Cooking Class 1: Easy pot of chili

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Baskitkase, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

One of my hobbies is cooking. I love cooking gormet but I also like cooking easy stuff. I've been a bachelor once apon a time as well. Figured I'd just toss out some recipes as I think of them. See if anyone likes the idea, if so I'll do more.

I have an award winning pot of chili, takes about 8 hours to make. I have another one that takes about 30-40 minutes and is nearly as good.

Ingreds:

2 lb ground beef
    2 15 oz cans pinto beans
    1 7 oz can of chiplotle peppers in adobo sauce - this is the star ingredient
    1/2 yellow onion (or a small one)
    1 green bell pepper
    tbs. butter
    minced garlic (you can use fresh garlic if you know how to peel/chop, or even garlic powder)
    1 large can (35 oz i think) of tomato sauce
    a couple squits of ketchup
    salt
    black pepper

You can buy all this stuff at the market for under 10 bux in Texas, not sure how beef is priced where you are.

Directions:

Put the ground beef in a sauce pan, brown it by chopping it up with a spoon of some sort. I use a flat ended wooden spoon/spatula thing. There will be water in the pan once it starts to brown. You can tip the pan up a bit and scoot all the beef to the high ground and then soak up all the water with paper towels or you can drain the beef in a colander/strainer (the bowl with holes in it).

In another pan, or while the beef is straining, put a dab of butter in the pan and put it on medium heat. Dice up your onion and your bell pepper and toss it in the melted butter. Give it a toss/stir and let the veggies start sauteeing. When the onions start to look see-through toss in the garlic. If you overcook garlic it turns bitter, and it will get to do its work inthe chili

Next open up that can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce and pull out about 4 of them. If you want to reduce the spiciness of the chili, scrape out the pepper seeds as best you can. I dont. Chop them babies up, they'll be squishy so just chop them up small. Sometimes theres a pepper stem in the can, if you find one throw it out.

Next remove the rest of the peppers from the can and dump the a little adobo sauce in your sauteeing vegis, the rest will go in the chili. If you taste it its kinda like ketchup with chili powder but better.

Put the beef back on the medium heat, add the rest of the adobo sauce and chipotle peppers, add onions and bell pepper to the pan.

Open the cans of pinto beans, but all of one, then drain the 2nd can and put about half of that one in there. So yeah, been juice from one can, but not from the half can. Squirt about twice as much ketchup as you'd put on a burger (4 packets or so). Put in the tomato sauce. Take a bit of water and swish it around in the adobo sauce and then in the tomato sauce can (about 1/2 or less can of water) and put that in the chili.

Reduce the heat to low/medium and let it simmer.

You might want to cover the pan slightly but dont put a lid on it. You want it to "reduce" (which mean's water go out) so that it thickens. This process also melds and intensifies flavor.

Add salt and pepper to taste. The adobo sauce is kinda sweet, so is the ketchup and the tomato sauce is very very bland (as far as seasoning goes), so I'd start out with about 2 tsp of salt, then let it cook some, taste it. If it's too sweet, add some more. Just remember: you can always add salt, you cannot take salt away.

This is alot of words, but it's really very simple.

I can make anything, if anyone has any requests.

SaintKiwi, st3ck, Dagda and 2 others like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

this boy jealous of #molo

3. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I know how to make a bowl of cereal

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Love cooking, don't get around to do it a lot since my dad is a fanatic and does it all himself.

Great stuff though.

Baskitkase likes this.
  5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I don't know what to make of gormet, so I'm just going to shuffle away

6. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

gormet is gourmet texan cooking.

also, i'm going to give this a shot here in a few days or maybe a week or so, but i'm going to try it and report back.

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I typed that whole thing on my Galaxy, cut me some slack. But I agree, you should go away.

Dagda likes this.
  8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Awesome. Just stir it every couple of minutes to ensure its not sticking. Once you have the ingreds all in you can turn the heat down alot. You're just cooking the juices out of it. When it goes from soupy to chili consistency, you're done. Taste repeatedly for salt check.

SaintKiwi and Dagda like this.
  9. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

It's chili in here.

Sorry, couldn't resist.... ;)