Cost of abilities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sepulcher, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

Alright, I'm assuming that there was some sort of system put in place where abilities cost X amount and that added up to the total cost of the rune, etc.

Could we uh, see these calculations? Because a lot of this is not adding up for me, at all.

Take our old pal Skywing Eminent, for example. He was 90 Nora beforehand (unless I'm gravely mistaken). He lost Majestic. He lost Evasive. He lost Cast: Antimagic Field. And he is somehow still 90 Nora, even though now all he has is Charged Blast, Rebuke and Abuse Charged.

Take another example: Resilient Skeezick. One of his upgrades is Skeezick Alliance - or you can choose Loyalty instead and receive a 2 nora discount. Wait, what? Loyalty costs less than Skeezick Alliance for +7 net stats...?

Struggling to understand how these new costs were determined. Maybe a new thread wasn't necessary, if so I apologize, but I'm just trying to grasp some of these outrageously priced champions.

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

well, there's a calculator for the raw stats, right. you put in that a champ has, say, 40 dmg, defense, spd, range, and hp, you get an absurd number for nora back out

then you start tacking on abilities. each ability costs some number or another. so add those numbers on. i think there was a plan in the works to make some basics cost more than others based on availability/perceived strength, but i don't think that went through

so now you've got the rough cost, stats+abilities. that's then modified manually by the devs, basically however they see fit (based on the kit and balance and so on). a lot of the newer runes evidently had decently large manual subtractions, as well as a lot of things with higher hp totals. i'd be willing to bet that their manual minuses have gone down since the revamp.

3. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Guys was there an original formula for costing champions? Did SOE throw it out the window? Are we now getting a taste of how things should have properly been calculated for cost?

Morfeas likes this.
  4. dbouya

dbouya I need me some PIE!

basically yes? there was originally a formula before sony took over. after sony took over there may have been a formula of some sort but designers were also free to just throw eighteen zillion free bonus abilities on any legendary/limited they wanted :p

5. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

If you look in some of the older previews, you can see them. The current system was made to make it slightly easier/more logical for us to calculate the nora cost differentials.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'm not really the guy for this, but as i understand it, no. there's always been a formula. it has never been strictly adhered to. some eras and developers just strayed a bit further off than others. there were a lot of factors that went into it.

hopefully sok pops in to illuminate the public, since he's a general font of wisdom, but if not then just know that the developers not sticking to the formula is *part of the formula*

7. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Pretty much.

Actually, Sokolov tried to do a mini-revamp once, and he came with his own system. One example was one of the strigs which on the meta was like 80n or 90n, and according to his new system would cost around 120n. Obviously, he didn't costed like that, just nerfed it a bit. So, yeah, almost the same principle that guide Sokolov back then, but in this big revamp the devs went full hardcore.

8. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

With that said do you guys think it would help if DOG prepared some kind of flow chart comparing the champs/ability cost generated by SOE to their proper cost under DOG? It might help some of these newer players understand that their favorite champions were costed improperly.

9. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

They didn't do something right i am currently looking at a vashal quillback with dodge 2, block 2, and deflect with damage shield physical 3 for 71 nora.

Morfeas likes this.
  10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i wouldn't say that the champions were priced improperly. just differently. it's up to the design/balance team to decide where the bar is set. there was pretty clearly a large difference of opinion between the SOE bunch and the DOG, which suggests that SOE was something of a constraint in the end (to me, anyhow)

but yeah. people just need to get used to things being the way they are, i think, and work from there

11. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Nah.

Way before SoE, we were full aware of the cost for each ability (flight, 12n), and pretty much each discussion went like "flight for 12n is bad because...", with one side telling it was too expensive for too little advantage, and the other (mostly IS), telling it was OP because flight ignored a ton of runes and abilities related to terrain. People in this game will argue over anything, and revealing the full price for each ability only fuels that kind of threads. Rather than arguing over if this angel or that doomball were OP, we would have 3 threads arguing over the price of flight, doom and intensify, along with the 2 previous threads.

Also, anyone who wasn't blinded by that developer's fireworks was full aware of how nuts or plainly inexistent was the costing for most champions released during that age.