Changing the face of Poxnora "Grunewald's Doctrine"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gust Gord, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

My idea is to give this game a "balance update" so to speak. Exotics/Legendary/LE runes are set to be last in your rune deck when you draw during a game (this only includes champions). Over the course of many games during my time, people have obviously been getting good draws, which overpower your opponent. That's why we should negate the good draws with common/uncommon/rares.

To further balance the draws we should make it so players automatically get three champions at the start of their turn to choose from. This adds variety rather than just being stuck with whatever. This is also good for decks with 5 speed champs.

All rune reveal relics/abilities will likely have to be changed to something else. Scry is another issue. I mean if shrines couldn't scry they would have more health, which would discourage shrine rushes as well as further pushing for more strategical play. Not saying shrine rushing is not strategical; trust me it is, but it can be quite lame at times.

So my goal is to discourage font rushing and encourage better rune placement, as well as adding better, longer, more decent games. Their really is no reason not to test this idea. Yes it has holes, but any hole can be filled. Let me know if you like this idea, and I can explain "Grunewald's Doctrine" more in detail.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  2. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

New meta; put one common with 7/8 speed and flight and make the rest of your deck spells and Le/exo/legendarys.

sharang2 and Goyo like this.
  3. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Wait, someone actually bothered to read that wall...?

4. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

I read the first sentance.

5. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

Ya mb I was using google chrome and it was screwing up so I downloaded firefox and it came out better

6. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

I did too, i like to hear peoples thoughts.

OchiK likes this.
  7. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Well bro, it is a terrible idea because Poxnora has too many different runes, and power isnt 100% dictated by rarity. So it would just create another balancing problem, except it would be related to C/Uc/R draw wins.

Our best bet is nerfing the motherfirking OP champions in a sensible way.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As with most such suggestions that pop up in general:

Neat idea. Not suited for Pox.

Woffleet and Leadrz like this.
  9. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Not gonna work. Most metas have ample enough of OP c/un/r champs.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Rarity =/= power. There are some exotics and legendaries that aren't that great except in specific situations. There are some commons that are great no matter when they're played. Also ensuring a certain number of champs drawn first hand will bring back the solitary bg's that were a pain in the rear.

11. Gust Gord

Gust Gord Member

You guys aren't understanding. For quite a few turns common/uncommon/rares will be played. No exotics no Legendary. The games will be longer, more intense, and more fun. This idea needs to be tested and you will see light.

12. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Theres plenty of reasons as to why we shouldn't test this idea. The main being the fact that this idea causes more problems than it would fix.

OchiK and DarkJello like this.
  13. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Many, perchance most, players will run whatever is the best. They do NOT care about the rarity of the rune. As immortalized by Nacho Libre, they "wanna wEEEEEEEEN!!!" Moving closer to balance is the only goal more important than releasing new expansions, IMO of course. So forcing peeps to deploy lower rarity stuff does not accomplish that goal. Longer does not = better. Games will not automatically be more intense or fun with that change either. Why? Cause the vets will continue to use any and every method to eat face and kick tail. This is a virtual game of fantasy warfare, so that is the nature of the beast. I don't like getting taken behind the wood shed and flogged, but that is the game. Kudos for trying.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Appreciate the idea, but it would not have the influence you suggest. Im not a fan of restrictive policies.

Dagda likes this.
  15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the tl;dr of what i'm gonna say is what baskit said. if you feel like completely skipping the rest of this post, just read his again and you're pretty much set

first, every rarity bracket has its highs and lows. there's no real merit in restricting early deploys one way or another, in many cases it wouldn't be noticeable (or advantageous to deploy the higher rarity)

second, we used to get a guaranteed champion in the first however many draws. i forget. it mostly was irrelevant, good deckbuilding gives you a champ anyhow 95+% of the time. the main use for it was trick and rushdecks. also, i don't particularly see this enabling 5 speeds. if anything, if i know i'm always going to have a champion, packing in more high speed options would seemingly make more sense. of course, to my mind, more high speed options always makes more sense

third, it feels like you're trying to help, which is good. i don't agree that your proposal would bring about positive change for the main competitive arena, but it could be interesting to see some variant of it introduced as an alternate game mode eventually. the main issue with that, of course, is that it's likely a decent amount of work to put in for something, on top of all the other things needing done, that's little more than a curio

perfect world, there's no problem there. but we're far from a perfect world.

16. sharang2

sharang2 The King of Potatoes

I have a couple issues with your post that I feel come from some deep misunderstandings on your behalf.

Rarity has nothing to do with power. SL will always attempt to deploy Maulers first. KF has falconers. UD has Warogg. IS has Scarlet Johannesonwing. FW actually PREFERS to play one of its best units, Dead Fairy, later in the game when it can ambush something with Initiative. Rarity not only has nothing to do with power, it also has pretty much nothing to do with sequencing. None of these champions are R/E/Li/Leg. A prohibition on playing your e/lim/le in the first few turns of the game reduces the complexity of deckbuilding.

3 guaranteed reveals....
    Mauler, Mauler, Krikkinwing Alpha, the Doc, 2 Transmission Relay, 24 spells, relics, and equips to support the fact that you're playing the perfect SL open every single game. Decks like this would happen, they'd be pretty abusive, and I don't see that helping the game or balance at all.
    In other words, you get three guaranteed champ reveals? Someone's going to abuse that. It allows you to build a deck that's overall a bad deck that leans on the autoreveal crutch that you propose.

Basically, on both levels, your proposed changes would prop up trick decks and encourage a decrease in how robust your deck is because you can lean on your fixed draws. The point of randomness in a game is to add some level of surprise.

17. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

So far, only the Dev have had the abbility to bring something remotely close to balance to this game. And many times in the past they have done it right; and some others were screw ups. That is coming from a person whose work is to watch over this game, find out what is missing and what is not working. What makes you think that your "genius" ideas will bring balance to the game when once analyzed, they ignore a lot of things, like the fact that a combo using 2-3 uncommons can easily obliterate an entire army.

No kudos for trying. I were you, I did ask for more OP´d commons and uncommons so to speak.

18. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Now that was just plain mean. Hug and apologize please. ;) Good day to you sir.