Carouse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baskitkase, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

@Gedden I would like to know what your vision for this ability is. I'm quite confused when I look at what you've done with this ability, precisely, where you've put it.

It was the dwarven racial. It was removed from nearly every champ, and changed.

It's a reusable equipment that either gives a pale brew or refreshes an equiped brew.

Seems really great.

But that all falls away when you realize that there is really only 1.5 champs that you can realistically play with Carouse.

Correct me if I'm wrong but its available to the following champions:
    • Brewmaster - On base
    • Euan - On upgrade, competes with Block2 and Surge: Enemy
    • Brubaker Brothers - On upgrade, competes with Block2 and Sibling
    • High Mason - On upgrade, competes with Recycle and Forge Hammer
    • Northern Cross Militia - On upgrade, competes with Restraining Aura, Enlightened
    Now, other than Brewmaster, lets break those down:

Euan - thats a huge request to ask Euan to forgo either of those two superior upgrades, so you're forced to take an upgrade you'd rather not to use an ability in its theme (drunk). Not a huge issue on Euan, I'm thinking it would just not be taken, even if he's used in a drunk theme (which he doesn't seem to be part of).

Brubaker Brothers - Siblings without taking the sibling ability? Yeah, not going to happen. I'm thinking sibling should be on base switched with blessed.

High Mason - Well this champ is not worth running, but if he was, thats competitive with the upgrades in line with it. Problem is, no one in their right mind would run this champion.

Northern Cross Militia - a fairly good option and probably the best 2nd option behind Brewmaster when you consider the upgrades that it competes with. Obviously you'd hate the loss of Restraining Aura, but the trade-off, in a drunk theme, is acceptable. He garners the 0.5 usability rating simply because he's a really lackluster champ. He's hitting the ground at 67 nora with Carouse and Antagonize (how I'd run him in theme) at about 7 nora overcost having only two other abilities: Attack and Enduring (great ability, but requires problematic AOE2 spacing).

Recommendations:

Flesh out the theme a bit, quickly, with the addition of Carouse on base for some of the obvious choices:

I'm going to rate them 1, 2 or 3 tier, 1st tier being the most obvious:

1st Tier:
    Ironfist Brawler: -Fearless, +Carouse, +3 nora to 78
    Drunken Thug: ->Invul Phsy to upgrade line 1 (or removed), +Carouse base, +4 nora 53

2nd Tier:
    Battle Matron: Read that flavor text! She's a beast of a woman, as any dwarf woman is. -Impart from upgrades, + Carouse with associated cost.
    Sharpshooter: Read that flavor text! -Hinder Movement, Detection to rank 1, add Carouse Base, +0-2 nora.

3rd Tier:
    Dwarven Alchemist: Partially because the theme needs ranged: -Grant Frost trap upgrade, Add Carouse, recost the upgrade accordingly.
    Roughneck: He's a drinker, no doubt. -Enrage Rank 1, -Enrage rank 2 from ups, + Hostile, + Carouse to ups

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

THIS is what feedback is supposed to look like!

+1

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

4. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

I dont think there is anything for me to add, thats exactly what i was talking about lol. Im not an expert on dwarfs so im not sure i have the right to input what champs SHOULD get it. I do understand that the ability is quite powerful since there are now champs like ironfist collector who have both provision and equipment boon. If it were to be added to other dwarfs and remain with its current set up, it would have to be added very strategically on 3 or 4 champs where the ability wouldnt compete with any other core ability. Maybe add a relic similar to rallying flag that equips a champion when deployed within 3 spaces with a pale brew, that could be interesting to use offensively too haha. Could be some sort of dwarven pub.

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I like these proposed changes.

6. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Windfury wanna join the party for sure

7. scrampy

scrampy I need me some PIE!

I like it. Gives dwarves an interesting theme other than the boost, surge, commander, swarm spam going around. Slightly off topic, but couldn't someone choose carouse on Euan to get a cheaper Euan (Same with the others you listed)? I do not own any of those champs so I do not know how significantly the nora cost would change but I thought that was the real reason behind having carouse compete with those obviously better abilities

8. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Caure is +6 from battle leader so...

9. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

signed

10. scrampy

That is what I wanted to know. Carouse should give Euan his cheapest build. Especially if they won't be making carouse more of a widespread ability.

11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I might use Euan in the BG (Or any otger BG) but Id not take carouse on him regardless. He just doesn't seem like a drunkard type so I can't really recommend it on base and it isn't exactly a hero-level upgrade.

12. GabrielQ

I'll quote Euan for you baskit:
    "This IS the savage tundra, drinking is the only thing keeping me warm" Euan Ironfist telling a minister that invisible airbone garus don't exist.

13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Great work. All dwarves drink. I'm looking for a specific affinity to being/getting drunk and royalty doesn't fit the bill in my own opinion.

14. GabrielQ

guy didn't want to defend the pass because he was drinking!

scrampy likes this.
  15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So play a crippled Euan by choosing that upgrade. Fits perfectly into the way you see it.

16. EnigmaXIII

Yeah carouse is a expensive upgrade, although i dont find it tooo surprising considering its 0 cd. Currently i run 2 militias and brewmaster with carouse, and that seems to be plenty. my first turn with militia i carouse 2 champs and itself usually lol, then im good most of the time.

17. scrampy

I don't think he was telling anyone to use that upgrade on Euan. He was just saying he most certainly is the drunkard type. I just talked it over with someone who owns Euan and I am shocked that carouse has the same cost as surge enemy and block 2. It should make him 4-6 nora cheaper imo.

GabrielQ likes this.
  18. EnigmaXIII

if your wondering about upgrade costs btw, poxbase has all of them up :) even if u dont own the champ and were curious just thought it was worth mentioning

scrampy likes this.
  19. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

This is IS bro... We don't get good options only one way or the highway... tis the IS way.

Anyways, I can't believe Brewmaster isn't a brute

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014