Can we get impeding 2 terrain back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orubus, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Orubus

Orubus Devotee of the Blood Owl

A lot of bg possibilities have been thrown out because there is no terrain playstyle. Rock Sand snow lava water vegetation. Why was it taken away in the first place?

Does anyone want to see this again or what is the viewpoint?

2. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

There are quite a bit of abilities that benefit champions on terrain, and there is impeding terrain still??

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

My biggest gripe with impeding terrain spam is that it is yet another advantage for ranged champs over melee. There are dozens and dozens of melee hate effects in the game but other than a few abilities primarily in UD, Righteous Deflection and Elusive there are very few Ranged hate runes and effects.

But as Pixy already said... what are you talking about there are till a ton of impeding water, snow and lava effects.

Tweek516 and Lushiris like this.
  4. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

And while you're at it give is back the old gasms, or remove them completely because being able to walk in one and not being able to get pushed into one is silly as fck.o r remove them completely!

Lushiris and Leadrz like this.
  5. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

you can get pushed into chasms if the champs has 0 AP, or did that change?

6. Orubus

Orubus Devotee of the Blood Owl

I have tried to create my old snowfall impeding bg and it failed. Impeding 1 = fail.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Hmm... this hasn't changed recently.

You can see from this old database (PoxPulse) that Snowfall was described as Impeding 1 way back then:
    http://poxpulse.com/ability/id/777

Is it possible it was Impeding 2 at one point? Yes. I don't remember honestly, but it's been at least 3 years since it was if so (before DOG).

The following things, for sure, do Impeding 2 Snow currently:
    • Snowstrike (Ability)
    • Snowbreach (Ability)
    • Snowtide (Spell)
    • Snowed In (Spell)
    So I am not sure what you mean by "impeding 2 terrain back?" What has been removed, exactly?

That said, there is a lot of inconsistency with the way they are described in descriptions (Impeding 2 Snow should be described as Deep Snow, while Impeding 1 Snow should just be Snow).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  8. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

there should be more impeding 2 terrain imo. also 2x2 champs should probably have mountainer or something to give them a chance on alot of these maps built for 1x1 units. i dont understand why they keep throwing elemental plateau back in the rotation, you cant even play a deck of 2x2s on that map. cyclops would be good if it weren't for the 5 speeds and their 2x2 size screwing them over.

9. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

They changed it without any notes.
    Personally I know people who see it as the last straw that broke the camels back.

10. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/patch-notes-spirits-beyond-midterm.22932/

Quoting from the OP:

• Change the Knockback mechanic so if a champion with no AP, when they would be knockbacked into a chasm, they take 5 DMG per Knockback square instead. It now functions like being knocked into an object.

At least remain honest about it. And I don't see how it broke the camel's back when everyone kept saying KB-chasm is dumb?

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I wish it was just like knockback into an object. The AP clause is annoying.

12. Leadrz

Thank you for the link

is is viewed as a change that removed a strategic layer that had remained in the game for a long time whilst making positioning less important.

IMAGIRL and SPiEkY like this.
  13. Etherielin

Positioning is still important as otherwise you're just eating free, DEF-ignoring, extra damage. You simply have to commit more resources instead of dropping a random KB and scoring a kill.

Also it greatly reduced ST's Gale spell's effectiveness without having to nerf the spell itself.

14. Leadrz

Yes it is still important but pre-changes it was crucial (now chasms are glorified walls that you can misclick or be Domnichasmed into) where before if left by a cliff with no ap it was fatal.

It has curbed st's gale force spell in regards to it being used to while out freshly deployed champions. While a good st players can positions units for massive damage still. Especially dealing something like 50 damage to 2x2 units if done correctly. (Will have to confirm with a mate of mine as a i don't play st and am working on memory).

15. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I've always considered the impeding "number" to be the additional AP you need to move the champion. So as I see it, the only Impeding 2 terrains in Pox are Tar and Nora Glade's Water.

But yea, Snow does confuse me a lot.

Also, I really think you should be very careful with adding more Impeding terrain. There's more Impeding terrain than people care to look for, at least in Snow's case.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  16. Etherielin

Snowstrike also is Impending 2 as it's Deep Snow though.

17. Sokolov

But Impeding 2 Snow (such as the one from Snowstrike), does add +2 AP to the movement?

I am not sure what you are saying.

Yep. Tho the Impeding 2 and 1 Snow (like the Water) does bear a problem since you can't tell which is which visually.

18. Sokolov

Certain people liked it, but they are in the minority. Cliff-diving in general is probably in the Top 3 of most complained about mechanics in PoxNora - it's why most maps in the rotation either have no cliffs now or only have them in strategically less important locations.

Qucas, Tweek516, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  19. Sokolov

The AP clause is a remnant of the previous attempt to curb the problem, and will be removed down the line.

Possession will also lose its ability to cliff dive at some point, and Chasms will likely just function as "walls/objects" at that point.

Then, we can improve Possession mechanics.

Qucas and darklord48 like this.
  20. Sokolov

That will likely happen as the fix to Possession diving. Chasms will simply be inaccessible.

Qucas and Leadrz like this.