CIA says Russia influenced US election to help Trump win

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that would be lying which is frowned upon? only in civilized circles I guess based on above.

why have these hackers not leaked the republican emails?

BurnPyro likes this.
  2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

If the contents of the emails are true, than the Democrats have absolutely no problem with lying or manipulating information.

There are a couple possibilities:

1. They never got access. RNC security might have been better, or they might not have tried to in the first place (which potentially connects to 3).

2. They got access but didn't find anything they considered worth leaking. It's worth noting that Trump is known to not use email much if at all, he tends to prefer Twitter for some god forsaken reason, and, as such, his idiocy is already broadcast for everyone, though this does not account for campaign staff. But it's possible they didn't find anything particularly noteworthy even from them.

3. They prefer to follow Nixon's example and fully intended to use the material to sway the election, and thus saw no benefit to also hacking the RNC

4. They plan to hack the RNC but prioritized the DNC during this election for whatever reason.

However, I don't think this is a particularly important question, to be entirely honest.

One other thing to consider is. "Was this to help Trump?" Or "Was this merely to take down Clinton and/or Podesta?" Much as Trump might be hated or reviled by many, it was noted before that Clinton already had particularly low popularity. Not only that, but many have felt that the FBI and DOJ not pressing charges concerning her private email server was indicative of government corruption. It could well be that they were targeted to try and ferret out that perceived corruption. While Trump might be viewed as a crooked business man of sorts, for some, it's not on the same level as the Clintons.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note that the FBI doesn't deny that Russians hacked the DNC, they disagree on the goals and whether the government was behind it. Additionally, the FBI is more concerned, traditionally, about being able to prove things in court and who they can go after legally, while the CIA is typically looking at the weight of evidence and how confident they are of an assessment before making it.

According to an FBI official: "there’s no question that [the Russians’] efforts went one way, but it’s not clear that they have a specific goal or mix of related goals."

So I don't see, in any way, their disagreement as evidence of "an internal intelligence leak." That seems a pretty... liberal reading of the words.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It would seem extremely premature, based on what the public knows, at least, for there to be any talk of war - so I don't think anyone is calling for that, nor does anyone would expect that.

The issue for me is that here is what should the response of the US be, and in particular what the response of Trump should be.

It seems prudent that if the CIA and FBI both agree that hacking occurred, that the President Elect doesn't go around basically saying that the US intelligence community doesn't know what it is talking about. That seems disrespectful at least. Of course, this goes in line with Trump not attending intelligence briefings regularly.

I am not sure what Trump and co gains by, for example, Conway calling the assessment "laughable and ridiculous."

It just seems like he isn't taking this seriously, and while I was on the side of "Trump can't do much harm..." this kind of behavior DOES concern me because he is actively turning his back on intelligence and advice.

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

That wasn't clear to me in your posting, which was largely what I was operating off of in my response.

6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

we will see how seriously the left takes this after the electors vote and its too late to try and stop Trump from being president.

oh yes we will see. and I wont let you forget this thread. I will ask every day, where is all the left outrage about Russian hacking? Where is it? hmmm?

The great thing about the left is that their hypocrisy is coupled with extreme short sightedness.

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

This is a bit of a separate issue, but war with Russia has/had been much, much closer than people realize. Whether people should have been expecting it or not. Both Russia, and some military officials (mostly in the UK and EU) have been talking about the possibility of war (though how much is propaganda or mere posturing is questionable). The administration had stated they would consider cyber attacks to be an act of war. And several troops and ships have been repositioned seemingly in preparation for possible conflict.

Indeed, as you'll no doubt recall, one of the possible reasons for Russia to support Trump, or at least undercut Hillary, is to (in theory) ease tensions between the two nations. While this incident alone might not be enough, I don't think it's premature to discuss such things given the broader context.

Certainly, there have been people calling for it, or at least expecting it.

Granted, it's been in foreign (especially Russian) papers far more than US papers.

In theory it could be to counter the effects I mentioned before. To reduce tension with Russia, to side-line efforts to censor "fake news" (which were obviously helpful to Trump), and to diffuse further excuses to overturn the election.

Not even attending the briefings bothers the heck out of me as well. I may be highly skeptical of the CIA these days, but ignoring them entirely is not a good thing by any means.

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  8. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

I thought the DNC leaks were from Seth rich?

Also the narrative here seems to be more about "don't talk about what's in the leak" as opposed to a legitimate claim of evidence.

But! It serves several purposes, a lot of the news watchers are of the age where they grew up in McCarthyism and it won't be hard for some/many to blindly blame Russia. This also calls into question americas cyber security. Which don't worry congress will solve with this new cyber patriot act.

So aside from the obvious diversion, it can be used as a platform for new legislation (based off lies), or a new war (based off lies), and if we are really lucky, a change in the voting process.

Is the propaganda getting worse?

super71 and DarkJello like this.
  9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Wikileaks claims that the DNC leaks were just that, a leak, rather than a hack, but, last I heard, the CIA and FBI also found evidence of hacking, so they're investigating that still.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It's also possible that the source that gave the emails to Wikileaks is different from the source of the hacks as well. That is, there was a hack on the DNC but also, acting separately, a leak from within. Either way investigation should be the correct course of action, provided it's a fair one and not compromised by political interference.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

WH press briefing from yesterday, covers multiple issues including this and contextual issues:

DarkJello likes this.
  12. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

DarkJello likes this.
  13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

*sigh*

Really?

Let's just blame Russia for everything now I guess.

super71 and DarkJello like this.
  14. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Let's not forget that John Podesta's email password was P@ssword.

It wasn't Russians that got wikileaks the Podesta files, that was a particular area over on that Sri Lankan Cave Painting message board.

DarkJello likes this.
  16. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

"P@ssword" is so present day. LMBunsO.

17. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Everything is coming to a boiling point, I'm hoping i'm wrong but a Hilary Clinton win seems to be in the making and on the table still. A Hilary Clinton win would divide the country even more than it has now, would immediately put us at war with Russia. A Hilary Clinton win would also solidify what most Americans already know, the voice of the people no longer means anything.

Some people will say that Hilary won the populate vote and i'll note how millions of illegals and dead people voted and most likely Trump also won the popular vote.

Europe will be influenced heavily as the majority are allies to the United States and will also go to war to fuel the Clinton machine, at this point most of you will be begging for that Trump presidency.

18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

there's a lot of ridiculousness here, but let's just go with this-
    what the actual Bane Shift

NevrGonaGivUup and BurnPyro like this.
  19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Which part seems ridiculous ? Fact is their are over 10 million illegal immigrants in the United States, fact that the majority didn't like Trump for his tough stances on immigration reform.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1461

"Existing law makes it a crime for a person to willfully cause, procure, or allow himself or herself or any other person to be registered as a voter, knowing that he or she or that other person is not entitled to registration. Existing law also makes it a crime to fraudulently vote or attempt to vote.
    This bill would provide that if a person who is ineligible to vote becomes registered to vote by operation of the California New Motor Voter Program in the absence of a violation by that person of the crime described above, that person’s registration shall be presumed to have been effected with official authorization and not the fault of that person. The bill would also provide that if a person who is ineligible to vote becomes registered to vote by operation of this program, and that person votes or attempts to vote in an election held after the effective date of the person’s registration, that person shall be presumed to have acted with official authorization and is not guilty of fraudulently voting or attempting to vote, unless that person willfully votes or attempts to vote knowing that he or she is not entitled to vote.
    This bill would also make conforming changes."

A lot of legal nonsense in there but it gets the point across I hope, also note that Hilary seems to have won the popular vote where this was passed, it's not a coincidence. It was passed in october last year just in time =).

(2) The affidavit is submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles or accepted by any other public agency designated as a voter registration agency pursuant to the federal National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (52 U.S.C. 20501 et seq.) on or before the 15th day prior to the election.

It goes on and on and on, the bottom line is this passed October last year this allowed illegals to vote in California.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

except that doesn't make it legal to vote as a non-citizen, it just makes punishment less harsh. similar, but not the same.

also, pretty sure the democrats have been winning cali for decades regardless- i doubt that, if there *was* any sort of voter fraud, it would've changed much in terms of CA results.

BurnPyro likes this.