Crystal Dragon - OP or Just Strong?

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Pipster, Aug 7, 2014.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I'm more interested in the ability itself rather then the champs it's on in this case. I would not put this ability on any champ I designed because it would easily break the champ.

reign it in and maybe we can spread it around a bit more.

as for the champ itself, if it turned out to be unplayable after, I could make it the focus of a future change.

at current it's just a generic tank anyway the interesting part being catalyst and fascinate. he is one of the better crystal champs atm, but how much of that is this ability.

Goyo and Entrepidus like this.
  2. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

In my eyes, we're not "nerfing" Crystal Dragon. We're noticing that the Flame/Frost Armor abilities are a tad too efficient and suggesting it, specifically, be changed.

EDIT: Somehow it didn't show calisk's message until after I posted mine :*(

3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

4. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Good question, imo it's a meta rune and I'm surprised that it got buffed with flame shield. Territorial can be quite insane tbh. I wouldn't oppose nerfing it if people had more troubles to deal with it. But it seems, they don't - since the buff has so short duration and requires the enemy to put out champions at the right spots (reactive instead of proactive).

But I think if you made a thread to nerf that I wouldn't oppose nerfing flame/frost armour because +4 defence anytime you want is pretty damn strong.

Actually, 6-8-10 nora is pretty bad. It's a terrible scaling, and damage shields shouldn't scale in 2 nora increments. Leaving it at rank 1 is pretty much always optimal. The only time i would even consider putting it at rank 3 was if the champion attacking would take extra damage from another abillity... oh wait.

Still, I would rather see it at 7-8-9, or just remove the ranks since they add so little and make it deal 3 ice/fire damage.

Edit: Actually I just looked at catalyst nora price. Now, that is cheap.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  5. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I already weighed in :)

I'll elaborate by saying that doing so may justify a change in cost, but I consider this the simplest change to make without making significant changes to Crystal Dragon.

Simple is usually best, IMO.

Goyo likes this.
  6. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I don't mind this as long as there is a cost reduction as stated, but this is not exactly high in priority ranking IMO.

7. KingJad

Oh btw if we're talking about op abilities scythe whirl is definitely on that list

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It's not presently a large issue but I can see Catalyst: Frost becoming a problem if it isn't changed to procing only off basic attacks. @Molosse and I spent 30 min or so trying to break it and put together a decent core rune list for a split with FS.

Dragons x2
    Poisonous Fumes
    Calming Tailwind
    Arcadon
    Frost Crystal
    Various units with rank 1 aura like Nokhan Apprentice

Basically you drop poison clouds and run frost dragon through them. Each proc of poison cloud sets off Catalyst. I was able to destroy his whole army just by dropping a poison cloud and walking back and forth.

9. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

^ Lol.

Edit: to elaborate - so you were playing a non ranked game, with an oponent that deliberately let you build up all the set up it needed for the condition to be achieved, not giving feedback on what the "entire army" consists of (could be a bunch of moga all restricted to one area), to say it "might" become a problem? Yeah Markoth, I think you lost it bud. Pull that in ranked sucessfully and report back. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. KingJad

There goes dem boggies making ST look op then asking for buffs I knew I couldn't trust creatures that live in dirty water...

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I didn't call it OP and specifically stated that it wasn't a large issue. Just potentially problematic. Dropping a poison cloud spell next to a rune and walking around isn't exactly difficult to accomplish. I'm not looking to nerf your stuff just saying to keep an open mind. It's dang easy to damage your own unit and odd that you can trigger a pseudo-spell by dealing 1-2 damage to your own unit.

As for the "Army" it was 5 60ish HP with tough Wings. We were playing the game as a normal match.

I'm not out to get you mate. Just participating in discussion.

12. Pedeguerra

I know you are not, but this seemed like such a stretch that I have to question if you are really aware of what are Pox priorities, man.
    I wont be bashing you anymore, but I would really like you, as a council member, to focus on stuff that matters, rather than crap people would use with sucess only in rare league, maybe.
    Instead of spending 30 min "trying to break it" you could be engaged on watching/playing things that are way, way more relevant than this.

13. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I've tested it FF ST a week ago and there is not easy way to accomplish it. It requires 1 relic and 1 spell and it's a trade of 5 for 6 damage.

Nerfing Catalyst because of splits would destroy inner faction synergy like procing it with Aura lvl1 (2 for 6 dmg, one instance per round).

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Yeah. In faction ST doesn't seem to have many ways of "self proccing" it. Reason we went with FS for the test (We wanted to use barb vine leash but you can't self equip it) is cloud is just 3 damage per proc and you can stack them for multiple procs per AP. You have to realize though it isn't 5 for 6 damage or 2 for 6 damage usually as it is a fairly large sized AoE if you are hitting 2-3 enemies it's 5 for 12-18 or 2 for 12-18 with the damage going up from there for every enemy in range.

15. Beasts for life

Beasts for life I need me some PIE!

If everyone is worried about catalyst make it 4 DMG like before but make abillity cheaper.

16. Pedeguerra

Nobody is worried about that. To be honest, that was just a fail post by Markoth. Move on.

17. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Man, you need to go ********** or something. Let off some steam and stuff, you know?

18. Pedeguerra

Bleh, not worth it.

Makorov likes this.
  19. Pedeguerra

Well, I edited my post before your reply, so there you have it.

20. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Fair enough, I deleted my **** response. Good thing one of us is mature, huh?

Edit: And I mean you, not me.