Could we get the current meta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darklord48, Mar 24, 2014.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I remember in the past we would get a list of the current meta for the top 20 or top 50 players. Could we get that again please? I would like to see what runes are in the top decks again. I believe this was done back when Octopi was in charge, and was a great way for us to see that there were decks in the top tier that didn't require a ton of exotics, or as the current concern would be, legendaries and limited.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It was top200. While I like looking at it I really dislike how its a snapshot of a single instant. I wish the could set this up to autopull once a week so we could trust the data a bit more.

There are such strong conclusions drawn from them which in turn encourages discussion which leads to balance changes.

I'm an analyst at heart, me lub many samples.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I did try once to look at the data across multiple days for a couple of weeks. The variations were pretty minor.

4. Sokolov

They were not done at a specific time. I just got them in my inbox around end of the day, typically, if they didn't get there by then, I'd ask.

I never ran the queries myself.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Variations from a time spot on a continuum form a chronological array that is most useful in a) denoting anomalies and b) trend analysis (requires many samples). I would not think it would be useful to compare random points against each other, in most cases, unless the groupings are composed of many samples (ie, we had 100k players and pulled 2k samples to make the report), given the amount of runes that are available vs the amount of players we have.

6. Sokolov

Yea, it's largely why I didn't pursue it further. There was no easy way to make it useful. It'd been better to spend the resources (if we had any) on building ACTUAL tracking (for which there was, at one point, documentation that I had written).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Well I'd only think it would be worth it if the data compilation was automated and systematic, then the data made available in some raw form. We've got folks here who are capable of making good use of it as are the dev teams.

8. only

only Active Member

I'm not sure how useful they are in general, but when I started poxnora, these meta reports were given monthly. it was always interesting read despite some inaccuracies they were bring along with them.

to put it simple, I value them more as a community event more than data for analysis.

9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I think that a proper meta report is neccessary for a easier access to the PvP aspect of the game, because it essentialy shrinks the rune pool to actually used runes and that makes the whole game less overwhelming.

10. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

I liked the reports, it at least showed trends even if not perfect. I understand why some people didn't like them due to competitive reasons but I thought it was always nice to see what people were playing.