary rules :(

18. Sokolov

WE BUILT THIS CITY
    ON
    RANDOM
    RULES

19. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Maybe they are slowed or gain lumbering if they are knocked back into a chasm.